LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS purchase / 2009 or 2010 or 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 10:54 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by ironman50
Tee,

Do you actually have a job / career or monitor this forum 24 - 7?
Ironman,

Saw your rude note here and felt you needed a public response.

ALL our moderators on CL are unpaid volunteers – we do this because we care for this community. Moderators such as Tee put in their own 12 hour day at ‘real work’ and afterward come onto CL to participate in the forums, help members, organize and police the forums, etc. Many of us have been doing this for 15 years on CL.

The moderator team tries to make things easy by posting FAQs (such as this one) and DIYs at the top of each forum, and we do have the expectation that members will try to help themselves first by at least starting by reading the FAQ and searching. As you can imagine, it gets a bit repetitive seeing the same basic questions week-after-week year-after-year when the answers are already right there. And this isn’t just from the moderator team, many of our most helpful long-term members also get fatigued from seeing the same topics time after time.

If, after doing that 10 minutes of basic reading or searching, you still have questions by all means start up a thread, there are ALWAYS new questions or new perspectives needed. “Hey I read all the links in the FAQ and searched but I have a question about X or Y” will get a totally different reaction. In the FAQ for your specific question posted here are a Buying Advice thread, tips when purchasing a CPO thread, differences between years thread, several threads on common issues to look out for, etc. A great start.

All we’re asking here is for folks is to do a bit of basic looking first before posting. You’ve been a member long enough to recognize that without insulting the moderator.

If you’d like to discuss further, please PM me.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-29-14 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Added FAQ link
Old 01-29-14, 01:36 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 428 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan78
Nospinzone - I would like to speak with you in regards to this subject. Do you mind a PM?

Thanks
Ryan, absolutely send me a PM.

As an aside for everyone, a PM can be sent any time to any member without asking permission (of course applying the same guidelines of civility as in the public forums).
Old 01-29-14, 01:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,755 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by etwd
He was nice enough to tell me that he has seen too many cost cutting measures after 2010 that paid for the 2010 LS revision - if that makes any sense to you.

You can read between the lines in many comments relating to the 2011 through 2012 cars. Navigation comes to mind.....

I can only attest to the problems in our 2012 and the constant minor, sometimes major (Brakes) irritating problems that prompted Lexus to get us into a new LS without charge.

The 2010 has been bullet-proof and a pleasure to own. For the record, I don't care for the new LS interior at all.
With all due respect to your mechanic friend, the assertion that 2010 quality is better than 2011 or 2012 doesn't really make any sense. The refresh was done in 2010...the 2011 and 2012 models are just carryover from 2010. If there was a quality difference you would see it comparing 2010s with 2007-2009s. When you look at reliability and quality data theres also nothing to support the idea that a 2010 is built better or is more reliable than say a 2011 or 2012. All the parts are the same, brakes are the same, navigation is the same, part numbers are absolutely the same and interchangeable. Lexus certainly has reduced some quality generation over generation, but within a generation I've never seen any changes. If he were saying the 2009 was a higher quality vehicle since it was the last year before the refresh at least that would make sense.

I know you had issues with your 2012 and haven't with your 2010, but thats just luck more than it having to do with the year.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
ALL our moderators on CL are unpaid volunteers – we do this because we care for this community. Moderators such as Tee put in their own 12 hour day at ‘real work’ and afterward come onto CL to participate in the forums, help members, organize and police the forums, etc. Many of us have been doing this for 15 years on CL.
Just to add to what Dave said...its also not a whole lot of fun being a forum moderator...moving threads around...it colors people's perceptions of you when you're just talking in the forums...you get attitude like this. Good forum mods deserve our respect...from what I've seen here everybody seems good particularly Tee. These guys do a good job here and out in the Lexus community, and they have been doing it many of them for a LONG time. Respect is due, IMHO.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-29-14 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 02:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Geeeezzzzz. I am not a politician looking for votes guy. I just stated information bestowed upon me from a chief Lexus Mechanic. Good Gawd! Please take your medication and lighten up. I would take his word against yours all day long. The reason I am into a 2014 is directly because of his diagnosis of the 2012
I think you completely misread my tone...no "medication" or lightening up needed here. Just sharing my logic for why I personally would not worry about any quality difference between 2010-2011-2012 models despite your mechanic's feelings with the group. They can come to their own conclusions about what to purchase. Nothing magically changes when a model year ends and a new one begins if there aren't any model changes. Production is continuous, the same parts are used, same suppliers, same supply on hand. They don't just throw out "2010 parts" and start using "2011 parts". Personally, I'd always buy the newest one I could afford.
Old 01-29-14, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mine was brand new on both purchases (just for your record). The gentleman asked a 'simple' question and I gave him a 'simple' answer. Obviously, I insulted you which was never the intent. I am merely expressing my own account of (2)-different cars - separated by manufactured time.

I did not misread your comment; and in your rage, you must have forgotten the use of the
'caps lock' key (just kidding guy)
I am not insulted, angered or "enraged" in the slightest and I promise you you misread my comment (I've read it three times trying to see how you did, and I don't). I simply disagree with your mechanic's logic, and I shared that viewpoint with the group deciding between these model years...thats all. Whether you bought new or not is immaterial, the posters in this thread are obviously buying used which is why they were asking what year to purchase. My advice to them would be "I would buy the newest year you can afford".
Old 01-29-14, 02:30 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Geeeezzzzz. I am not a politician looking for votes guy. I just stated information bestowed upon me from a chief Lexus Mechanic. Good Gawd! Please take your medication and lighten up. I would take his word against yours all day long. The reason I am into a 2014 is directly because of his diagnosis of the 2012
etwd, if you want to argue whether you believe your mechanic over someone else, that is fair game and have at it. Writing personal insults like "take your medication" is not.

Now on to some factual information. Consumer Reports is a far more comprehensive survey of vehicle years than any other source that I am aware of. According to their most recent used car report, there is very little difference in reliability between MY 2010, 2011 and 2012. Here is a summary of the differences -

Drive System, less than 1% for 2010 and 2011, less than 2% for 2012

Suspension, greater than 3% for 2010 and 2011, less than 1% for 2012

Brakes, greater than 3% for 2010 and 2012, less than 2% for 2011

Paint/trim, less than 2% for 2010, less than 1% for 20111 and 2012

Body integrity, less than 2% 2010, less than 1% 2011, greater than 3% 2012

Audio system, greater than 3% 2010, less than 2% 2011 and 2012

So as you can see overall there is really no significant difference between any of these model years. I don't doubt that your befriended chief mechanic has seen more problems with 2011 and 2012 cars, but I just question whether he has seen enough of a sample size to make a scientific conclusion.
Old 01-29-14, 02:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was looking for that info from CR myself Nospin...

Another thing to remember, Toyota/Lexus does not wait until the end of a model year to change something if there are issues, they will make an adjustment midyear. You see this all the time with ECU flashes, etc. Look at TSBs and the VIN range affected, only a certain range not the whole model year, meaning a change was implemented during production. Some other brands don't do things this way, although most do now.

So, in all actuality a late run 2011 and an early run 2012 or whatever are actually basically exactly the same, the model year is kind of meaningless. Thats why you are more likely to see a reliability difference when you have a refresh or new model, because there actually is a production change at the model year change in that situation (i.e. 2009 to 2010. 2012 to 2013 etc)

You too? Have you not been following my posts??

Obviously, you are right and I am wrong. Tears runneth down my cheeks and I am now curled up in a fetal position sucking my thumb. Just back up and run over me one more time - PLEASE!!
So nobody is allowed to post a viewpoint that doesn't mirror yours? Thats not very fair. We're being more than respectful towards you given your attitude...how about a little of that back towards us?

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-29-14 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 02:41 PM
Simmsled
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-29-14, 02:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I understand that you don't care and that we aren't going to change your mind, but people are reading these threads in an effort to help themselves make a purchase decision...and more input from a variety of sources is more valuable than input from one source.
Old 01-29-14, 03:06 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

I'll write this as clearly as I can make it. It is perfectly acceptable to argue, and argue vehemently, any viewpoint you have. However, everything you write must be respectful of others and be devoid of insults or other personal attacks.

If you feel anything I or anyone else has said that is inappropriate, you are welcome to PM myself, another moderator or an administrator.
Old 01-29-14, 03:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Now you are trying to change my mind???? About what? About how perfectly content I am with my 2010 LS460 w/ ML or maybe the fact that I don't like the 2014 LS interior? Or maybe change my mind about Lexus exchanging my problematic 2012 LS 460 w/ ML for a brand new 2014 LS 460 w/ ML? Come on guy................
I said I was not trying to change your mind. I don't care what you drive or have or like or don't like. I have every right to share my experience and viewpoint with the members of the forum same as you and everyone else.

I've posted in this thread in an effort to help the OP and others in their decision process between a 2010, 2011 or 2012. Thats all.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-29-14 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-29-14, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm out lol. Good luck...
Old 01-29-14, 05:32 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Etwd, sw13gs - would like you guys to exit this thread

Guys this is a sticky in another CL subforum but it's starting to need to apply here. I would like you both to take it to heart.... A lot of senseless back and forth arguing in this thread that should have been walked away from many posts ago.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-is-forum.html

Don't want to see anything again like this either ....absolutely inappropriate way to respond to a respectful reply, even if you disagree.
You too? Have you not been following my posts??

Obviously, you are right and I am wrong. Tears runneth down my cheeks and I am now curled up in a fetal position sucking my thumb. Just back up and run over me one more time - PLEASE!!
Old 01-29-14, 06:55 PM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I am responsible for starting a boxing match.

etwd, for what's it worth your comments were very helpful. So thank you for your input.
Old 01-29-14, 07:58 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

I am responsible for starting a boxing match
No you're not. Don't worry about it! :-)

I do notice that this forum is a little different from the many others I've belonged to and had significant input into. I'm hoping things improve, becasue this forum is the only game around for the LS460. There are some good people here.

Quick Reply: LS purchase / 2009 or 2010 or 2011