LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Recently switched from BMW. Having braking issues or am I crazy?

Old 12-17-13, 06:45 PM
ls460insc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently switched from BMW. Having braking issues or am I crazy?

I recenlty bought a 2008 ls460 with 41k on it. I am noticing that when I break I am getting virbration and steering wheel shaking. The tires look good. Should I need breaks or rotors or tires at 41k? There is no noise at all when this happens just shaking. I am former BMW 550 and 740 owner and even though they had TONS of issues they would stop on dime smooth as ice. Please help.
Old 12-17-13, 06:55 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like warped rotors... this seems more likely than the calipers sticking
Old 12-17-13, 07:43 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2008 has the same problem...i'm thinking warped rotors, but not sure. The previous owner had the rotors resurfaced last year, but I still get vibration on slow press of the brakes. If I press hard, then no vibration and the car stops on a dime.
Old 12-18-13, 07:08 AM
ls460insc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexusManny
My 2008 has the same problem...i'm thinking warped rotors, but not sure. The previous owner had the rotors resurfaced last year, but I still get vibration on slow press of the brakes. If I press hard, then no vibration and the car stops on a dime.

That is exactly my issue. When I slammed on the breaks its fine. It's the slow stop.
Old 12-18-13, 07:54 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

It sounds like warped brake rotors to me as well. Someone may have improperly tightened the lug nuts when rotating tires. You could have the rotors resurfaced or replaced.
Old 12-18-13, 07:54 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

This is very typical of warped rotors. Surfacing a warped rotor is not always successful because the curing process of the rotor when it was being cast is probably the underling problem.
This is not really a big deal or exclusive to this car as it is typical on most every car especially when third party suppliers are involved.
Old 12-18-13, 08:04 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Warped rotors seems to be the issue like the others said no big deal, have them cut/resurfaced for smoother stops, also check your pad wear while you are at it.
Old 12-18-13, 08:41 AM
14LSSport
Driver

Sounds like warped rotors to me. I'm would say the cost of the Lexus rotors will be far cheaper than the cost of BMW rotors.

Either resurface or replace. Service tech can advise you .
Old 12-18-13, 09:40 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 14LSSport
Sounds like warped rotors to me. I'm would say the cost of the Lexus rotors will be far cheaper than the cost of BMW rotors.

Either resurface or replace. Service tech can advise you .
I would not even bother taking it to Lexus for warped rotor replacement. I would go to Napa auto parts and purchase their ultra premium rotors which have been cooled gradually during the curing process and then have any competent brake person replace the rotors.

This is such easy work that doesn't require a Lexus technician.
Old 12-18-13, 10:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

warped rotors . Easy fix. Probably less then 200 bucks. It happens but can be fixed easily.
Old 12-18-13, 11:05 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Rotors do not warp easily! What you are experiencing is excessive run out due to either improper torquing of the tires or the rotor isn't true to the hub. Another possibility is the pad material has deposited onto the rotor surface.
Old 12-18-13, 11:09 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

sounds like a stretch. Like we say in the medical field, if you hear hoof steps think horses not zebras. You are talking zebras right now. I would bet a lot of cash its the rotors. Any other explanation,imho, is a stretch
Old 12-18-13, 12:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
sounds like a stretch. Like we say in the medical field, if you hear hoof steps think horses not zebras. You are talking zebras right now. I would bet a lot of cash its the rotors. Any other explanation,imho, is a stretch
It is the rotors, but they are not warped is what I am trying to explain. And, it's not a stretch, it's the actual cause of the pulsation. Many people don't understand what a warped rotor truly is, as is evident by this thread and most of the responses.
Old 12-18-13, 01:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

if its "either improper torquing of the tires or the rotor isn't true to the hub." then why does it stop when they resurface rotors. why wouldnt they just retorque the tires and replace the rotor to be true to the hub.
Old 12-18-13, 01:59 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
if its "either improper torquing of the tires or the rotor isn't true to the hub." then why does it stop when they resurface rotors. why wouldnt they just retorque the tires and replace the rotor to be true to the hub.
Sometimes just re-torquing the wheel and cleaning the hub does the trick.

The reason why resurfacing is required in most scenarios is to remove the excessive runout caused by pad deposits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recently switched from BMW. Having braking issues or am I crazy?