LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any LS460 owners with BC Racing Coilovers and bags from Universal Air Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 02:30 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any LS460 owners with BC Racing Coilovers and bags from Universal Air Suspension?

Any LS460 owners with BC Racing Coilovers and bags from Universal Air Suspension? I was wondering what setting you have your dampers set at. I believe the lower the setting, the stiffer the damping.

I can't seem to tune my struts. The ride is very bouncy and rough. I had it at the default setting of like 6-8, then tried the settings all the way up to 20 all around.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-19-13, 04:18 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

??? Doesnt the *** say soft and stiff? I dont have bags but im running 10 up front and 8 rear. The ride is comfortable imo
Old 08-19-13, 06:00 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by bluwagun
??? Doesnt the *** say soft and stiff? I dont have bags but im running 10 up front and 8 rear. The ride is comfortable imo
Yes I think you're right
Thanks I'll try going back the other direction to see how it rides. I think I tried:

Factory 8/8, then
10/8
12/10
14/12
18/16
20/20

But I have a feeling I mixed up the front/back settings on a couple of those.
Old 08-19-13, 07:28 PM
bluwagun
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can get confusing. I was originally on 18/15 and it felt as if the car be long on the race track, lol. But good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Old 08-19-13, 07:42 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have them and they suck should have went airrunner
The following users liked this post:
mambo619 (03-03-20)
Old 08-19-13, 08:18 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Rides stiff too lexusondubs?
Old 08-19-13, 08:19 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You might need to fine tune the pressure in the bags and the height the bags sit in. From my experience with suspension is as much as you can adjust the dampening the spring rate and in your case the bag pressure makes a huge difference. In my airrunners when I run a higher pressure I can feel the stiffness and when I run a lower pressure I feel how soft the ride is...all with my dampening set to stiff.
Old 08-19-13, 08:24 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by MrExecutiv
Rides stiff too lexusondubs?
yes bouncy im at 20/20 im going to try full soft front and rear to see if it smooths out more
Old 08-19-13, 10:11 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by lbintab
You might need to fine tune the pressure in the bags and the height the bags sit in. From my experience with suspension is as much as you can adjust the dampening the spring rate and in your case the bag pressure makes a huge difference. In my airrunners when I run a higher pressure I can feel the stiffness and when I run a lower pressure I feel how soft the ride is...all with my dampening set to stiff.
Okay, so more air in the bags = a stiffer spring rate? Thanks!
Old 08-19-13, 10:18 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Hey MrExecutiv,

I noticed you have the same setup as I do. How long have you had the air suspension setup? Have you found a damper setting you like yet? Thanks
Old 08-19-13, 10:38 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
Okay, so more air in the bags = a stiffer spring rate? Thanks!
it will NEVER be as soft as airrunner you have a air sleeve with airrunner which is soft and plyable thus better ride uas bags are 3-4 times thicker than a air sleeve and have a steel rod going thru the middle hence the stiffer more firm ride ....
Old 08-21-13, 08:11 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lbintab
Bingo.
For UAS + coils (not just BC), you have to play around with where the bag sits on the strut and how much air is in that bag at your ride height.
For example - if the bag sits too low on the coilover and you are aired down half way (driving height), the bag will knock because there isn't enough pressure inbetween the top mount and the lower collar.
If the bag sits too high on the coilover, you won't be able to achieve a low height, but you'll have more comfort because you can air down to the same height as scenario 1 but no knocking.

You need to play with where the bag sits and at which height you like to ride on. Dampening settings will play a part in the ride comfort, but it won't give you night and day difference unless you play with the position of the bag.
Old 08-21-13, 09:48 AM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by jayhoang
Bingo.
For UAS + coils (not just BC), you have to play around with where the bag sits on the strut and how much air is in that bag at your ride height.
For example - if the bag sits too low on the coilover and you are aired down half way (driving height), the bag will knock because there isn't enough pressure inbetween the top mount and the lower collar.
If the bag sits too high on the coilover, you won't be able to achieve a low height, but you'll have more comfort because you can air down to the same height as scenario 1 but no knocking.

You need to play with where the bag sits and at which height you like to ride on. Dampening settings will play a part in the ride comfort, but it won't give you night and day difference unless you play with the position of the bag.
Got it. Right now I'm using billet upper mounts which bolts the bags to the top and helps keeps it from spinning. So the only mount position I can adjust is the lower bag mounts. If I go too low, I know the bags will hit the metal sleeve that's inside it. If I go too high, I assume I won't get maximum drop when I air out. Currently I have maximum travel for both raise and drop to the ground.

I can't even test the system right now. The poppet inside my VU4 valve failed and I had to send it to Accuair. They sent me a used/temporary valve but it too failed after a couple of days. We thought it was debris, but instead it's the poppet failing for some reason.

Click here to see the strut assembly and billet mount

Jayhoang, you're running Airrex strut/bags right? How's the ride? If this becomes too much of a headache, I may opt to try and get either the Airrex or Airrunner strut system.

Do they even sell the Airrex or Airrunner struts separately?

Thanks everyone!
Old 08-21-13, 12:20 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
Got it. Right now I'm using billet upper mounts which bolts the bags to the top and helps keeps it from spinning. So the only mount position I can adjust is the lower bag mounts. If I go too low, I know the bags will hit the metal sleeve that's inside it. If I go too high, I assume I won't get maximum drop when I air out. Currently I have maximum travel for both raise and drop to the ground.

I can't even test the system right now. The poppet inside my VU4 valve failed and I had to send it to Accuair. They sent me a used/temporary valve but it too failed after a couple of days. We thought it was debris, but instead it's the poppet failing for some reason.

Click here to see the strut assembly and billet mount

Jayhoang, you're running Airrex strut/bags right? How's the ride? If this becomes too much of a headache, I may opt to try and get either the Airrex or Airrunner strut system.

Do they even sell the Airrex or Airrunner struts separately?

Thanks everyone!
Negative. I am running UAS and BC just like you. And my set up looks similar to yours.
The other thing you have to think about is the length of the shock - if it's too short, then it could be bottoming out.

I'm way too lazy to play around with the suspension at this point, I just drive it now. I've noticed that when it's aired up all the way, it's bouncy as fuark. If I air down half way, then the ride is significantly better but the rears clunk a bit, so I have to move the bags up further onto the strut.
Old 08-21-13, 02:04 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by jayhoang
Negative. I am running UAS and BC just like you. And my set up looks similar to yours.
The other thing you have to think about is the length of the shock - if it's too short, then it could be bottoming out.

I'm way too lazy to play around with the suspension at this point, I just drive it now. I've noticed that when it's aired up all the way, it's bouncy as fuark. If I air down half way, then the ride is significantly better but the rears clunk a bit, so I have to move the bags up further onto the strut.
Oh okay, I may have gotten you mixed up with someone else's build. I was following your blog during your install but that was a while back.

My car is all the way aired up (bouncy as you mentioned), and because of the faulty VU4 valves I've been getting I can't lower it until I get my repaired VU4 back from Accuair.

Last edited by tnbigdawg; 08-21-13 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Any LS460 owners with BC Racing Coilovers and bags from Universal Air Suspension?