LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 07:52 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Looks like more than flatulence! ;-)
Old 05-15-15, 10:57 AM
keegan500
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just found the ones in the back seat that are really easy to find if you have the rear seating package. There are two on the outside corner shown in pics. They didnt look dirty and I took them off and I still barely get any airflow in the back seats other that On the front of the seat. Next are the fronts!
Attached Thumbnails DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-img_453345085.jpg   DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-img_453345107.jpg   DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?-img_453345182.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
crz95 (09-29-20)
Old 05-15-15, 10:25 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
You suckers beat me to it! But I'm going to post my pictures anyway.

Also, it really did seem to cool better without the filter. I did feel more air. However, the car was cool from being in the garage, and it being morning. When I drive out to lunch today I will reconfirm. I may wind up going filterless. My butt did prefer this morning's air flow performance.
Before going "filterless" realize that Lexus put these filters there for a reason. The air drawn from below the seats is a very dusty/dirty area, if you remove the filters you will eventually clog up the holes in the seat and render the cooling function useless after some period of time. I haven't looked yet but I expect these filters are cleanable and reuseable which is what I will try first.
Old 05-21-15, 10:51 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

No matter how hard I tried to squeeze my hand underneath the seat, I just couldn't comfortably reach the filter beneath the seat.
At peak reach, I can feel the filter with my middle finger and tips of my index and ring fingers and ever so slightly twist it. Im thinking if I really tried to twist it off I probably could but it would be a major PITA to try to put it back on, as I can barely reach it now.
Based on the location of the filter, it seems it'd be more easily accessible if you could get to it from the front.
FWIW, the seat was moved as far forward as it can go and raised to its maximum height.
Im not sure if it matters but my attempt was made on the passenger seat, as I didn't even try the drivers seat.
Any tips??
Old 05-22-15, 05:09 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 2007 and the air flow from the driver's seat is sub-par compared to the passenger seat.

I ordered a pair of filters from (I think) Lexus of Atlanta - about $30 shipped for the pair.

One thing to note, the filter does not appear as a separate part until (again, I think) the 2012 model year, so I'm taking a chance that the units on my car are even replacable.

Prior to that model year cutoff, the part diagrams show a separate item, but only serviced as part of the entire seat ventilation assembly at very high co$t.

Now - what I got is not what I expected. The items received are nothing more than a circular plastic frame with some fine woven screen attached. This is not a filter, it's more like a seive.

If the filters that are on the car now are of the same design, it would be very simple to remove them, clean them with a vaccum or a shot of compressed air and replace them. No need at all to buy new parts.

I'll report more after this weekend when I go diving under the seat in search of the filters.
Old 05-22-15, 05:59 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wbrian63
I've got a 2007 and the air flow from the driver's seat is sub-par compared to the passenger seat.

I ordered a pair of filters from (I think) Lexus of Atlanta - about $30 shipped for the pair.

One thing to note, the filter does not appear as a separate part until (again, I think) the 2012 model year, so I'm taking a chance that the units on my car are even replacable.

Prior to that model year cutoff, the part diagrams show a separate item, but only serviced as part of the entire seat ventilation assembly at very high co$t.

Now - what I got is not what I expected. The items received are nothing more than a circular plastic frame with some fine woven screen attached. This is not a filter, it's more like a seive.

If the filters that are on the car now are of the same design, it would be very simple to remove them, clean them with a vaccum or a shot of compressed air and replace them. No need at all to buy new parts.

I'll report more after this weekend when I go diving under the seat in search of the filters.
There are numerous pictures of them on page three of this thread from people who have removed them.
Old 06-17-15, 01:57 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I just purchased a 2010 LS460. I called two different dealers service dept., they both said there is no filter. But it does have a dedicated a/c duct under the seat pumping refrigerated air to the fan vs ambient cabin air on other Lexus models.

EDIT: Thanks to 7milesout, I discovered the dealers are wrong about the filters and successfully replaced mine.

Last edited by swfla; 06-18-15 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-17-15, 03:42 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

swfla - You have received a higher than average intelligence response from those dealerships. But alas, they are dead wrong.

You are far better off believing just the opposite of what a dealer tells you. There is a filter, mine is removed, others have replaced theirs. Unless of course those of us who have put their hands on their seat filters are smoking crack and living on Mars. I guess it's possible, along with a dealership being correct about something.

7milesout
Old 06-17-15, 04:08 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

swfla - You have received a higher than average intelligence response from those dealerships. But alas, they are dead wrong.

You are far better off believing just the opposite of what a dealer tells you. There is a filter, mine is removed, others have replaced theirs. Unless of course those of us who have put their hands on their seat filters are smoking crack and living on Mars. I guess it's possible, along with a dealership being correct about something.

7milesout
OK, so I moved my seat forward and up, lifted the carpet flap and saw a white fiber sheet covering the bottom of the seat. Do I need to remove this and how? Sorry but all the different posts aren't thorough enough for me to visualize this but I'd really like to do this. Thanks for your help...
Old 06-17-15, 06:02 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by swfla
OK, so I moved my seat forward and up, lifted the carpet flap and saw a white fiber sheet covering the bottom of the seat. Do I need to remove this and how? Sorry but all the different posts aren't thorough enough for me to visualize this but I'd really like to do this. Thanks for your help...
See post 37 & 43 on the previous page. Attack from the front, follow how I did it on post 37. When you put your head on the floor with a flashlight aimed up under the seat, you're only going to see some shaggy whitish material (refer to post 43) pretty well centered under the seat. Put your hand under there (I couldn't do it with my head on the floor, but sitting upright) until you feel that shaggy material. Put your fingers on its outer ring. It will be a skosh loose. Twist it off lefty-loosie.

7milesout
Old 06-18-15, 02:47 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

My 430 UL has 8 interior filters. 2 cabin, 4 seat, and 2 rear door sill filters. I would assume the 460 executive package has the same. I agree that running the seats without a filter will probably lead to premature failure or dust building up in the ventilated seats over time.
Old 06-18-15, 04:02 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I agree that running the seats without a filter will probably lead tonight premature failure or dust building up in the ventilated seats over time.
I agree. I just haven't "got around to" putting it back in yet.
Old 06-18-15, 04:26 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

See post 37 & 43 on the previous page. Attack from the front, follow how I did it on post 37. When you put your head on the floor with a flashlight aimed up under the seat, you're only going to see some shaggy whitish material (refer to post 43) pretty well centered under the seat. Put your hand under there (I couldn't do it with my head on the floor, but sitting upright) until you feel that shaggy material. Put your fingers on its outer ring. It will be a skosh loose. Twist it off lefty-loosie.

7milesout
I was successful. Driver's side moderately dirty, passenger mildly. Swapped them and will place an order via internet. THANK YOU!
Old 06-18-15, 05:20 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Gotcha Spinner.

Lex is on track.

See the last bullet item:

Buzzer??? Who wrote this?
Old 07-12-15, 12:04 PM
aj73942
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clarification on how to locate seat filters

First off, I want to thank everyone who has already contributed to this thread. I have had my '07 LS460 for over two years and use the cooled driver's seat constantly in the summer months. I always felt it was barely adequate, so when I read there was a filter, I wanted to see if that was the culprit. I read the posts, looked at the pics, and still I couldn't find the filter. Today I finally located it, but it was not where I thought it should have been. Initially I had been going in from the front of the seat and feeling UP and around. Nothing but seat motors and wires.

The actual fan is located on the inboard side of the seat, towards the transmission tunnel. To find it, raise the set completely up front and back, then slide it forward almost all the way. This brings the fan motor past the raised part of the floor for the seat mount and gives you more room to get at it. Put the back of your left hand on the carpet and slide it under the silver box mounted to the seat mechanism and the blower motor is right behind that. You will feel the round filter and then it's very easy to twist and remove it for inspection.

Mine was dirty, but I didn't have any replacement, so I rinsed it out and dried it thoroughly and replaced it. I haven't been anywhere yet to study the results. Without this thread, I would have likely just dismissed it as my car getting old and the cooled seats not working very well.

Thanks again!
The following 2 users liked this post by aj73942:
dungut (03-21-20), glerobi (10-16-18)

Quick Reply: DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?