LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls 460 Subwoofer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 03:11 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up adding a Kicker amp with a Polk 10" subwoofer in the truck. I am in the process of building a custom subwoofer enclosure. I currently have the sub in a premade box. It sounds so much better. The stock subwoofer is still hooked up. I added a line output converter off the stock subwoofer speaker wires. I also added a volume controller in the RCA line to the amp. It allows me to adjust the amp/subwoofer volume. The volume controller is mounted in my footwell so I can adjust it while driving. Having the aftermarket subwoofer is awesome!!! It fills in a missing component on the stock stereo. For 30 years I never had a sub woofer in my house stereo until a year ago. Same thing there. A big part of the listening experience was missing. Now, I have a 15" subwoofer on one of my house stereos and hate listening to TV, movies, and especially music without it. Until you experience a good subwoofer you don't realize what you're missing. But, once you have it, you won't want to listen without it.
Old 02-23-14, 06:02 AM
pmiller
Driver

I finished the custom ported box for the subwoofer. This is great add to the stock stereo. Has anyone else done this? If you haven't and you are an audiophile or semi-audiophile that likes some bass, you should give this a try. The stock Mark Levinson system didn't produce enough bass for me.
Old 02-23-14, 09:56 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any pics of the box or dimension so others can tackle this. i have a little bass in the trunk but not a built box....
Old 02-23-14, 10:58 AM
pmiller
Driver

I followed this box design for mine except I modified it for only one driver/subwoofer.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/boa...io-dxi104-dvc/
Old 02-23-14, 02:52 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Has anyone else done this? If you haven't and you are an audiophile or semi-audiophile that likes some bass, you should give this a try. The stock Mark Levinson system didn't produce enough bass for me.
You mention "audioplhile", but thing is, this system was designed by true audiophiles and IS a true audiophile system. Massive bass that overpowers the balance, does not go hand-in-hand with the term "audiophile" IMO. There's enough bass in my system to shake my rear- view mirror. When I play various pieces from Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb for example), I am AMAZED by the bass tones. The clarity and balance is ASTOUNDING.

I understand the desire to tinker with our vehicles of which I am guilty. But no way (unless something craps the bed in my system as in your case with the sub), am I going to start randomly replacing components and upsetting the delicate balance.

Anyway, as long as YOU like it....that's all that matters.
Old 02-23-14, 03:06 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

thanks pmiller you got some pics of yours??
Old 02-23-14, 04:49 PM
pmiller
Driver

Wink

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You mention "audioplhile", but thing is, this system was designed by true audiophiles and IS a true audiophile system. Massive bass that overpowers the balance, does not go hand-in-hand with the term "audiophile" IMO. There's enough bass in my system to shake my rear- view mirror. When I play various pieces from Pink Floyd (Comfortably Numb for example), I am AMAZED by the bass tones. The clarity and balance is ASTOUNDING.

I understand the desire to tinker with our vehicles of which I am guilty. But no way (unless something craps the bed in my system as in your case with the sub), am I going to start randomly replacing components and upsetting the delicate balance.

Anyway, as long as YOU like it....that's all that matters.
Being an audiophile is "to be enthusiastic about music reproduction". The best system for one person is not the same as for another person. As a member of Audiokarma, I can attest that everyone has there own tastes. There are all kinds of stereo systems. Audiophiles are constantly making changes. Looking at it like you do would mean there is no reason to modify your car at all. After all, highly trained and educated automotive engineers designed it, correct? Why would you change anything? But here we are on a website that people discuss their "mods". One thing I've learned over the past year or so as I've gotten into stereos and automobiles, to each his own. We all have our own tastes, likes, dislikes, wants, desires, etc. I'm glad you're happy with your stereo. I was not and took the initiative to make a change.
FWIW, I added a 10" subwoofer. It hardly qualifies as massive bass overpower the system.
Peace be with you!
Old 02-23-14, 05:18 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by Lextrician
thanks pmiller you got some pics of yours??
It ain't pretty by any means...
Attached Thumbnails Ls 460 Subwoofer Replacement-image.jpg  
Old 02-23-14, 05:20 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by pmiller
It ain't pretty by any means...
Wire coming out of the stock subwoofer...
Old 02-23-14, 05:20 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

thanks any pics of the box sitting in the trunk I just wanted to see how it fits in the trunk.
Old 02-23-14, 05:25 PM
pmiller
Driver

Wire coming out of the stock subwoofer...
Line out converter...
Old 02-23-14, 05:31 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by Lextrician
thanks any pics of the box sitting in the trunk I just wanted to see how it fits in the trunk.
No picture of it in the trunk. The box sits over to one side right behind the back seats. The box is approximately 14x16x16. I am not finished. I plan to mount the amp, LOC,wires, etc. also, plan to paint or cover the sub box.
Old 02-24-14, 08:03 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Being an audiophile is "to be enthusiastic about music reproduction". The best system for one person is not the same as for another person. As a member of Audiokarma, I can attest that everyone has there own tastes. There are all kinds of stereo systems. Audiophiles are constantly making changes. Looking at it like you do would mean there is no reason to modify your car at all. After all, highly trained and educated automotive engineers designed it, correct? Why would you change anything? But here we are on a website that people discuss their "mods". One thing I've learned over the past year or so as I've gotten into stereos and automobiles, to each his own. We all have our own tastes, likes, dislikes, wants, desires, etc. I'm glad you're happy with your stereo. I was not and took the initiative to make a change.
FWIW, I added a 10" subwoofer. It hardly qualifies as massive bass overpower the system.
Peace be with you!
Yep I think we're one the same page. You asked for opinions and I gave mine. I believe you may have misinterpreted my post.

I've installed, modified, and repaired more car, boat and RV stereo systems than I care to remember, LOL.I am very **** about automotive stereo - to the point where I even solder and heat wrap my connections and avoid crimps as much as possible lol. But I just found that the ML system is as good as it gets. As for the other mods to the car, there again, there are things I would never touch because I trust the engineers. BUT like you said, here we are discussing mods on a forum.....trust me, I get it! There are things that I would and HAVE modified, that you probably would say, "wtf?!". LOL.

And peace to you too
Old 02-24-14, 09:49 AM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yep I think we're one the same page. You asked for opinions and I gave mine. I believe you may have misinterpreted my post.

I've installed, modified, and repaired more car, boat and RV stereo systems than I care to remember, LOL.I am very **** about automotive stereo - to the point where I even solder and heat wrap my connections and avoid crimps as much as possible lol. But I just found that the ML system is as good as it gets. As for the other mods to the car, there again, there are things I would never touch because I trust the engineers. BUT like you said, here we are discussing mods on a forum.....trust me, I get it! There are things that I would and HAVE modified, that you probably would say, "wtf?!". LOL.

And peace to you too
We are on the same page...awesome!!!
Old 02-24-14, 06:51 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

yaaaay we are all on the same page..

Quick Reply: Ls 460 Subwoofer Replacement