LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Wash Issue with AWD

Old 02-03-14, 08:07 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Car Wash Issue with AWD

Ok so I have a '13 LS460 AWD and I got it washed the other day and when they went to pull it inside the detail shop which uses a conveyor belt (the kind like the moving walkway at an airport) they pulled it half way in so the front wheels were on the conveyor belt moving forward and the back wheels were on the concrete in the drive way up to the conveyor and then they put it into park while it was half way in. I watched this happen through the big glass windows and before I could say anything the car looked like it got low to the ground as if the tension from the car moving forward but being held back by the rear tires was pulling the car to the ground. Then I saw him tirelessly with two hands trying to shift the car into drive and when he finally got it out of park a VERY loud shuttering sound echoed throughout the detail shop and the car jolted/jumped back up. I did not get any warning messages and it seemed to drive ok but I am wondering what kind of damage this could have caused. I talked to the car wash manager and he said it happens all the time and nothing bad ever happens but I don't know what I should do. I am worried about what kind of damage could have happened and any advice as to what I should look out for.

Thank you for taking the time to read that!

-Joe
Old 02-03-14, 09:52 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow, that is crazy. I take my AWD through and never had a problem. Car is in neutral so not sure why you would have driveline issues. But then again, i am stationary and then shift into neutral and then the belt pulls the car through
Old 02-03-14, 10:19 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Wow, that is crazy. I take my AWD through and never had a problem. Car is in neutral so not sure why you would have driveline issues. But then again, i am stationary and then shift into neutral and then the belt pulls the car through
That's the thing, the employee pulled the car onto the moving belt and then put the car in park so the front of the car was being pulled forward while the rear of the car was not on the belt moving forward.

-Joe
Old 02-03-14, 10:40 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by jamodeo
That's the thing, the employee pulled the car onto the moving belt and then put the car in park so the front of the car was being pulled forward while the rear of the car was not on the belt moving forward.

-Joe
I see, well you have it documented. That doesn't sound good under any cicurmstances so lets just hope that didn't shorten the transmission's life. see if car vibrates when doing u-turns or vibrates at highway speeds past 55mph. You should make it a point that you have AWD next time and tell them that all 4 wheels need to be on belt before allowing the belt to engage and start pulling
Old 02-03-14, 11:52 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I have no idea how these modern transmissions are designed. The last one I saw work on was a '65 Ponitac. When placed in PARK, a pin slid into a slot to lock the gears. It was possible to shear this pin and hence no longer have PARK. I assume you still have PARK?

If I were you I would ask to talk to a tech at your dealership who knows how these operate. Explain what happened to him and see what he says. You may even have to escalate up to a factory expert for a knowledgeable opinion.
Old 02-03-14, 12:32 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I have no idea how these modern transmissions are designed. The last one I saw work on was a '65 Ponitac. When placed in PARK, a pin slid into a slot to lock the gears. It was possible to shear this pin and hence no longer have PARK. I assume you still have PARK?

If I were you I would ask to talk to a tech at your dealership who knows how these operate. Explain what happened to him and see what he says. You may even have to escalate up to a factory expert for a knowledgeable opinion.
Be careful about revealing a 3rd party possibly damaged your transmission. Lexus could try to void your warranty.
Old 02-03-14, 12:59 PM
jamodeo

Ok so update to my post, I brought the car to Lexus and they say everything looks good, they test drove it, hooked up the computer to scan for any trouble codes and then put it up on the lift to visually inspect everything. They speculate the loud noise was just the parking link thing that locks the car in park made the loud noise when it was shifted into gear much like it would make a noise if you were on a large incline or decline but with more force on it. As to the warranty concern, I brought this up and he told me not to worry because I brought it there for inspection and they signed off on it.

I appreciate everybody's feedback!

-Joe
Old 02-03-14, 01:43 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The loud pop or banging sound was probably the rollers and chain going underneath the car because the car was in park. The drive on guy probably wasn't trained properly.
Old 02-03-14, 02:30 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Hey Joe, that's good news.

As for -

I talked to the car wash manager and he said it happens all the time
How hard is it to train someone so they DON'T PUT IT IN PARK!
Old 02-03-14, 07:24 PM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Hey Joe, that's good news.

As for -

How hard is it to train someone so they DON'T PUT IT IN PARK!
I was very frustrated when he said that. Lets just say I won't be bringing my car back there lol.

-Joe
Old 02-03-14, 08:46 PM
CJITTY

Good point about the rollers..thats probably what the sound was, I agree
Happened to me last month with our suv..thought I was in neutral. .nope..park lol
Old 02-04-14, 05:54 AM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for this warning. I will keep it in mind. an ounce or protection as they say.

glad your car is not damaged.
Old 02-04-14, 08:51 AM
jamodeo

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Good point about the rollers..thats probably what the sound was, I agree
Happened to me last month with our suv..thought I was in neutral. .nope..park lol
It wasn't a roller, it was the interior detail shop, the whole floor moved like the moving walkway at an airport.

-Joe
Old 02-04-14, 09:31 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by jamodeo
It wasn't a roller, it was the interior detail shop, the whole floor moved like the moving walkway at an airport.

-Joe
Oh snap my bad...ok, that's different. Never seen that before. Sounds like an elaborate operation there.