LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front Brake Caliper Bolt Torque Spec

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-15, 10:05 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There's no shear force on these bolts as far as I know, which causes me to wonder why they would need replacement. At only 100 lbs/ft of torque, how much stretching is there?

Why don't Wheel lug bolts call for replacement? I looked up several other car forums on this and only BMW and a few others mention replacement and the remainder did not require it.
One thing that I have learned is to trust the engineers who designed the car. There are some rules of thumb that I follow for caliper bolts and one of them is if you cross thread a caliper bolt you don't chase them with a die and cut new threads, you buy new ones. There are many mechanics that don't understand from an engineering perspective why one car calls for the replacement of a bolt while another doesn't primarily because they are not engineers.

There are some bolts on the car you just don't re-use (like Flywheel and head bolts) if the service manual says not to especially for critical bolts there is no in between. When I owned the BMW and did a water pump replacement it called for replacement of all the aluminum bolts because that is how they designed them.
I have looked though Toyota service manuals for brake replacement in the past for other cars and noted nothing about not reusing the caliper bolts. If Toyota calls for replacement of the LS460 caliper bolts I'm going to do just that when the time comes because when it comes to brakes I don't want to find out that it wasn't a waste of money.

That red substance is not lock tight red strength and just the fact that it's included on the bolt is even more evidence that there is a good reason why the need to be replaced with new bolts.
Old 02-03-15, 02:17 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
That red substance is not lock tight red strength and just the fact that it's included on the bolt is even more evidence that there is a good reason why the need to be replaced with new bolts.
What is the red stuff then, if not loc-tite? Is it some type of anti seize then?

Inquiring minds would like to know!