LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460L DIY Rear & Front Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 11:06 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah just pads. Just funny not having to loosen the caliper and remove or swing back. Have a way to press the Pistons. Too bad that video didn't get posted. Maybe I will do one. I ordered my Akebono pads.
Old 02-06-16, 12:04 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You don't need to move the calipers or completely remove them .....HOWEVER, sometimes it's easier to do so. FWIW, the calipers are very easy to remove (without disconnecting the brake lines). Just two bolts.
Old 02-08-16, 05:09 PM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
If just doing pads, you don't need to remove the calipers...but once the pads are out, you do need to use your clamp to push the pistons back in as far as possible so that you can get your fatter (new) pads in.
Just did my brakes two days ago. Just make sure pistons are pressed in as much as they can, otherwise you'll unseat the rubber seals trying to seat the pads into the caliper. Easy Peasy.
Old 09-16-16, 10:00 PM
fooldall1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rotor swap just as easy?
Old 09-17-16, 07:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fooldall1
Rotor swap just as easy?
Even easier. It's about an easy DIY as you can get. Just remove the two caliper bolts, slide calipers off and replace the rotors.
Old 09-19-16, 02:44 PM
ve00386
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to disconnect the battery wires before starting the brake work of LS460.
Old 09-19-16, 02:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ve00386
Don't forget to disconnect the battery wires before starting the brake work of LS460.
No need unless you're removing or disconnecting a brake fluid line. No need to do that either when replacing the pads and/or rotors.
The following users liked this post:
apaper (04-12-19)
Old 07-08-17, 09:33 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to bring this back up, but I changed the front and rear pads with some Akebono ones and then took the car out and bedded them.

It turned out great and was perfect for about a week, then the fronts started rattling over small bumps. I took the pads out and then applied some brake grease to the back of the pads and the first shim (this is how Lexus does it too, according to a Lexus mechanic) and then some lithium grease to the pins and pad mounting points (lithium is safe to use on rubber and I didn't want to take any chances).

I then reinstalled everything (shims, springs and clips), but they still rattle over small bumps.

I'm stuck and would Appreciate any help or advice that you'd be willing to share!

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-17, 10:47 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you replace the all the clips? Or did you reuse the old ones?

Or could be clips are on wrong i know when i did mine i had to remember how they went because it seemed wrong the first time i put them on. I replaced mine with all new.
Old 07-09-17, 02:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Did you replace the all the clips? Or did you reuse the old ones?

Or could be clips are on wrong i know when i did mine i had to remember how they went because it seemed wrong the first time i put them on. I replaced mine with all new.
This^^

They're inexpensive (under 20 bucks for a set). Replace these and I bet your issue goes away. My pads from Rockauto came with the hardware free.
Old 04-23-18, 07:40 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I have brake sensors in both of my rear wheels.
Did Lexus change it to have from just passenger side to both driver and passenger side?

By the way, here is a great (Japanese) video.
The following 2 users liked this post by BMW7_LS430:
DavidinCT (04-24-18), FreddyG (04-26-18)
Old 04-24-18, 08:09 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I did my pads a few months ago thanks to this thread, and started to get shaking after a month or two, then ended up installing new centric rotors and that solved it.

Mechanically I am pretty useless, don't have the temperment or the skillset , but I was able to do a successful pad and rotor swap myself and I'm really glad I did.

I learned a new skill and saved myself some money in the meantime.

and yes the rotors are even easier then the pads
Old 04-25-18, 01:32 PM
PwrdbyM
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Just a quick note to the DIYers out there on the brake sensors. If your brake wear sensor hasn't been tripped (isn't worn through) you can zip tie it up out of the way and not install it back into the pad. Now, obviously you're not going to get your pad warning at minimum thickness but if you keep an eye on them and change them accordingly you don't necessarily need the sensor. This part is a modern convenience item. If you unplug the sensor you'll still get the light, so one has to be plugged in and zip tied out of the way. I've been doing this for years on BMWs because the OEM sensors (third party are junk) are very pricey. Don't attack me for the suggestion, your call if you want to do it, but it's an option if you don't want to spend the money.
Old 04-25-18, 05:42 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by PwrdbyM
Just a quick note to the DIYers out there on the brake sensors. If your brake wear sensor hasn't been tripped (isn't worn through) you can zip tie it up out of the way and not install it back into the pad. Now, obviously you're not going to get your pad warning at minimum thickness but if you keep an eye on them and change them accordingly you don't necessarily need the sensor. This part is a modern convenience item. If you unplug the sensor you'll still get the light, so one has to be plugged in and zip tied out of the way. I've been doing this for years on BMWs because the OEM sensors (third party are junk) are very pricey. Don't attack me for the suggestion, your call if you want to do it, but it's an option if you don't want to spend the money.
Aftermarket sensors are cheap if they are worn and need replacement.
If your sensors are not worn then you can just reuse them. You don't need to zip-tie them.

I am not sure why one should zip-tie unworn sensors. Am I missing something?
Old 04-25-18, 07:02 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
I have brake sensors in both of my rear wheels.
Did Lexus change it to have from just passenger side to both driver and passenger side?

By the way, here is a great (Japanese) video.
Thanks for the video... Might have to watch that 2x before doing the job... the littile wires have me confused but, I should be able to do it !

Thx

Quick Reply: 2008 LS460L DIY Rear & Front Brake Pads