LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 LS Headlamp washer assembly ripped out at car wash!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 10:10 AM
Z0SICK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 LS Headlamp washer assembly ripped out at car wash!?!?!?

Hello, so as the title says.... Unfortunately, the Robo-wash ripped out the headlamp washer underneath the passenger headlamp. I'm awaiting response from owner of establishment....

Anyone had to replace this assembly? Est. cost?
Similar occurrences?
Will entire headlamp need to be replaced? Est. cost?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks CL.
Old 01-20-14, 07:28 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That thing normally sits flush with the headlight. You're probably spraying your windshield with washer fluid for it to come out?
Old 01-20-14, 10:10 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
That thing normally sits flush with the headlight. You're probably spraying your windshield with washer fluid for it to come out?
Yeah, I manage car washes and never seen this happen.
Old 01-20-14, 10:17 AM
PrinceAkim
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're speaking about the silver nozzle cover that comes out to allow the spray (07-09 LS), this has happened to me also. Mine however was not from a carwash, it just happened to fall off. You have two choices. You can replace the nozzle assembly altogether. I believe this was anywhere between 150-300. Or, you can do what I did. I found the nozzle cover on ebay. Unfortunately it wouldn't for back onto the assembly so I had to use double sided tape to make it fir back into place. This didn't bother me as I wouldn't ever use the headlamp spray, and I hated the way it looked with the missing silver trim. Hope this helped.
Old 01-23-14, 05:55 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry to highjack this thread but about that washer...does anyone know when it goes on? Mine seems to be random. Meaning when i use my washers to clean my windshield they may or may not activate the headlight washers.
Old 01-23-14, 08:01 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Sorry to highjack this thread but about that washer...does anyone know when it goes on? Mine seems to be random. Meaning when i use my washers to clean my windshield they may or may not activate the headlight washers.
They will only work if the low beams are on.
Old 02-24-14, 05:56 PM
teaguedp90
Rookie

Default headlamp washer woes

here's a pic of my headlamp washer struggle

https://www.clublexus.com/g/picture/284245
https://www.clublexus.com/g/picture/284250

the cover came off while I was on a roadtrip from florida to cali going to my new duty station. I called lexus of Albuquerque in new mexico and asked the parts guys there to do some research to get another cover to replace it. they found the part number for the cover and I picked it up but it did not come with that small plastic clip that allows it to be connected to the headlamp washer nozzle. lexus tells me that I need to order the headlamp washer assembly costing me 350 dollars about. nothing is wrong with the headlamp washer itself. I just need that little plastic clip. I've checked just about every dismantler and pick n pull lot I can find in the sacramento area and can not find one of these. I would never go and steal one off another IS owner cause I know that pain. can anyone help me with this? i'd appreciate any assistance in obtaining this plastic clip to get my IS250 back to its original beauty.
Old 02-24-14, 06:07 PM
teaguedp90
Rookie

Originally Posted by Z0SICK
Hello, so as the title says.... Unfortunately, the Robo-wash ripped out the headlamp washer underneath the passenger headlamp. I'm awaiting response from owner of establishment....

Anyone had to replace this assembly? Est. cost?
Similar occurrences?
Will entire headlamp need to be replaced? Est. cost?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks CL.
a lexus dealership will sell the cover, just call your local dealer and make sure to provide your car's color. the part number is 85381-53080-a0, this is for front right side washer cover. not sure if they are the same number for both sides. however keep in mind that if the nozzle is broken or your missing the plastic piece that connects the headlamp washer nozzle to the cover than they will tell you they can order the entire washer assembly which I was told was about $350. I had the front right cover of my headlamp washer come off and I got the replacement cover but i'm missing the plastic piece to connect my cover to the washer nozzle. hope this helps.
Old 02-25-14, 04:05 PM
teaguedp90
Rookie

whoops, i'm sorry man I gave you the wrong part info, you don't have an IS. anyways your local lexus dealer will surely be able to order the correct part
Old 06-22-21, 04:08 AM
DrQuality
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: I was faced with the same issue. I found at least two sources for the plastic-chrome covers WITH the small black nozzle plugs included … and a number of sources for the ENTIRE squirter assembly (either LH or RH) WITH the plastic-chrome cover & small black nozzle plug included … either way priced at around $20.

THE DETAILS: I recently purchased a 2007 Lexus LS460 with 119k miles. The selling dealership's pre-delivery checklist listed the headlamp washers as "not operable." Eventually, I've gotten around to looking into that.

Functioning properly on the passenger's side, but nothing happening on the driver's side. I discovered that the prior owner also had somehow lost, on the driver's side only, both the plastic-chrome cover and small black nozzle plug shown in the pictures here. (I am going to guess that the pressure of the washer fluid expelling against the small black nozzle plug actually expelled the nozzle plug and the cover that was attached to it, both probably left laying somewhere on some highway.)

So he/she used some adhesive putty to plug up entirely the hole for the small black nozzle plug and adhered a small scrap of plastic-chrome (that was about the right size & shape) on top of that with (a lot) more adhesive putty. All of that was keeping the driver's side squirter arm from extending or expelling any fluid. I pulled off the scrap of plastic-chrome and pulled out all the adhesive putty … and found that the squirter arm now extended properly and that it did expel fluid. (A LOT of fluid, like you had turned a faucet on, when you don't have the small black nozzle plug installed.)

The plastic faux-chrome covers do have Toyota part numbers, 85356-50030 (driver's side) & 85356-50035 (passenger's side). Their description is simply "*** Std. Part" and the dealership price is about $15 each. (I saw someone on eBay trying to make a living selling them for $35 each.) As the OP said, they do NOT come with the small black nozzle plug. The small black nozzle plug serves two purposes, (1) it plugs the front of the squirter/actuator arm so that washer fluid does not squirt straight out the hole where the nozzle plug fits-in and (2) it is the mounting-point for the plastic-chrome cover. Other sources, as well as my reading of the appropriate parts explosion, confirm that, as the OP says, there is NO Toyota part number for this small black nozzle plug. So, as far as Lexus & the dealership is concerned, the small black nozzle plug is available (only) as part of the entire squirter/actuator assembly. The Toyota part number for THOSE assemblies, btw, are 85208-50030 (driver's side) & 85207-50030 (passenger's side), "Actuator Sub-Assy, Headlamp Washer," priced at about $350 at the dealership.

All that in general agreement with what the OP has already said. I assume both he, as well as the prior owner of my vehicle, were told by the Lexus dealership that this is a $600 repair … $350 for the entire squirter/actuator assembly plus an hour or two of dealership-priced labor to install it. So my prior owner went with adhesive putty & scrap plastic-chrome instead.

I found two aftermarket sources selling the PAIR of plastic-chrome covers WITH the two small black nozzles plugs included. One at Amazon for $17: https://amzn.to/3zF4RN4 , the other on eBay (out of China) for $19: https://ebay.to/3gRyZMO . I went with Amazon, not only to not have to wait a month, not only because you have 30 days to Amazon-return no questions asked, but because you can't return anything bought on eBay back to China since the mailing costs are sky-high.The black nozzle plugs delivered from Amazon DO have those little clip/extensions on the end (that the OEM part apparently does not). I found that the black nozzle plug snapped tightly into the plastic-chrome cover; they'll be no need to glue them together. Maybe I will use a drop of glue or some Teflon tape or whatever to better secure the small black nozzle plug into the squirter/actuator arm. I don't to step to my LS460 someday and find the cover & nozzle plug missing … and have to fool with having to try to source them again.

I found multiple aftermarket sources for the ENTIRE squirter/actuator assemblies WITH the plastic-chrome covers & small black nozzle plugs included, both on Amazon and eBay. You could just cannibalize the cover & nozzle plug from one of these, need be, and toss the assembly. Here are several exemplar eBay sources for a driver's side assembly, all USA shippers: https://ebay.to/2TR5zq7 , https://ebay.to/3wJiAR8 , https://ebay.to/3iY6j7v , https://ebay.to/3vHXwcl . The price, for the ONE SIDE, at those sources is about $16.50 - $19.00 with free shipping. There were listings with higher prices, but what's the difference, since they surely all originated from the same Chinese factory.

If you want to try to find more/other aftermarket sources … for either the covers with nozzle plugs … or the entire assemblies … searching using the aforementioned Toyota part numbers should find whatever is out there.

Last edited by DrQuality; 06-25-21 at 11:30 PM.