LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 07:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by darksands
I believe that buying a new car is a waste of money. You can get a used low mileage 2010-2012 LS 460 for the same or even lower price of a new Equus. The Equus has not been around long enough for me to really trust it's reliability and how it will hold up in the long term as far as the interior rattles and shakes.
But then I have the previous generation car...and I have a used car vs a new car. "Waste of money" is relative. I personally like having a new car, I want a NEW car, not a used car. Does that cost me some money? Yes.
Old 09-04-13, 11:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I believe that buying a new car is a waste of money. You can get a used low mileage 2010-2012 LS 460 for the same or even lower price of a new Equus. The Equus has not been around long enough for me to really trust it's reliability and how it will hold up in the long term as far as the interior rattles and shakes.
lol similar a lot of people say buying luxury car is a complete waste of money too
Old 09-04-13, 11:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
But then I have the previous generation car...and I have a used car vs a new car. "Waste of money" is relative. I personally like having a new car, I want a NEW car, not a used car. Does that cost me some money? Yes.
Yesiree!
If you can afford it,enjoy life as much as you can.
Old 09-04-13, 12:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Ive tried it all and I would say meet in the middle and lease a new car.

BOOM.....problem solved. New car with used car payments.lol
Old 09-05-13, 12:06 AM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol similar a lot of people say buying luxury car is a complete waste of money too
I can see that point where a car should be for transportation from A to B and doesn't need to be fancy. But I would argue that since many people spend a good amount of time in their cars having that comfort is worth it. That and *****es don't want to ride in a 80's Geo Metro.

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Still the same. Any car that has over something like 2700 miles is considered used and cannot be sold as new (I think this is a dealer policy) as I was told by Tustin Lexus sales person. So you can essentially find a used car of the newest generation for used car price. Now unless you absolutely have to be the first person to have the newest model car then I can't argue against that kind of reasoning. Leasing a new car for write-offs makes more sense financially if you need write-offs.

Last edited by darksands; 09-05-13 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 06:39 AM
tmldds
Driver School Candidate

I bought a new 2013 LS last month for my wife. It was our first ever Lexus. We were test driving Cayenne S, Lexus GX460, GS350 F. We were going to buy the GX460 in addition to the LS but decided not to because the front end did not appeal to us. Since 1990 when we could financially afford nicer automobiles, we have had 2 BMW's, 8 Benz's including 2 S's, a Carrera, etc. We finally decided not to buy another Benz because of high maintenance and frequent mysterious electronic problems. Lexus cars have never appealed to us until the 2013 models. So far, we both love the ride of the LS, perhaps, we are getting a little too old. Next month, when the new GX is out, I will trade in my C63 AMG for a luxury copy. I am tired of having to change tires too often, battery drainage from car keys , and the rough ride. I am definitely getting old. As far as financial consideration, I do have a business that helps me offset the cost and maintenance associated with expensive cars. If I did not have this option, I would be driving much less expensive automobiles. In the meantime, we are looking forward to a great relationship with Lexus.
Old 09-05-13, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I can see that point where a car should be for transportation from A to B and doesn't need to be fancy. But I would argue that since many people spend a good amount of time in their cars having that comfort is worth it. That and *****es don't want to ride in a 80's Geo Metro.
but see, that's exactly the point. you see what you think makes sense to you, however more than likely that's not the case for a lot of other people. fwiw, i agree with you to certain extend. buying new is a lot of money and likely lose a lot, but to some people, they have the mean to do so, then it's really their own business and decision. i don't take offense from people saying i am "wasting money" in getting luxury cars, but at the same time i don't feel the need to discourage people from getting new cars
Old 09-05-13, 07:11 PM
14LSSport
Driver

but see, that's exactly the point. you see what you think makes sense to you, however more than likely that's not the case for a lot of other people. fwiw, i agree with you to certain extend. buying new is a lot of money and likely lose a lot, but to some people, they have the mean to do so, then it's really their own business and decision. i don't take offense from people saying i am "wasting money" in getting luxury cars, but at the same time i don't feel the need to discourage people from getting new cars
The hell with what other people say or think, I get what I want. They don't pay my bills.

If I want a new car, so be it. I've bought used too. I get what I want, I'm paying for it. Somebody has to support the economy.

I also own a 60K Big Dog K-9 Chopper motorcycle, I love it. I work for my money. I'll do what I want with it. I bet the same people saying to buy a used car eat out every night of the week. They probably think that's not wasting money? I do...

Anybody thinking that if you buy a new car and keep it a few years, then sell it, will make money, is crazy. Yeah, a car get's you from to A to B, but there's nothing like getting there in style and comfort. Let them penny pitching "Son's a B*i*t*c*h's" die with all their money and never enjoy life by spending some of that $$$$.

Last edited by 14LSSport; 09-05-13 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-05-13, 08:26 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by 14LSSport

The hell with what other people say or think, I get what I want. They don't pay my bills.

If I want a new car, so be it. I've bought used too. I get what I want, I'm paying for it. Somebody has to support the economy.

I also own a 60K Big Dog K-9 Chopper motorcycle, I love it. I work for my money. I'll do what I want with it. I bet the same people saying to buy a used car eat out every night of the week. They probably think that's not wasting money? I do...

Anybody thinking that if you buy a new car and keep it a few years, then sell it, will make money, is crazy. Yeah, a car get's you from to A to B, but there's nothing like getting there in style and comfort. Let them penny pitching "Son's a B*i*t*c*h's" die with all their money and never enjoy life by spending some of that $$$$.
Allllllllrighty Thennnnn

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 09-05-13, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 14LSSport

ain't that why i told you go for the LS?
Old 09-05-13, 09:58 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say go for the RR I drove a 14' and I instantly fell in love. The last gen didnt really excite me but this one was truly different. If it were me with the LS vs Equus, I'd just go with the Equus and mod the hell out of it but in your case I think you should go with the LS.
Old 09-06-13, 04:33 AM
14LSSport
Driver

ain't that why i told you go for the LS?
yep, I could tell by your posts, that your a good guy. I'm 52 years old and I deserve to buy whatever I like.

CJITTY, lol

Last edited by 14LSSport; 09-06-13 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 04:39 AM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
I say go for the RR I drove a 14' and I instantly fell in love. The last gen didnt really excite me but this one was truly different. If it were me with the LS vs Equus, I'd just go with the Equus and mod the hell out of it but in your case I think you should go with the LS.
I love the LS but I did really like my RRS. I liked sitting up high and seeing around the vehicles in front of me. RRS has 510 hp, AWD and ultra comfort like the LS.

Cost of new 14 RRS like I want is 100K. New body style is growing on me, but it does look like a high priced Ford Explorer.
Loaded 14 LS 460 loaded is about 83 K'

A RR is a little bigger than what I want, that's why I liked the RR Sport. A 14 RR like I want is 130 K.

I would assume the LS would be more reliable and maintenance would be less.

Last edited by 14LSSport; 09-06-13 at 04:44 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 04:49 AM
14LSSport
Driver

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
I started to mod my 12 RRS S/C that I just sold, glad I didn't since I sold it. I was going to spend about 4 K and get a smaller blower pulley, tune, and exhaust. Horsepower would go from 510 hp to 595 hp.

I'm trying to buy a new vehicle and try to keep it mostly stock for once.

I'm still trying to decide exactly what I want.

Last edited by 14LSSport; 09-06-13 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-06-13, 06:40 AM
SSAUDIOcom
Rookie

More HP and almost $20k cheaper. Wow, thats a tough call. I would suggest going back to each dealer a few more times and driving each car again and again. In the end choose what makes you happy. The Lexus may hold a better resale value, but that only matters if you plan on trading it in in a few years, or keeping it for the life of the car.

If it were me, I would trade cars out every few years, so knowing that, I would go with the better value. But even still, the savings you get up front on the Hyundai may be worth it. I guess it's just what ever car feels better to you.

Good luck in your search...

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol