LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Interior door trim paint

Old 09-17-13, 05:17 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Interior door trim paint

While trying to detail my drivers side door trim, what I thought was dirt turned out to be that some of the "painted" finish was wearing off. That is a pain as it is not going to be easy to fix. The car is still under it's 4 year warranty so do members think it is something that Lexus would cover or will they try to suggest it has been incorrectly cleaned. I just used Meguiars interior detail spray.
Old 09-17-13, 07:35 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I assume the leather door armrest/handle? If so mine had some wear as well, pretty bad actually and for $100 I had a guy fix/paint it for me and you can't even tell. The guy matched it perfectly and it is tan interior. Ask your Lexus dealer if they have someone. The guy that did mine does pretty much every dealer in my area because he is that good. I'm sure you have one around you.
Old 09-18-13, 03:48 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem on my 2008 LS with the beige interior. In fact, the pebble grain finish wore smooth and I had a few cracks in that area. My car is 5 years old. I spoke to a friend at a body shop who referred me to an auto upholstery shop. The upholstery shop said it is a common problem on Toyota & Lexus vehicles.

The upholstery shop has an independent guy who comes there once a week to do vinyl & leather repairs. That guy repaired my door panel, but said it might not last. I spent $100 to have it repaired and the match is excellent. I hope it lasts because I cannot imagine how expensive a new door panel would be.

Since your car is still under warranty I strongly recommend that you complain to your dealer.
Old 09-23-13, 02:49 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I would think there would be no problem getting it replaced under warranty. I wouldn't even consider doing anything else. Take it to your dealer and insist that replace it.
Old 09-23-13, 04:52 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

that was my curiosity in what would be painted???? its all leather or vinyl.. i agree if the dealer doesnt replace it.. find an upholstery shop to re-wrap the pieces u need done..fyi vinyl repair will melt in hot temp situations...the last thing you would want is a nice black, tan or gray stripe on your arm or shirt...
Old 09-24-13, 03:51 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem in my 2002 LS430. I ended up buying dye from Leatherique and repairing it myself. It matched pretty well, it is an 8oz bottle of dye so if it happens again you can reapply.

I do agree, get after the dealer first. but for those who are out of warranty dyeing yourself may be an option.

Here is the link to their Website.
http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 09-24-13, 05:05 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I looked at the link above but did not see any OEM Lexus colors. Did you do a mix yourself, send a sample, or do they have Lexus colors but not posted? Thanks
Old 09-24-13, 08:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
that was my curiosity in what would be painted???? its all leather or vinyl.. i agree if the dealer doesnt replace it.. find an upholstery shop to re-wrap the pieces u need done..fyi vinyl repair will melt in hot temp situations...the last thing you would want is a nice black, tan or gray stripe on your arm or shirt...
Painted on the leather and my car sits out in 100 degree weather and it doesn't melt or wear off on my shirt. The guy that did my armrest is a former chemist and knows what he is doing and is the best in my area so YMMV. You cannot buy the armrest separately and the panel is close to $2k through Sewell. If you saw my armrest you wouldn't be able to tell.

To the OP try and get the dealer to replace the panel but they may end up having someone come in to repair it similar to mine.
Old 09-25-13, 05:25 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Fhobbs, they custom mix the color. You need to provide a swatch from the leather interior. There is not a significant amount of extra leather in these cars but you may be able to cut a small piece from under the headrest.