LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How rare is the Laser Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 08:16 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
It makes my road trips so much better. I even use it on some of my commute stretches where its wide open for a few miles for the occasional people that freak out and stop short all the time.

One thing folks may not realize is you can still accelerate to "override" the distancing feature if you feel it is being too much of a nanny. At the closest setting which I believe is one car length for every 10mph, although it is a safe distance, folks will sneak you on the right and cut in causing your car to slow heavily. So, I close the gap just a little more to avoid folks doing that by simply accelerating a little bit. I think the 2010s system is a little more refined than the 07-09s
Hmm. How is this different than driving with NO cruise control?
Old 08-01-13, 12:02 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

hasn't this been an option on the LS for like 10 years or so?
Old 08-01-13, 04:18 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe

Hmm. How is this different than driving with NO cruise control?
It's not a perfect system 100% of the time...folks are aggressive here in the south and although you are maintaining proper distance with the radar cruise..the gap it leaves between you and the car ahead is enough for people to crowd you while you are in the left lane and they cut in front of you to get in your lane. when they do that..the car slows down very hard if they are within 4 car lengths or so. I find the feature to work best when you are in right lane or just coming up in steady traffic flows

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 08-01-13, 09:55 AM
tyrenfroe
Driver

It's not a perfect system 100% of the time...I find the feature to work best when you are in right lane or just coming up in steady traffic flows.
I understand your "just coming up" point. The car will "see" traffic ahead and automatically slow to match speed at whatever separation you have set. It covers for lapses in attention on long trips - I get that. But what do you mean by "work(s) best when you are in right lane?" Do you mean when you don't care WHAT speed you are traveling at and will simply let the system follow the slowest moving vehicle it encounters? I don't get this part.
Old 08-01-13, 09:30 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

I'm on the market for LS460/L and realized the same thing. It is really hard to find one with the advanced radar cruise control.

This is the only one I find in Houston area:
http://www.motortrendsonline.com/veh...lersite#ar_top

test drove the car. It's not equipped with the luxury package, so no deal for me. plus it's not the best condition LS. lot's of soft scratches on the paint.
Old 08-02-13, 04:17 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

My first time seeing a 460L packaged like that.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 08-02-13, 07:48 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe

I understand your "just coming up" point. The car will "see" traffic ahead and automatically slow to match speed at whatever separation you have set. It covers for lapses in attention on long trips - I get that. But what do you mean by "work(s) best when you are in right lane?" Do you mean when you don't care WHAT speed you are traveling at and will simply let the system follow the slowest moving vehicle it encounters? I don't get this part.
I'm saying in the right lane cars are less likely to cut you off in your lane vs while you are in left lane and the system is leaving the standard gap for the lowest following setting you can do which is 1 length for every 10mph

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 12-03-14, 12:47 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lieup
I had a chance to try this feature last week on the way to San Diego and it works pretty good. The only thing I dislike was you have to reset the speed setting control every time when the vehicle automatic apply the brakes.
Hi, I have also a 2008 LS600hL and mine will start again after an automatic full stopp in queue is by just tipping the gas pedal....the only time I have to reset the speed control setting is if the car in front are turning off the road and I'm driving under ca. 30 mph
Arvid
Old 12-03-14, 12:08 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Guess I'll be the black sheep. I find the Radar cruise control annoying as hell.

When I drive, I'm aware of every car moving my direction in front and behind. When I'm driving and the radar cruise is causing me to be pacing the car in front of me (regardless of lane) even the shortest selectable distance leaves an irresistable gap for every other idiot on the road.

And they jump in there quite frequently ... seemingly just because there will be 2 more feet of space for them to the rear bumper of the car in front of me, so they can move ahead 2 more feet. And what the Lexus does due to the radar cruise is to act like an idiot and jams on the brakes to re-establish the original gap, but now to the car that jumped into my gap. And in turn it makes the idiots riding my rear bumper have to jump on their brakes to keep from hitting me. And then that person behind me (rightfully so) thinks I'm an idiot for reacting so rash to a car that slid into the gap in front of me. The reaction to a car cutting in is too agressive. If there was a gain setting that could be turned down, I'd have it on about 0. But Lexus likely considers (and are likely correct) that drivers don't pay enough attention, and they need the car to do everything for the driver.

And secondly, when I'm cruising the interstate, if I want to hold 75 mph, that's what I want to do. I don't want to slow down. And if the roads are mostly uncrowded, I judge my "time to change lanes to pass the car in front of me" based on 1) the speed at which I am over taking the person infront of me, and 2) the distance I am from their rear bumper.

I don't cut it close, but I don't like to hang out in the left lane all day to get around someone either. So when I get maybe 2 or 3 car lengths off their bumper, I get left. My whole overtaking action is well planned because ... I pay attention. I know where everybody is, I know my 7 is clear to pull out, and I know that my overtake speed is not going to lead to me becoming a roadblock to someone far back in the left lane, but going faster than I am. Just natural to me now. Pulling out in the fast lane to overtake someone and doing so by 0.5 mph faster than them, and taking 10 minutes to do so really makes people behind mad. So I don't hang out in anyone's way.

But what the radar cruise does in the interstate situation above (as a testament to how well the system works is), it gently slows me down while approaching the car in front of me prior to my natural timing to change to the left lane. It's so gentle, that my mind is assuming the person sped up, and I'm fine where I'm at for the time being. Next thing I know, I look down and I'm doing 69 mph ... when I had been cruising at 75 mph. And that really peeves me because I'm OCD about wanting to hold a steady speed. In that situation, it's generally very suttle to decelerate. But let someone jump over in that gap ... it's over aggressive.

So ... guess what I do. I turn on the cruise system, and push the lever forward for about 3 seconds. That solves my problem totally. Radar be damned!

7milesout
Old 12-03-14, 12:26 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts
Default I cannot imagine liking it

7milesout

I don't have the radar cruise but I cannot imagine liking it. I am like you in as much as being in charge when I am driving. I hate when people pull out in front of me to pass someone and then take 10 miles to do it. If you cannot bring your A game when you are running 70-75 MPH you should stay at home or get one of your grandchildren to drive you.

Dennis
Old 12-04-14, 10:28 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Guess I'll be the black sheep. I find the Radar cruise control annoying as hell.

When I drive, I'm aware of every car moving my direction in front and behind. When I'm driving and the radar cruise is causing me to be pacing the car in front of me (regardless of lane) even the shortest selectable distance leaves an irresistable gap for every other idiot on the road.

And they jump in there quite frequently ... seemingly just because there will be 2 more feet of space for them to the rear bumper of the car in front of me, so they can move ahead 2 more feet. And what the Lexus does due to the radar cruise is to act like an idiot and jams on the brakes to re-establish the original gap, but now to the car that jumped into my gap. And in turn it makes the idiots riding my rear bumper have to jump on their brakes to keep from hitting me. And then that person behind me (rightfully so) thinks I'm an idiot for reacting so rash to a car that slid into the gap in front of me. The reaction to a car cutting in is too agressive. If there was a gain setting that could be turned down, I'd have it on about 0. But Lexus likely considers (and are likely correct) that drivers don't pay enough attention, and they need the car to do everything for the driver.

And secondly, when I'm cruising the interstate, if I want to hold 75 mph, that's what I want to do. I don't want to slow down. And if the roads are mostly uncrowded, I judge my "time to change lanes to pass the car in front of me" based on 1) the speed at which I am over taking the person infront of me, and 2) the distance I am from their rear bumper.

I don't cut it close, but I don't like to hang out in the left lane all day to get around someone either. So when I get maybe 2 or 3 car lengths off their bumper, I get left. My whole overtaking action is well planned because ... I pay attention. I know where everybody is, I know my 7 is clear to pull out, and I know that my overtake speed is not going to lead to me becoming a roadblock to someone far back in the left lane, but going faster than I am. Just natural to me now. Pulling out in the fast lane to overtake someone and doing so by 0.5 mph faster than them, and taking 10 minutes to do so really makes people behind mad. So I don't hang out in anyone's way.

But what the radar cruise does in the interstate situation above (as a testament to how well the system works is), it gently slows me down while approaching the car in front of me prior to my natural timing to change to the left lane. It's so gentle, that my mind is assuming the person sped up, and I'm fine where I'm at for the time being. Next thing I know, I look down and I'm doing 69 mph ... when I had been cruising at 75 mph. And that really peeves me because I'm OCD about wanting to hold a steady speed. In that situation, it's generally very suttle to decelerate. But let someone jump over in that gap ... it's over aggressive.

So ... guess what I do. I turn on the cruise system, and push the lever forward for about 3 seconds. That solves my problem totally. Radar be damned!

7milesout
I totally get what you are saying because that is an annoyance I have on my LS600hL's radar cruise. It simply leaves way too much gap even on the shortest setting. Usually I can predict when someone is going to cut me off, so I'll slightly tap accelerator to override the system so I can get passed the next car, switch lanes and let the car pass me...then again, we all know they don't use cruise control and we'll end up passing them again smdh.. I figure my adaptive cruise technology in my 2008 LS600hL is probably 2006 level tech at best as it was designed, but I can assure you my adaptive cruise in my 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel is much more accurate. It's actually smart enough to figure out the car that just cut me off is actually going faster than me and it doesn't snap my neck from braking like my LS does. So I would love to drive one of the new 2014 LS's with ACC and see if the system has been refined somewhat. I would have to assume yes
Old 12-04-14, 10:50 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was shopping for a LS460(L), I found three 2008 LS460Ls with it, two in Southern California and one in Salt Lake City. When looking at the pictures online for cars being sold, look for the logo on the button on the right side of the steering wheel.

I think its even harder to find an LS with the Self Park feature.
Old 12-04-14, 06:26 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I totally get what you are saying because that is an annoyance I have on my LS600hL's radar cruise. It simply leaves way too much gap even on the shortest setting. Usually I can predict when someone is going to cut me off, so I'll slightly tap accelerator to override the system so I can get passed the next car, switch lanes and let the car pass me...then again, we all know they don't use cruise control and we'll end up passing them again smdh.. I figure my adaptive cruise technology in my 2008 LS600hL is probably 2006 level tech at best as it was designed, but I can assure you my adaptive cruise in my 2013 Dodge Durango Citadel is much more accurate. It's actually smart enough to figure out the car that just cut me off is actually going faster than me and it doesn't snap my neck from braking like my LS does. So I would love to drive one of the new 2014 LS's with ACC and see if the system has been refined somewhat. I would have to assume yes
Don't wast your time. POS then, POS now.
Old 12-06-14, 05:37 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

It's actually smart enough to figure out the car that just cut me off is actually going faster than me and it doesn't snap my neck from braking like my LS does.
They must have made a change to the system since the 2007 model. On my car if I pull into the high speed lane immediately after a faster car passes me, the system recognizes the car is going faster than me. Not only doesn't the system apply the brakes even though I am closely behind the car, but it will actually apply the accelerator if I am not traveling at the set speed.
Old 03-27-17, 04:13 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I can tell you for sure this is a rare feature... Also one of those features I said I would never buy a car with out... sigh...

I did a nationwide search for a car under 20k on cargurus.com and I could not find a SINGLE car that had that feature.

So, I had to go with out it

Edit: as I searched again I found one...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?inventorySearchWidgetType=MY_LISTINGS&sourceContext=RecentSearches_false_0#listing=169999984

Interesting, PERFECT combo, an "L" model, No AIR (don't want to deal with the expense) but has radar cruse (!!!!!!)...$11,450...dam cheap... High miles, no Lexus history for 5 years, it's been in one accident and dark tinted windows makes me think it was owned by a kid. And it's only 1174 miles from my home :-(

Sigh, I guess I will live with out this round...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 03-27-17 at 05:32 PM.