LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is an LS 460 expensive to maintain after 100,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-14, 05:58 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As much as I love my LS I would look for one with less miles or get the ES with 29k miles. There is a 100k mile difference between the cars.

If you let us know what you are looking to spend, we may be able to help find an LS with less miles in the price range.
Old 11-29-14, 09:08 PM
Duckfamily
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response. What can I expect to get in the 27K price range? With a good service record etc. What problems should I be looking out for.
Old 11-30-14, 05:37 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Duckfamily
Thank you for your response. What can I expect to get in the 27K price range? With a good service record etc. What problems should I be looking out for.
I would start a new thread with the same question, so more people can see it and respond. For 27K you should get quite a bit. A local dealer to me has an 07 with 80K miles for 20K
Old 01-06-15, 07:39 AM
paulnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Is it normal for 2014 Lexus GX460 with 3000 miles to make "Hishhhhing" noise everytime I applied the break in the drive position? Please help. Thanks.
Old 01-06-15, 08:16 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Duckfamily
Help us out. We just sold our son our 05 ES with 155K on it. We are looking at two vehicles.
1.) 09 LS-L AWD with 120K excellent condition with all service records.
2.) 12 ES Loaded with 29K CPO.

Both are about the same price and I know we are dealing with two completely different cars. Just asking for some advice.
Well, these are two different cars. Are they for your son? Since he had an ES, the 12 ES loaded with CPO would be the better deal. My friend drives a 2012 ES and loves it. He's an attorney and could drive anything he wants. But he enjoys his daily commute downtown to work and takes it on vacations. It also only takes regular gas.

The 09 LS L is a big car. Not only big and long, but pretty fast. The 120K isn't bad, but as mentioned in this very thread, you can expect some things to possibly happen. Yep it has incredible creature features and is a pleasure to drive. Just be sure to keep a rainy day fund just in case.

My vote would be the 2012 ES. Your son had one, it's under warranty, it's been certified, and runs on regular gas.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-15, 05:08 AM
MARPAT
Driver School Candidate

Default Marpat

Hi, I own a 2007 LS460 with 119K miles. It has been a great car until the past month. I just had the Lexus dealer replace the brake actuator $3500, they messed up the locking system during the repair which took them an additional 5 hrs to fix. I had my car back for 1 day and it wouldn't start, jumping didn't work had to have it towed to the dealer and am waiting on the diagnosis. The service advisor thinks it may be the starter, if so it will cost $1800. There were no indications of starter problems prior to it not starting, I'm not convinced that the dealer didn't mess something up during the second 5 hr repair. Does anyone know if the starter or connectors to the starter or switch would have to be removed to replace the brake actuator? It just seems too coincidental that my car won't start one day after they repaired it.
Old 09-28-15, 07:59 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MARPAT
Hi, I own a 2007 LS460 with 119K miles. It has been a great car until the past month. I just had the Lexus dealer replace the brake actuator $3500, they messed up the locking system during the repair which took them an additional 5 hrs to fix. I had my car back for 1 day and it wouldn't start, jumping didn't work had to have it towed to the dealer and am waiting on the diagnosis. The service advisor thinks it may be the starter, if so it will cost $1800. There were no indications of starter problems prior to it not starting, I'm not convinced that the dealer didn't mess something up during the second 5 hr repair. Does anyone know if the starter or connectors to the starter or switch would have to be removed to replace the brake actuator? It just seems too coincidental that my car won't start one day after they repaired it.
Talk to the head of the service department. They screwed something up.
Old 09-28-15, 08:08 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I have mentioned this on another thread that the dealer while removing components often rush the work leaving harnesses in disarray. This can manifest down the road as an entirely different problem not related to the original fault.
It's not always the dealers fault as it could also be a component or connector that was weakened over time that has now failed earlier then later because of the install.
Who is to know what is coincidence, weakened part or just negligence.
A good mechanic will generally let you know what they find incidentally as they go though your car that could lead to potential failures but in order to do that they cannot be rushed.
Old 09-28-15, 03:38 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Loose connections at starter

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...read-this.html

I think the starter is on the passenger side and the brake actuator on the driver's. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe it will this simple.

Last edited by mdpresco; 09-28-15 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Edited to add
Old 09-29-15, 05:02 AM
MARPAT
Driver School Candidate

The service dept determined that the problem is a bad starter, they said they would reduce the cost from $1800 to $1500. I told them I still wasn't convinced that they hadn't messed something up during the last repair & reminded them I'd only had the car back for 1 day. I spoke with the head of service, he said Lexus would pay for the part and they reduced the labor to $580, I'm not thrilled but really have no choice. Thanks to everyone for your input.
Old 10-01-15, 02:11 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem is not the car's sophistication. The LS is essentially a rear wheel drive car/the setup is not too different from GM, Merc, and BMW. If you have access to the facilities or a Toyota mechanic, many of the components can be swapped with a good set of tools. Further, check all the fuses and the starter relay before you go in for the $600work-out. Btw-the Denso unit is $200 or less (Part No. 280-0370). I wish you well Marpat.