LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What Options Exist to fix? 07 460L Leaky Rear Air Shock Strut

Old 12-30-13, 12:17 PM
RudyRC51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Options Exist to fix? 07 460L Leaky Rear Air Shock Strut

2007 LS460L Touring @ 120K mileage with formally beloved OEM air suspension, until now. My right rear has had a niticable "thud" (referencing prior post from 2012) over the last couple of days, I looked and seen oil leaking. The right side is clearly leaking and the left side looks as it there may be a slight leak. I see this is a common problem in past threads but I looking for what my options are....
So far this is the knowledge I have gained from looking threads... Keep in mind I wish to get the most "financially friendly" option - I hate giving dealerships $$$. DIY mentality. I dont what to be a cheapskate, cut corners and i know these cars cost $$ to maintain but i got bills and work hard for my $$.

Option 1: Dealership and pay upwards of $1200 for the replacement air strut
-I have my own mechanic and can install myself in lieu of 800 on labor (presumed its straight forward with no special tools needed)
- Bad: this only fixes one strut and it seems like the other is destined to fail as well and that will be another $1500. total assumed $3000 said and done.

Option 2: Convert to springs,
- I have not seen any posts where this has been tested, if so let me know, pics, diagrams etc
- The details i would wonder what is to be done with the other thigs like air lines, etc. computer errors, the remaining front air struts (will they get false readings)
- What companies offer reasonable options,

Option 3: (not known) is it even possible to have the current strut "recharged/rebuilt" as in some shocks/struts..???? i know dealership will not do this but any suggestions to this option?
-If it works like any other shock, the vavle seals may just need to be replaced vs the whole unit

Option 4: last choice. Sell it as is

Please Advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! located in LA county SoCal
Old 12-30-13, 02:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am sorry to hear this and it is common on any car with air suspension. The bladder dry out, crack, and leak
Old 12-31-13, 12:35 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RudyRC51
2007 LS460L Touring @ 120K mileage with formally beloved OEM air suspension, until now. My right rear has had a niticable "thud" (referencing prior post from 2012) over the last couple of days, I looked and seen oil leaking. The right side is clearly leaking and the left side looks as it there may be a slight leak. I see this is a common problem in past threads but I looking for what my options are....
So far this is the knowledge I have gained from looking threads... Keep in mind I wish to get the most "financially friendly" option - I hate giving dealerships $$$. DIY mentality. I dont what to be a cheapskate, cut corners and i know these cars cost $$ to maintain but i got bills and work hard for my $$.

Option 1: Dealership and pay upwards of $1200 for the replacement air strut
-I have my own mechanic and can install myself in lieu of 800 on labor (presumed its straight forward with no special tools needed)
- Bad: this only fixes one strut and it seems like the other is destined to fail as well and that will be another $1500. total assumed $3000 said and done.

Option 2: Convert to springs,
- I have not seen any posts where this has been tested, if so let me know, pics, diagrams etc
- The details i would wonder what is to be done with the other thigs like air lines, etc. computer errors, the remaining front air struts (will they get false readings)
- What companies offer reasonable options,

Option 3: (not known) is it even possible to have the current strut "recharged/rebuilt" as in some shocks/struts..???? i know dealership will not do this but any suggestions to this option?
-If it works like any other shock, the vavle seals may just need to be replaced vs the whole unit

Option 4: last choice. Sell it as is

Please Advise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! located in LA county SoCal
Hello,

I am in the market for either 07 or 08 LS460 (L). I research the most likely fail part on this vehicle like air strut, UCA, LBJ, Alternator, Starter, and so on. The air strut which cost the most out off the parts mention above, and I ask my local Lexus adviser he recommends to change to spring strut which cost around $3000 including parts and labor vs $6000 for the air strut if happen to replace all four in the event of failure. I did not ask him in details about the conversion process from air to spring strut what to do with those sensors and wiring. I will ask him when I happen to drop by my local Lexus again. Your best option is either to convert them to spring strut or sell as is. I would not invest in air strut if I am planning to keep this vehicle. If you like the LS460 comfort ride, sell your LS460 L, and get another without air strut. Just my .02. Good luck.
Old 12-31-13, 07:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I cannot speak exactly to the 460 but many people convert to the standard coil setup on the 430. KYB is the OEM manufacturer for Lexus. You can find good deals on shocks via rockauto.com and also search via Google shopping. On the 430, you will not get any errors as long as you leave all the height sensors in place and just kill power to the compressor. Also, 4 shocks, 4 mounts, and 4 coils should be around a grand if you shop for the best deals. Another $600 for labor and an alignment is pretty close.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...%2Bfor%2BIDEAL

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 12-31-13 at 07:22 AM.
Old 01-03-14, 05:27 PM
RudyRC51
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone let me know if the rear struts/springs of an non L bolt on to the rear of an L with air? I am looking to convert over, but haven't seen if it fits? Also does left and right matter at all I know must cars dont.

***Also found some megan sturts and springs for all 4 wheels for $700.. Can I simply use this and replace all 4? I love the lowered look , hate the rough ride so how does the megan's ride? If they are hard is there any companys with a softer ride?

Last edited by RudyRC51; 01-03-14 at 05:38 PM.