LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Shaking at 70-75mph!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 06:27 AM
frshdo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking at 70-75mph!!

I drive a 2007 LS460 L Touring 69k, when I'm driving at 65 smooth as butter but once I get to 70-75 it starts to shake. It's driving me crazy. I've got the tires rebalanced and replace new oem rotors and pads. Can't find out the problem.
Old 02-26-14, 07:16 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by frshdo
I drive a 2007 LS460 L Touring 69k, when I'm driving at 65 smooth as butter but once I get to 70-75 it starts to shake. It's driving me crazy. I've got the tires rebalanced and replace new oem rotors and pads. Can't find out the problem.
See if you feel some shake in the steering wheel when you're doing 45+ and turning (something like an on-ramp). Also, are you hearing any increased noise during the turns. If so it could mean a bad wheel bearing.
Old 02-26-14, 07:17 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Get a road force balance
Old 02-26-14, 08:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Get a road force balance
+1

It's not cheap... but well worth it.
Old 02-26-14, 08:40 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

What kind of "shake" - a vigorous steering wheel shimmy, the whole car, etc.? I went through a long and ultimately successful process with my car to get rid of difficult-to-troubleshoot vibration issues and can share more details as needed but need more info from you.

Having said this, before even thinking of anything more complicated, I agree that a good road force balance would be a good next step (if you haven't done so already).
Old 02-26-14, 08:43 AM
frshdo
Driver School Candidate

The shaking comes more from the wheels... Then the steering wheel itself. I've already got the tires balanced.

Last edited by frshdo; 02-26-14 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 09:01 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

The shaking comes more from the wheels... Then the steering wheel itself. I've already got the tires balanced.
It is standard equipment at Lexus dealerships, I believe, but you can also look at www.gsp9700.com
Old 02-26-14, 09:57 AM
scottkroug
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caha14
It is standard equipment at Lexus dealerships, I believe, but you can also look at www.gsp9700.com
^^^^^Also standard equipment at Toyota and Chevrolet dealerships..

First thing the OP should do is jack the car up enough to get your hand under the tire.
Take the tire with one hand on bottom 6oclock and one on top 12 oclock and try to move the tire back and forth.
Even the slightest bit of movement and your wheel bearings need replacement.

Then grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 oclock position and try to move back and forth.

Do this slowly.. no need to grab and gorilla the tire to move.. You are feeling for loose suspension.. IE: steering issues.. Do each front wheel one at a time..
Let us know how it works out for you.
Good luck
Old 02-26-14, 11:10 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Road force balance is a more advanced method of balancing wheels/tires..ive had tires balanced many times with my "free road hazard package" but issues are resolved when they are road forced. Could be bearings or in many cases the LS control arms go bad and need replacements. Do you feel vibrations in the seats? Put a half full water bottle in your pass and rear seats..if it shows a lot of ripples from vibration. .not sloshing from movement..then it's most likely your tires. You could have a bad tire that is out of round. .it happens. Road force will pinpoint that..thats your cheapest option. When I first got my tires, the balance was great until I got to about 65. I got road force and it took care of it and glass smooth to at least 100mph Here in ATL I get my 22s road forced for $65 out the door

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-26-14 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 11:16 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

This is weird we had just had this with out LS460 took it to lexus and its fixed. unsure of the issue.
Old 02-26-14, 12:37 PM
frshdo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Road force balance is a more advanced method of balancing wheels/tires..ive had tires balanced many times with my "free road hazard package" but issues are resolved when they are road forced. Could be bearings or in many cases the LS control arms go bad and need replacements. Do you feel vibrations in the seats? Put a half full water bottle in your pass and rear seats..if it shows a lot of ripples from vibration. .not sloshing from movement..then it's most likely your tires. You could have a bad tire that is out of round. .it happens. Road force will pinpoint that..thats your cheapest option. When I first got my tires, the balance was great until I got to about 65. I got road force and it took care of it and glass smooth to at least 100mph Here in ATL I get my 22s road forced for $65 out the door
Yes there is a lot of vibration... When I drive alone the passenger seat shakes bad. Let me do the wiggle test to see if there's anything wrong with the suspension. I'm sure the air bag is not leaking bc I don't see any oil stains.

Thanks a lot CL!! Appreciate it. I will let y'all know how it goes. For me a LS isn't suppose to feel like this.
Old 02-27-14, 10:17 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am truly the vibration guru for the LS since mine shook for 31 months. You need to start with the balance, then check the tires ( was my issue in the end), then have them check the driveshaft. Their is a TSIB on the driveshaft in the LS. It could also be bad upper control arm bushing.

I am without a doubt the person on this forum who had vibrations for the longest time. It was maddening. I would lose sleep because nobody could figure it out. In the end it was a bad set of tires and a bad driveshaft on my cat. Good luck buddy.
Old 02-27-14, 10:38 AM
scottkroug
Rookie

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am truly the vibration guru for the LS since mine shook for 31 months. In the end it was a bad set of tires and a bad driveshaft on my cat. Good luck buddy.
Wow I am gonna run home and check to see if my cat is vibrating... BTW I didn't even know he had a driveshaft
Old 02-27-14, 10:55 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lol... saw that typo too and couldn't think of any jokes to f/up with
Old 02-27-14, 11:12 AM
scottkroug
Rookie

Sorry But I am a weak person and could not resist

Quick Reply: Shaking at 70-75mph!!