LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ls-460 mud guards

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 07:36 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi folks,

Resurrecting an old thread here. I would very much like to install mud guards before the winter. The OEM originals in body color look awesome, but cost over $650 with shipping The aftermarket cheap ones come only in black: this one on Ali Baba and I am sure others on eBay.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/OEM-N...8.4.165.bEx0c4

I would like your thoughts on whether the black cheap ones would look OK on an Obsidian body. The price difference is tremendously tempting. And after all, I know most of you on CL do appreciate a good bargain! Thanks!
Looks good to me/go for it. Then buy your significant other a $620 "just because" gift
Old 07-11-16, 07:44 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
Looks good to me/go for it. Then buy your significant other a $620 "just because" gift
LOL, my thoughts exactly... about going for it . After all, it will cost me less than $50 and I don't have to install if it looks ugly. But if it works, that's $600 saved! I will have to think about that gift...
Old 07-11-16, 08:01 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

LOL, my thoughts exactly... about going for it . After all, it will cost me less than $50 and I don't have to install if it looks ugly. But if it works, that's $600 saved! I will have to think about that gift...
I wholeheartedly support you bud! Let us know how they look when you get them.
Old 07-14-16, 10:51 PM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
i bought one set from ebay, they are black and have TOYOTA and part # embedded inside the mud guards. they look legit to me. i also bought 1F2 mercury metallic spray paint from amazon.

may the force be with ME !
Old 07-15-16, 06:47 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

If you are painting the guards make sure to add a "flex agent" to the paint otherwise it will not last..... You may want to think about taking the guards to a paint shop and have them professionally done with the proper paint. I am anxious to see the guards installed.
BTW! May the force be with you!
Old 07-19-16, 04:52 PM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 09 ls new in Syracuse NY I ordered my mug flaps from LEXUS of Calgary in Canada. 325.00 included shipping. www.lexusofcalgary.com
Old 07-25-16, 04:44 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

LOL, my thoughts exactly... about going for it . After all, it will cost me less than $50 and I don't have to install if it looks ugly. But if it works, that's $600 saved!
Originally Posted by vegasgs400
i bought one set from ebay, they are black and have TOYOTA and part # embedded inside the mud guards. they look legit to me. i also bought 1F2 mercury metallic spray paint from amazon.
may the force be with ME !
Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
If you are painting the guards make sure to add a "flex agent" to the paint otherwise it will not last..... You may want to think about taking the guards to a paint shop and have them professionally done with the proper paint. I am anxious to see the guards installed.
BTW! May the force be with you!
Update: Disappointing news from my side. I bought the mudguards from AliExpress. They look pretty good: Toyota markings with part # and all four positions clearly marked. Took them to my well-regarded neighborhood body shop. The owner was confident he could do a good job on painting them in body color with flex agents and adhesion promoter. However, the fit was pretty dicey. Only one of the three holes on any of the parts would line up with an existing hole on the fender. He felt strongly that even if he forced the mudguards to fit snugly against the underbody and fender panel, there would be some places where they would be heavily stressed and bulge in odd ways. He recommended against installing them. He thinks they may be designed for Avalons or 2007-2008 LS460, while the Alibaba website said they would fit 2008-2015 MYs. I am happy to post pics of the parts if anyone is interested.

I am interested to hear about vegasgs400's experience.
Old 07-25-16, 05:34 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Update: Disappointing news from my side. I bought the mudguards from AliExpress. They look pretty good: Toyota markings with part # and all four positions clearly marked. Took them to my well-regarded neighborhood body shop. The owner was confident he could do a good job on painting them in body color with flex agents and adhesion promoter. However, the fit was pretty dicey. Only one of the three holes on any of the parts would line up with an existing hole on the fender. He felt strongly that even if he forced the mudguards to fit snugly against the underbody and fender panel, there would be some places where they would be heavily stressed and bulge in odd ways. He recommended against installing them. He thinks they may be designed for Avalons or 2007-2008 LS460, while the Alibaba website said they would fit 2008-2015 MYs. I am happy to post pics of the parts if anyone is interested.

I am interested to hear about vegasgs400's experience.
Good looking out AC!
Old 07-25-16, 06:32 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Thanks for the review and my condolences on this Ali Express purchase with poor fitment.
Old 07-26-16, 04:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Well, it was worth a shot. Comparing eBay and Scrutator's pictures carefully, it appears that the parts will fit the 2007-2009 MYs but not the 2014 MY as advertised. I am talking to the seller to get a refund
Old 10-12-16, 03:05 PM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

what u guys think?

Since it is just 78 F in my garage, time to finish some projects that i left behind. They fit well and easy to install. front wheels need to be turned to install front pieces and replace fog lights with LEDs. for the rear, not need to take out the wheels, i just screw those bolts in. there are 1 screw under each rear mud guard, i will get into it once i am ready . Overall, the harder part is painting the base coat and applying clear coats. make sure take your time and DON'T rush. A good mask is highly recommended.
The following users liked this post:
BadgerLS (01-09-23)
Old 10-12-16, 05:47 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

what u guys think?
Since it is just 78 F in my garage, time to finish some projects that i left behind. They fit well and easy to install. front wheels need to be turned to install front pieces and replace fog lights with LEDs. for the rear, not need to take out the wheels, i just screw those bolts in. there are 1 screw under each rear mud guard, i will get into it once i am ready . Overall, the harder part is painting the base coat and applying clear coats. make sure take your time and DON'T rush. A good mask is highly recommended.
Congrats, looking good Great job! Are these the black rubber/plastic ones on eBay/Alibaba? It's good to know they fit your car well. Did you apply any flex/adhesion agents to help the paint adhere better to the plastic and for durability?

I bought a set on Alibaba a couple of months ago but they would not fit my 2014 car; most of the holes and the shape itself did not match my vehicle. I am happy to donate my mud flap set to anyone who wants it (pay for shipping).

I will be installing OEM mud guards very soon. Obviously they are very pricey ($600 vs $40), but I expect they will be very durable and fit my vehicle perfectly.
Old 10-12-16, 06:17 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Looks great!....... Where did you get them??
Old 10-12-16, 09:17 PM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

Congrats, looking good Great job! Are these the black rubber/plastic ones on eBay/Alibaba? It's good to know they fit your car well. Did you apply any flex/adhesion agents to help the paint adhere better to the plastic and for durability?

I bought a set on Alibaba a couple of months ago but they would not fit my 2014 car; most of the holes and the shape itself did not match my vehicle. I am happy to donate my mud flap set to anyone who wants it (pay for shipping).

I will be installing OEM mud guards very soon. Obviously they are very pricey ($600 vs $40), but I expect they will be very durable and fit my vehicle perfectly.
sorry to hear about those mug guard wont fit your 2014. Yes, my in-law had some flex/adhesion agents left over, hopefully it will keep my mud guard last longer. this sets do match those holes in the wheel wells pretty good. BTW, my LS is 2007, i believe it should work fine for 2007-2009, imo. Once u have mud guard installed, dont forget to post pics, BTW, since ur LS is black, are u gonna paint it or install it just as is?

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Looks great!....... Where did you get them??
i bought those from eBay for $38 shipped.
Old 10-13-16, 06:01 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

sorry to hear about those mug guard wont fit your 2014. Yes, my in-law had some flex/adhesion agents left over, hopefully it will keep my mud guard last longer. this sets do match those holes in the wheel wells pretty good. BTW, my LS is 2007, i believe it should work fine for 2007-2009, imo. Once u have mud guard installed, dont forget to post pics, BTW, since ur LS is black, are u gonna paint it or install it just as is?
Yes, the eBay/Alibaba mud guards should fit the 2007-2009 MY, maybe even thru 2012. The OEM parts look much stiffer to me, and they come painted in the factory paint matching my car's. Scrutator has posted several pics of the factory mud guards on this thread. I will definitely post some also. Can you post some close ups of yours?

Quick Reply: ls-460 mud guards