LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Should I keep my 2007 LS460?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-13, 09:11 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Should I keep my 2007 LS460?

My 2007 LS460 has 90k miles on it. I have had it a couple of years after owning several LS400 and LS430's over the years. Overall it is a good car but there are several things about it that I do not like:
* wind noise - I get the dreaded wind noise from the windows - did the triangle piece fix but it made no difference. Previous LS models have been much quieter
* idle - the car idles rough all the time - typically idles at 500 rpm - have had it to Lexus and several local Lexus mechanics and nothing helps. My other LS's have idled silently - my family owns 4 other Toyota's and they all idle quieter
* dashboard speaker grills rattle - in the winter when the car is cold the dashboard must shrink some and therefore I get all kind of rattles from the speaker grills. Goes away in summer when dashboard is warmer

Since it is getting up in miles the potential for relatively expensive repairs loom. I know the car is reliable overall but I am tired of the above issues. My wife's 5 year old Toyota Sienna mini van is quieter and idles smoothly.

So my dilema is - do I keep it and put up with these issues or get rid of it while the miles are <100k and has some value (probably worth $25k) and get something else? What else should I get that is a high quality, quiet, reliable luxury car? The car will depreciate probably $5k/yr moving forward plus any repairs. Should I invest that money in a better car?

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions!
Old 12-01-13, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

If you're going to get rid of it, the time is before 100k miles. If you don't enjoy it you should get rid of it, life is too short to be unhappy.

Assuming you don't want another LS460, if you like the LS type car I might look at a Hyundai Equus.
Old 12-01-13, 09:37 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree with SW13GS. I would be unhappy with the issues you have which cannot seem to be corrected. I also think the Hyundai Equus may be a good choice since the Lexus may have left you with a less than positive feeling about the brand.
Old 12-01-13, 11:49 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
My 2007 LS460 has 90k miles on it. I have had it a couple of years after owning several LS400 and LS430's over the years. Overall it is a good car but there are several things about it that I do not like:
* wind noise - I get the dreaded wind noise from the windows - did the triangle piece fix but it made no difference. Previous LS models have been much quieter
* idle - the car idles rough all the time - typically idles at 500 rpm - have had it to Lexus and several local Lexus mechanics and nothing helps. My other LS's have idled silently - my family owns 4 other Toyota's and they all idle quieter
* dashboard speaker grills rattle - in the winter when the car is cold the dashboard must shrink some and therefore I get all kind of rattles from the speaker grills. Goes away in summer when dashboard is warmer

Since it is getting up in miles the potential for relatively expensive repairs loom. I know the car is reliable overall but I am tired of the above issues. My wife's 5 year old Toyota Sienna mini van is quieter and idles smoothly.

So my dilema is - do I keep it and put up with these issues or get rid of it while the miles are <100k and has some value (probably worth $25k) and get something else? What else should I get that is a high quality, quiet, reliable luxury car? The car will depreciate probably $5k/yr moving forward plus any repairs. Should I invest that money in a better car?

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions!
Nothing special with your car. Same with my LS400, LS430 and 600. A result of more HP, more milage and accessories like airsus. Dashboard rattle is common, too. Use Krytox of Dupont and the noise is gone.

Don't worry about miles and repairs. 90k is same as 500k, made for eternity. If you buy another one you have new issues instead of none. I didn't find a better car as a Lexus LS but I'm unhappy that I sold my 1990 LS400. Drove 250k and she is still like new, met her and said hello but got no answer
Old 12-01-13, 12:15 PM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation on the Krytox. I looked it up on Amazon and you can get either the grease or oil version. Which is better for dashboard rattles?
Old 12-01-13, 08:33 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitetooth
Nothing special with your car. Same with my LS400, LS430 and 600. A result of more HP, more milage and accessories like airsus. Dashboard rattle is common, too. Use Krytox of Dupont and the noise is gone.
I'll bite. How does the krytox fix a dashboard rattle?
Old 12-02-13, 12:37 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are minor issues. I'd keep the car. In fact I've been on the same boat as I also have a 2007 LS460 I purchased new. After so many years with the car (and just little over 38K miles) I thought about going V-12 (CL-65) or getting some other fun / luxury car to replace it. After a while I decided to keep it. Nothing beats the reliability and low cost of ownership of the LS. I might add a fun car in the garage some day, but will keep the LS.
Old 12-03-13, 05:51 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Those should be easy fixes, do them and have it detailed, serviced, new rubber and enjoy! Maybe shocks, rims to help you fall in love again!
Old 12-03-13, 01:20 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cerbum
I'll bite. How does the krytox fix a dashboard rattle?
It is about a spray. You need to dismount and spray all contact areas of each single part. Try to locate the rattle, maybe not the complete dashboard is to remove. I did it with the nav unit and it is rattle free now. Use gloves, never touch parts with your hands. If there is a pre-owner, it is often the case that parts were exchanged and touched with fingers. Air filter behind glove box and windshield comes to my mind. Ask your dealer or see car history. Touching a Japanese car is where a complete rattle concert is coming from. I don't think that a Lexus LS leaves the factory and has issues.

Similar to a PC: never touch a running system. OK, Windows fails and a car rattles
BTW. I use Linux and iOS. Windows is like an air conditioning system, not working if one window is open, LOL
Old 12-03-13, 01:30 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Luxofreak
Those are minor issues. I'd keep the car. In fact I've been on the same boat as I also have a 2007 LS460 I purchased new. After so many years with the car (and just little over 38K miles) I thought about going V-12 (CL-65) or getting some other fun / luxury car to replace it. After a while I decided to keep it. Nothing beats the reliability and low cost of ownership of the LS. I might add a fun car in the garage some day, but will keep the LS.
Great comment!

My 1990 LS400 is meanwhile in such a garage and waiting to become an oldtimer. She looks like new after 1/4 million miles and this is unbelievable. I bet she can do another 3/4.
Old 12-03-13, 02:21 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Let me know if you want to sell the car....I'm interested.
Old 12-04-13, 07:01 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitetooth
It is about a spray. You need to dismount and spray all contact areas of each single part. Try to locate the rattle, maybe not the complete dashboard is to remove. I did it with the nav unit and it is rattle free now. Use gloves, never touch parts with your hands. If there is a pre-owner, it is often the case that parts were exchanged and touched with fingers. Air filter behind glove box and windshield comes to my mind. Ask your dealer or see car history. Touching a Japanese car is where a complete rattle concert is coming from. I don't think that a Lexus LS leaves the factory and has issues.
Ah, thanks. That explains it. Not sure I want to begin taking my dash apart, but if I ever run into a rattle like that, now I'll know what I'm getting into.

Similar to a PC: never touch a running system. OK, Windows fails and a car rattles
BTW. I use Linux and iOS. Windows is like an air conditioning system, not working if one window is open, LOL
Fellow Linux/UNIX/OSX user. I love the windows quote.
Old 12-06-13, 02:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Id say dump it if youre not happy. I will tell you the same thing I was told ..." there is nothing worse than a luxury car with high miles . Its a money waiting to happen, and nobody wants them ".
Old 12-06-13, 07:08 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Id say dump it if youre not happy. I will tell you the same thing I was told ..." there is nothing worse than a luxury car with high miles . Its a money waiting to happen, and nobody wants them ".
Have to disagree with you on this. I see older LSs, 500s and 745s/750s selling here in Atlanta all day..these cats here will pay to have a luxo car to floss in once their budget allows even with well over 100k miles because to their friends, it's like "yoooo..you got a Lexus"?? But..when that air suspension goes out, you'll see many of them on that 3 wheel motion..not by choice becaus3 they can't afford to fix it lool

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 06-26-14, 09:43 PM
tlynch41
Driver School Candidate

I have had my 07 LS460 for 3 months now. and, although it has 121,000 miles it still runs strong. Sure, it has its issues (control arms, nav system, lumbar broken, wind noise), but I have never driven a car this smooth and this responsive. Even with the high mileage, I still believe it is the best car out there for less than $20K. I will keep it a couple more years until I can afford a Tesla.

Quick Reply: Should I keep my 2007 LS460?