LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus vs Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 12:36 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had both on my 2006 GS430. I replaced Pilot Sport A/S Plus with Serenity Plus. Drove a month on the Serenity Plus and went back to the A/S Plus. The Serenity Plus is a great tire. Very quiet and smooth. However, it just didn't match up well on the GS. It was very numb feeling and provided no feedback. Also, the tire didn't corner very well and it felt as if the sidewall was going to roll under the tire on some turns. Mind you, I'm not a race car driver. In fact, I really don't drive spirited at all. I am 45, 2 kids, etc. So I went back to the A/S Plus (after a brief stint with the A/S 3), and am very pleased. The A/S Plus is relatively comfortable and quiet and corners reasonably well.

I would think the Serenity Plus would be a great tire for the LS. It just didn't work out for me with the GS.
Old 11-26-13, 07:01 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the basis for your recommendation of the Serenity Plus for the LS460? If it did not serve you well on your GS430, what makes you believe it would perform better on a much heavier car with much stronger cornering forces and traction requirements? Just curious...
Old 11-26-13, 07:24 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I assumed that quiet and comfort are top priorities for an LS owners. The Serenities do that great, they're just a but disconnected with the road in terms of feel and handling.
Old 11-26-13, 07:50 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mafitch
I'm currently in a 2012 LS 460 with the Bridgestone Serenity Plus tires. I have no complaints. They are quiet and smooth. I had a 2010 LS460 with the Michelin Primacy MXM4's. They were definitely smooth, but produced a droning whine on the freeway that drove me nuts and there was also some difficulty getting them to balance. I realize that is not a typical characteristic of those tires, but that was my experience. I replaced those with the original Bridgestone Serenity. I have had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on a Mercedes CLS550, and while that was a different car, I will say that that tire is certainly a harder compound than the Serenity Plus. The ride will not be AS good as the Serenity Plus and there will be more noise as well, though hardly obtrusive. My guess is that you will get better traction both dry and wet out of the Pilot Sport A/S, but they will probably not last as long as the Serenity Plus. I have about 15K miles on the Serenity Plus and they show almost no wear.
Totally agree that the Michelin Primacy tires produce a whine or irritating drone at highway speeds. Exchanged mine right away and went back to new Pilot HX MXM4. W rated. Much quieter. No drone.
Old 11-27-13, 06:32 PM
bruceko
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had the Michelin Pilot sport as. I really like them very good wet traction, good ride and fairly quiet. After about 25k the wet traction changed. I think the tire got into harder compound and the wet traction declined. The lasted until about 37 k and the tread was gone. Got a nice credit for the mileage warranty.

Next I had the Conti DWs. They were the worst tires I have ever had on any car. They would flat spot over night and take awhile to get them warmed up. The side walls are extremely thin. I had 4 side wall failures in 8 months. Softly bumped a curb twice. I have had tires pop the bead and loose tire pressure but never a big hole.
Next one was a small rock came off a truck and bounced off the sidewall. big bulge. Final one was a large bulge developed on the inside of a rear tire.
Dealer gave me full credit and got the bridestone serenity plus. They have been on for 10000 miles I get good but not fantastic wet traction, They are quiet and give the car a smooth ride. The tires are a bit more reserved handling on windy roads.