LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus vs Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-13, 01:10 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus vs Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

I've read some reviews on these tires, but anyone tried both and has an opinion on which one is best? Or if you have either, are you happy?

I can get the Michelin's for $1008 out the door and the Bridgestone's for $970 out the door.

I'm looking for quiet smooth ride...

Thanks,

Manny
Old 07-27-13, 01:27 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a Michelin fan. They are usually the tire of choice for me.

Something to consider when making your choice. The only thing I don't care for is directional tires as I prefer to cross rotate my tires to even out wear. The Michelin A/S plus are directional and when rotated must be rotated front to back.

JR
Old 07-27-13, 01:38 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Michelin Primacy MXV4 are smooth and quiet.Especially in a 'H' rated.
Old 07-27-13, 02:18 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I just put the contenental extreme contact Dws all the way around. $1015 out the door. Have about 500 miles and they are quiet and smooth. Read all the reviews and made the decision that these were rated quieter than the Michelin mxv4. So far I am extremely happy with them.
Old 07-27-13, 02:27 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone have experience with BOTH Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus vs Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus ?
Old 07-27-13, 02:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
I just put the contenental extreme contact Dws all the way around. $1015 out the door. Have about 500 miles and they are quiet and smooth. Read all the reviews and made the decision that these were rated quieter than the Michelin mxv4. So far I am extremely happy with them.
DWS are great tires but in the ultra high performance a/s category.
The MXV4's like the Serenity's are Grand Touring a/s tires which are smoother than a ultra high performance handling tire that will have stiffer sidewalls for better handling and will be a bit of more road noise too..
Continental's ExtremeContact DWS Ultra High Performance All-Season radial are developed for drivers of sports cars, sports coupes, performance sedans and sport trucks and that's right from Tire Rack.
I've had a few sets of Primacy MXV4's and a set on two ES350 and it's a great tire.
The OP should do a search and he'll read of many happy people with MXV4's.
No Primacy MXV4 in his size,I'd go with the Serenity's as my second choice.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-27-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-27-13, 06:34 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can give you some first hand experience with both these tires (although at the time it was just Serenity not Serenty+) but please note it was for my 2006 IS not an LS. Notwithstanding that I hope this helps you a little bit.

About 38K miles ago I was looking to replace my OEM tires and I landed on these same two tires. Having Bridgestone for OEM I went with the Serenitys. Drove on them for two weeks and they were a very quiet tire. Unfortunately for me I must have had a bad tire or two as Lexus was unable to get a good balance with them. In addition they were a little heavier tire so for my IS it was fine but I was not over joyed. The dealer swaped out the Serentys for the Michelins and I was good to go. Michelins were about as quiet, handled great and rode fantastic. No regrets.

I will say that about 3K miles ago (tires had 35K on them) the Pilots have gotten a little noisy. But I'm getting ready to replace them in a couple of weeks so again, it's been a great tire so no regrets at all.

Good luck in your search..

FWIW When i replace my PS AS+ I'm going to take a close look at the Primacy MXM4 (not MXV4) as although they are a grand touring tire, they do come in V rated and have some excellent reviews I believe they also come in the size you need.
Old 07-27-13, 06:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
I can give you some first hand experience with both these tires (although at the time it was just Serenity not Serenty+) but please note it was for my 2006 IS not an LS. Notwithstanding that I hope this helps you a little bit.

About 38K miles ago I was looking to replace my OEM tires and I landed on these same two tires. Having Bridgestone for OEM I went with the Serenitys. Drove on them for two weeks and they were a very quiet tire. Unfortunately for me I must have had a bad tire or two as Lexus was unable to get a good balance with them. In addition they were a little heavier tire so for my IS it was fine but I was not over joyed. The dealer swaped out the Serentys for the Michelins and I was good to go. Michelins were about as quiet, handled great and rode fantastic. No regrets.

I will say that about 3K miles ago (tires had 35K on them) the Pilots have gotten a little noisy. But I'm getting ready to replace them in a couple of weeks so again, it's been a great tire so no regrets at all.

Good luck in your search..

FWIW When i replace my PS AS+ I'm going to take a close look at the Primacy MXM4 (not MXV4) as although they are a grand touring tire, they do come in V rated and have some excellent reviews I believe they also come in the size you need.

Yes,the Primacy MXM4 is a very good tire.
Stock tire on some GS350's.
Unfortunately,mine came with the Dunlop Sport 5100's which aren't that bad but no MXM4..

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-27-13 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-28-13, 04:46 AM
PH1958
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the Bridgestone Turanza tires with Serenity Plus tires on my 2010 LS460L AWD at 50,000 miles. About six thousand miles later, I continue to be impressed by smoothness and quietness of these tires.

I commute thirty-five miles each way to New York City. About two-thirds of the trip is on highways and the rest in pot-hole rampant city streets. Thus, these tires have been exposed to diverse types of roads.

I would recommend the Serenity tires.
Old 07-28-13, 06:36 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Conti DWS are rated #1 by consumers on tirerack.com in their category (drops mic and walks off stage)

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 07-28-13, 07:21 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Conti DWS are rated #1 by consumers on tirerack.com in their category (drops mic and walks off stage)

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
don't hurt em C...
Old 07-29-13, 09:54 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I get the feeling that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus are on their way out. I saw them as closeouts at TireRack.com. Super popular tire with high ratings.

The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus is higher rated than the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

So, I'm leaning towards the Turanza Sernity Plus. I also like the thread pattern better and it's not directional.
Old 07-29-13, 10:35 PM
mafitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've actually had both of these tires, plus some.

I'm currently in a 2012 LS 460 with the Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires. I have no complaints. They are quiet and smooth. I had a 2010 LS460 with the Michelin Primacy MXM4's. They were definitely smooth, but produced a droning whine on the freeway that drove me nuts and there was also some difficulty getting them to balance. I realize that is not a typical characteristic of those tires, but that was my experience. I replaced those with the original Bridgestone Serenity. I have had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on a Mercedes CLS550, and while that was a different car, I will say that that tire is certainly a harder compound than the Serenity Plus. The ride will not be AS good as the Serenity Plus and there will be more noise as well, though hardly obtrusive. My guess is that you will get better traction both dry and wet out of the Pilot Sport A/S, but they will probably not last as long as the Serenity Plus. I have about 15K miles on the Serenity Plus and they show almost no wear.
Old 07-30-13, 02:34 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Michelin Pilot Super Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 both get far better reviews on tirerack.com (the world's largest database of customer tire reviews) than does Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
Old 08-01-13, 02:02 PM
davelex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very unhappy with Conti DWS. They flat spot badly, even after only a few hours stationery - and take quite a while to smooth out. Not particularly quiet, either. I bought them on the strength of their Tire Rack reviews and regretted it. My Turanza's were very nice until about 15k miles when they began to get increasingly noisy. Took them off at 30k. Replaced with Michelin Primacy MXV4 's that have a characteristic sound - but not too noticable and has remained consistent for 38k miles. Retain balance well and appear to have a good deal of life left. I vote for Michelins.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus vs Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus