LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Rear Window sunscreen rattle

Old 03-08-14, 10:53 AM
schulzd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window sunscreen rattle

Am new to club lexus. joined hoping to find member's who've experienced various maintenance/repair issues and have been able to resolve them either with the dealer or another shop. My rear window sunscreen appears to be the source of an annoying thud like sound most evident driving around town. Less so on the highway.
Old 03-15-14, 09:58 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have similar rattle, are u sure it's from sunshade or some other component in rear area?
Old 03-15-14, 10:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Sun? What is this thing you Californians call sun? We don't have that in the northeast.

I haven't used the sunscreen in 9 months, but I never had a rattle from it the two times I used it.
Old 03-16-14, 07:06 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

We get lots of hot sun down here in Texas. I use my sunscreen a lot. No rattles up or down.
Old 03-16-14, 09:11 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Can you see in your rear view mirror that the top of the sunscreen bounces while driving? My sunscreen did that (you could hear a thud when it hit the glass) and was replaced years ago while under warranty.
Old 03-17-14, 08:31 AM
schulzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kbueno
Have similar rattle, are u sure it's from sunshade or some other component in rear area?
No, not sure it is the sunscreen assembly. Had the rear suspension components checked out by my mechanic as at first I thought it might be related to that (having read posts about broken struts, etc.). Suspension components are fine and car handles fine under all driving conditions. A friend mentioned a rattle in his GS model that was traced to the sunscreen and repaired. Thud/sound comes and goes regardless of whether the suspension is active as a result of road conditions. So, I've pretty much eliminated the suspension. Once, after deploying the shade, the thud completely stopped for awhile, then recurred regardless of the position of the shade (up or down). I suspect it may be the mounting component for the sunscreen and am reluctant to return to dealer as they don't do well with diagnosis and often suggest unnecessary repairs. Have also check the spare tire/jack compartment for loose items. No luck there either.
Old 03-17-14, 08:33 AM
schulzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Sun? What is this thing you Californians call sun? We don't have that in the northeast.

I haven't used the sunscreen in 9 months, but I never had a rattle from it the two times I used it.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-17-14, 08:34 AM
schulzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
We get lots of hot sun down here in Texas. I use my sunscreen a lot. No rattles up or down.
Ok. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-17-14, 08:42 AM
schulzd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Can you see in your rear view mirror that the top of the sunscreen bounces while driving? My sunscreen did that (you could hear a thud when it hit the glass) and was replaced years ago while under warranty.
Sunscreen is ok deployed in the up position and does not bounce against the window. The thud appears regardless of the position of the sunscreen. It was a friend with a GS model that mentioned a similar noise in the rear of his car. Dealer fixed. Car is due for maintenance soon, so will mention it when I drop it off for service. Unfortunately, my dealer's original "ride along" diagnosis was a complete strut replacement for $8K!. Took car to my mechanic who, up on the hoist, checked out the suspension and found no cracks, breaks or malfunctioning components. So feel it is reasonable to eliminated the suspension as the source of the noise. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-17-14, 10:25 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Let us know what you find out. I've narrowed my noise to drivers side corner in rear. I've even had the seat out to look under cover. I was afraid to go any further as that cover in the back seems firmly connected..bolted? Need a DIY. My Dealer, like yours...no help
Old 03-23-14, 05:12 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Default Rear Rattle Identified

Figured out rattle finally. Dealer failed to locate. My rattle was definitely connected to left rear suspension but checked out OK. Pulled back seat and opened up rear valance/dash. There is a small steel cover that sits over the suspension top. It covers an electronic connector. I'm unsure of its purpose other than to protect the connector. Anyway, the top of the plastic connector rubs on the cover. I can see where it's worn over the years.. It really doesn't make sense, it looks like the top was pushed out a bit. Why wouldn't cover clear connector? See pic.

Removed cover and no more noise. Anyone seen this before? Strange. I'm second owner, but everything looked fresh from factory. (No scratches, broken clips, worn bolts)

Shulzd: sure it's not this?
Attached Thumbnails Rear Window sunscreen rattle-image.jpg  

Last edited by Kbueno; 03-23-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 02:01 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thread revival...

I am experiencing a similar sound. It is just an annoying little rattle that I thought was related to a strut on the right rear. In looking up my service history, the previous owner complained about it twice. The last time they replaced the right rear strut. But the noise is still there.

I have had my seat out and couldn't find anything. i am now curious if this is the culprit.

Did the noise ever come back after removing this? Thanks
Old 11-04-14, 02:43 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here!

My sun screen/shade is always in the "up" position (makes my car a 5% tint instead of 15%!) and i experience this very unnerving thump as well.

i've always just thought it to be a suspension thing especially since they did the rear suspension work.
Old 11-10-14, 04:39 PM
schulzd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information. My mechanic had one of his guys ride in the trunk of the car to determine if they could further isolate the location where the thud is coming from. No real luck there except that they acknowledge the noise and their suspicion is a defective strut even though they did a pretty thorough visual inspection last spring. I've had the car in storage for the last 6 months and am now going to have the strut replaced as soon as my mechanic can schedule it. After reading the last two posts (dated 11/04/14), I'm not sure this will solve the noise problem. We'll see.
Old 11-10-14, 05:48 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm going to try post #11 and see if that solves my issue as soon as I get time. Problem is the weather is almost 60 degrees so I'm trying to get in a few more days on the bike before its too cold.

I've already taken my seat out thinking that was the problem but it wasn't so I just have to go a little further.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Window sunscreen rattle