LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls430 vs ls460

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-14, 08:03 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

How some of you people have a hard time distinguishing between these two cars is beyond me.

Old 02-28-14, 08:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

LOL. C'mon Ascari...those front ends (especially the grill) are identical!
Old 03-01-14, 08:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I have mistaken a Camry for an LS460 from the rear at a distance, I think its the taillamp design with the turn signals/reverse lights at the top.
Old 03-01-14, 11:45 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That and the shape of the trunk and how it meet the rear quarter...similar esp from a distance
Old 03-01-14, 12:03 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This argument will go on forever because we see things thru different lenses as someone said before. The LS460 and Camry are not identical but do share some similar profiles and design languages. There's nothing wrong with that. Jeez!! VW and Audi's also share similar traits but it doesn't diminish the Audi in anyway for me. Its called family resemblance or in automobile terms, corporate design language. Some of us share looks with our cousins, uncles, aunts even though we are not direct siblings. Toyota and Lexus are not excluded from this. Nevertheless, if you don't see it then you don't see it. No love lost!

Last edited by Slvr surfr; 08-21-14 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-01-14, 07:20 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
This argument will go on forever because we see things thru different lenses as someone said before. The LS460 and Camry are not identical but do share some similar profiles and design languages. There's nothing wrong with that. Jeez!! VW and Audi's also share similar traits but it doesn't diminish the Audi in anyway for me. Its called family resemblance or in automobile terms, corporate design language. Some of us share looks with our cousins, uncles, aunts even though we are nit direct siblings. Toyota and Lexus are not excluded from this. Nevertheless, if you don't see it then you don't see it. No love lost!
I see your point and it's all good my friend!
Old 04-13-14, 12:40 PM
mafpolo
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Who care that it looks similar too

All the Audi's look alike now, but that wouldn't stop me from buying an A8...even though from a distance it's hard to tell an A4 from an A8. A8's sell plenty well.

In my opinion the LS460 may have some design similarities, they really don't look alike. I have a 430, I think it's good looking, and I also think it is dated. I'd like to look at other luxury cars, but I am not comfortable owning another brand out of warranty (although my wife's A8 is out of warranty, and so far, so good). I just want to know if the LS460 is as reliable as the 430.
I am concerned that one post in this thread had a Lexus mechanic saying the LS460 is not as reliable, and he was looking for a 430.

I like to keep my cars for a long time. It seems like when I go look at a new car, I get back in my 430, and go, "this is such a nice car. I don't love what I drove enough to get rid of it." This feeling needs to go away at some point....even the LS 430 won't last forever. Driver's seat feels and looks new. Ride still feels new thanks to air suspension, which will bite me in the wallet one day.
Old 04-13-14, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I am concerned that one post in this thread had a Lexus mechanic saying the LS460 is not as reliable, and he was looking for a 430.
That post was from me. His only concern was the issue with control arms thats been discussed, thats why he advised the 430 over the 460.
Old 04-15-14, 08:38 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have enough time to read through all five pages but I'll just quickly say that I have owned the following:

2005 LS430
2008 LS460L
2012 LS460L

Technology-wise, the LS460 is the better car. It also looks nicer - to me. Other than that, I like everything else about the LS430. I don't feel much of a power difference in the LS460L. In fact, mine have both felt like they performed about the same. The LS430 was noticeably quieter and smoother. And everything inside the car felt more luxurious. If I could place the body and technology on an LS430, I'd downgrade...

In fact, Lexus has probably lost me as a customer. I hate to say it but I'm not as impressed as I used to be. Maybe I'll be back when the GS-F is available...

On another note, when I hear somebody compare a Lexus LS to a Toyota Camry, I immediately stop valuing their opinion on anything - making them quite useless to me...

Last edited by Sal Collaziano; 04-15-14 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 09:04 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't the LS have more in common with the Avalon? I always equated them as cousins and the es and the Camry,and the is and the carolla as cousins
Old 04-15-14, 09:05 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new ES and Avalon use the same platform.
Old 04-16-14, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tsmith1982
Wouldn't the LS have more in common with the Avalon? I always equated them as cousins and the es and the Camry,and the is and the carolla as cousins
The LS has nothing in common with the Avalon, and the IS has nothing in common with the Corolla. Completely different platforms, RWD vs FWD, etc.
Old 08-21-14, 12:15 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tee
I see your point and it's all good my friend!
Yes its been brought back to life!

Tee, since i know you have experience with both vehicles how does the rear seat ride on the 460L's compare to the 430's? Im not sure if you've ever had a chance to be a backseat passenger in either one but if so, can you elaborate a lil?
Old 08-21-14, 02:28 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you have an AWESOME company like Toyota capable of producing exceptionally good cars with flawlwess reliability to two different demographics, success is in the genes. EXPECT IT!!!! LOVE IT!!

Both cars top the reliability charts
Both cars rank high in their perspective class
Both cars are well received by their perspective owners
If success flows downward, then line'em all up and let'em drink from the LS's fountain of perfection.

Last edited by Pamperme; 08-21-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-21-14, 04:03 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Pamperme
When you have an AWESOME company like Toyota capable of producing exceptionally good cars with flawlwess reliability to two different demographics, success is in the genes. EXPECT IT!!!! LOVE IT!!

Both cars top the reliability charts
Both cars rank high in their perspective class
Both cars are well received by their perspective owners
If success flows downward, then line'em all up and let'em drink from the LS's fountain of perfection.
I cant agree more. I have some tell me that the 460 is an over grown Camry and I let them know that it is. There is more money in the R&D of a Camry them most other cars for good reason and that's because it needs to be a leader in it's price point otherwise the company will tank. They say the technology trickles down but in this case it actually helps that a large company like Toyota refines its productivity methods so they can give all their cars and trucks great reliability and value.

Quick Reply: Ls430 vs ls460