LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 05:07 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default looking to buy

So I'm taking the plugged to the LS family, I'm from Quebec, montreal, Canada, so remember, we are in km here, not miles, and this ad below is the car i'm very interested, very much, canadian dollars:

http://www.lespac.com/la-prairie/veh...&requester=SCH

Compared to the US, how do you rate this deal ? personnally, i find it very close to the average. The closest city with alot of LS is in toronto, which i don't what to travel that far for a good deal, too much hassles.

How can we bargain to lower the price ? i needd at less 2k mess to cover tint, plastic wrap and Prestigious Society nav and video enhancement to add to the car. Will you think that a dealer will lower that much, the ad dated 2 months. Quebec people do not buy LS at all, but not alot of LS are for sale here.

thank you for your input and feel free to ask me to translate what you don't understand.
Old 01-05-14, 09:33 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I would check sites like Edmunds, KBB and NADA to get an idea of fair value for this car. Then decide what is the most you will pay for it. Go to the dealer with your checkbook in your hand (and I mean literally have it in your hand) and tell the salesman you want to buy the car today and will pay $xxxxx, where that amount is 10% lower than the price you will pay. Remember, you want to bargain UP from your offer, not down from their asking price.

If you really want to put pressure on him, write out a deposit of $2000 with your checkbook and hand him the check. Tell if he will write the contract for your offer of $xxxxx, he can cash the check. It's real hard for him to hand that check back.

The one problem you have right now is not only is it the beginning of the month, it's also the start of the quarter, so right now they don't have the pressure of making their quota.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-06-14, 08:06 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice. So, when is the best moment to come to deal, i though that winter is the best moment to buy a car since sale is not at peak. I really want the cashback for the above items i would like to add to the cars, but are they more willingly to pass on the cashback for goodies from the dealer like tires, free oil change....

At what pourcentage should i start bidding on, 10% ? it seems quite lowballing, maybe to the point of kicking me out of the shop...
Old 01-06-14, 09:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Offering 10% under their asking price is not unreasonable at all. Depending on the situation I have offered probably 25% below the ask. All they can say is no and throw their hands up in disgust (it's an act). So then you just raise your offer a little, say $500. If you have to raise it again, tell them it's your final offer and be prepared to walk. Don't worry if they let you walk, you can always walk back in the next day and tell them you slept on it and can go another $500 higher. But that's it because the BMW dealer is practically giving you a nice 750i.
Old 01-07-14, 01:49 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Offering 10% under their asking price is not unreasonable at all. Depending on the situation I have offered probably 25% below the ask. All they can say is no and throw their hands up in disgust (it's an act). So then you just raise your offer a little, say $500. If you have to raise it again, tell them it's your final offer and be prepared to walk. Don't worry if they let you walk, you can always walk back in the next day and tell them you slept on it and can go another $500 higher. But that's it because the BMW dealer is practically giving you a nice 750i.
This is exactly true..I got a new SUV for 23% off their price. It was a Durango and not a Lexus but that's still a ton cheaper than what the average non negotiating type would of paid
Old 01-09-14, 03:03 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm so glad that we use market pricing at my dealership. The price is the price on used cars, so we don't play the haggle game.
Old 01-09-14, 09:45 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
I'm so glad that we use market pricing at my dealership. The price is the price on used cars, so we don't play the haggle game.
Your dealership? what? where you at now man? Thought you were still rockin the ABUs or did you punch out?
Old 01-09-14, 10:58 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
All of the dealerships I have dealt with also use market pricing and do the research for me to let me know that they are competitively priced with other dealerships in my area.
They also show me a fake invoice to let me know they are not making a lot on the car and I will be ripping them off if I buy the car from them.

It's the biggest scam ever and the reason why I cannot deal with dealerships anymore when there is a sucker willing to overpay. Fortunately in my frustration I found a dealership that sells close to actual wholesale prices and was able to get a newer model with less miles for less money.
Dealerships can keep their coffee and their fake smiles.
Old 01-09-14, 01:57 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by Devh
All of the dealerships I have dealt with also use market pricing and do the research for me to let me know that they are competitively priced with other dealerships in my area.
They also show me a fake invoice to let me know they are not making a lot on the car and I will be ripping them off if I buy the car from them.

It's the biggest scam ever and the reason why I cannot deal with dealerships anymore when there is a sucker willing to overpay. Fortunately in my frustration I found a dealership that sells close to actual wholesale prices and was able to get a newer model with less miles for less money.
Dealerships can keep their coffee and their fake smiles.
I just start at manheim auction pricing and work up from there lol...worked my last two vehicle purchases that way. On our SUV, I felt pretty good knowing I got a brand new 2013 closeout model for just about $500 more than what used ones were going through auction for with 15-20K miles on them on average..
Old 01-09-14, 02:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I just start at manheim auction pricing and work up from there lol...worked my last two vehicle purchases that way. On our SUV, I felt pretty good knowing I got a brand new 2013 closeout model for just about $500 more than what used ones were going through auction for with 15-20K miles on them on average..
I was willing to be a sucker if they just sold a car at a price that favors them slightly just out of convenience.
One of the dealers actually raised the price saying it was their internet special and now the price has gone up a few thousand dollars as if I was going to beg them to bring it back down to what they were originally asking and that's the day I was done with dealerships in my overpriced area of the DC metro.
Most of the dealerships did not even want deal off the list price and at best were only able to go just $500 off which is completely unacceptable.

I'm not a good customer because I refuse to be a fool. I especially hate it when they try to give me financial and car advice. Real scum of the earth that should be selling time shares.
Old 01-09-14, 03:43 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Devh - can you let me know the dealer you go to? I am having major issues with the dealer in Annapolis to the point that I'm dealing with Lexus Customer service. I would like to find someone in the area I can deal with that would be mutually beneficial. Any advice you can offer would be fantastic. Please PM me if you prefer; I can go in depth with the extent of the problem if you like.
Thanks man.
Old 01-09-14, 06:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by ryan78
Devh - can you let me know the dealer you go to? I am having major issues with the dealer in Annapolis to the point that I'm dealing with Lexus Customer service. I would like to find someone in the area I can deal with that would be mutually beneficial. Any advice you can offer would be fantastic. Please PM me if you prefer; I can go in depth with the extent of the problem if you like.
Thanks man.
Ryan sorry to hear about your troubles. If it is in regard to purchasing I bought my LS out of state. If it's for dealer servicing I do all of my own maintenance. The only dealership I would recommend based on my friends experience is Lexus of Rockville. I had them reprogram a key fob in November and they did a good job. When I was looking though the forum for the north east someone mentioned a independent shop in Rockville with an experienced Lexus mechanic which might be the way to go.
Old 01-09-14, 06:54 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks man.
Just curious what issues you are having at Annapolis? You can PM me. A friend of mine is my service advisor. Funny thing is I have never bought from them, they don't like dealing so I go elsewhere where I can get a better deal. With so many Lexus dealers in our area it makes it easy.
Old 01-09-14, 07:03 PM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Devh, I am ok with going out of state for purchase, if things do not work out with Lexus Corporate Customer support. I have a name for a good salesperson at Rockville, if I go that route.

Pat - I will PM you the situation. I know a service rep there through VIPStyle, so I'm good there. Service has not been the main issue.

Sorry to threadjack - just wanted the dealership name. Back on Topic! Just an example of how the dealer will try to F you if they can - OP, just do your research as to where and what you are buying.
Old 01-09-14, 07:57 PM
Devh
Racer

Devh, I am ok with going out of state for purchase, if things do not work out with Lexus Corporate Customer support. I have a name for a good salesperson at Rockville, if I go that route.

Pat - I will PM you the situation. I know a service rep there through VIPStyle, so I'm good there. Service has not been the main issue.

Sorry to threadjack - just wanted the dealership name. Back on Topic! Just an example of how the dealer will try to F you if they can - OP, just do your research as to where and what you are buying.
I have dealt with the Annapolis Lexus dealership over the phone only. They kept calling trying to get me into the showroom. In so many words they told me they don't deal like they do in the old days and their internet specials are near their final price. What I found is that they were generally two to three thousand more then my area and it was pointless to even try.
I will PM you the place I bought my 2011 Lexus for a great price.

Quick Reply: looking to buy