LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Procedure to open hatch for cabin air filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 04:17 PM
tombet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procedure to open hatch for cabin air filter ?

I used to replace my LS430 cabin air filter myself. Now I have a 2012 LS460, and they have made the hatch door in the glove box motorized. I know to open the hatch, it has something to do with depressing the Fan button on the dash. But I don't know exactly what to press, if car should be running, or ignition simply On but not running, etc. Can someone explain the exact procedure that opens the little hatch in the glove box so I can replace the filter ?

(And my primary reason for wanting to bring it to dealer is simply that it took me 5 minutes to do it on my LS430, vs MUCH longer to go to my dealer.)

Thanks.
Old 07-17-13, 04:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

run the a/c and put it in recycle mode
Old 07-17-13, 06:35 PM
tombet
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Rominl, but could I ask you to expand your reply and be even more specific ?

This is what I have done, but the hatch is not open:

1. Glove box is empty and the little shelf is taken out. Nothing else done in glove box.
2. Start car - engine is running.
3. Toggle the Auto button for Climate to ON, such that the AC will be running.
4. Toggle the button for air circulation to recycle the air - only the left most of the three lights is lit up.

The hatch does not move at all - does not open. Have I missed a step, or do you see some other error ? I saw the tech at Lexus do this and it did seem that he did nothing more than toggle the air Recycle button - which makes me think that it has to be in some other state to open. I also tried with AC running with just ignition to ON, rather than car actually running. Any ideas ? Thank you.

Last edited by tombet; 07-17-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-17-13, 09:58 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a black plastic cover maybe 10"x1" you have to pop off out the way and then you will see the filter.
Old 07-17-13, 10:05 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tombet
Thank you Rominl, but could I ask you to expand your reply and be even more specific ?

This is what I have done, but the hatch is not open:

1. Glove box is empty and the little shelf is taken out. Nothing else done in glove box.
2. Start car - engine is running.
3. Toggle the Auto button for Climate to ON, such that the AC will be running.
4. Toggle the button for air circulation to recycle the air - only the left most of the three lights is lit up.

The hatch does not move at all - does not open. Have I missed a step, or do you see some other error ? I saw the tech at Lexus do this and it did seem that he did nothing more than toggle the air Recycle button - which makes me think that it has to be in some other state to open. I also tried with AC running with just ignition to ON, rather than car actually running. Any ideas ? Thank you.
You removed the shelf in the glove box, but did you remove the panel on the back wall of the glove box? When that is out of the way it will be obvious when the cover moves from the recirculation position to the fresh air position, you will see it moving.
Old 07-17-13, 11:02 PM
tombet
Driver School Candidate

Doh ! Thank you very much. I thought the panel you are referring to is what moves - obviously I was confused. I will take a look again tomorrow when I get car out of parking garage. Do I have to pry that panel out, or is there something to depress to pop it out, etc ? I don't want to break it.
Old 07-17-13, 11:40 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tombet
Doh ! Thank you very much. I thought the panel you are referring to is what moves - obviously I was confused. I will take a look again tomorrow when I get car out of parking garage. Do I have to pry that panel out, or is there something to depress to pop it out, etc ? I don't want to break it.
Mine sort of slides a bit and bends a bit, but I wouldn't really call it prying it out. I don't think it would break if you are reasonable about working it loose, but if it isn't coming out easy, stop and rethink the approach. It has some give, but I wouldn't want to snap it. I'm sure it would be 10 cents in plastic that would cost $25 to replace.

Charles
Old 07-18-13, 06:10 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cabin filter

The precise instructions are in the owner's manual. I believe it is listed under A/C filter. Your engine does not need to be running. The Stop/ Start button just needs to be in the accessory position and the A/C button on the dash panel need to be in recirc mode. It is at most a two minute job.
Old 07-18-13, 09:34 AM
tombet
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I'm good now. And you're right - it is in the manual (p694). I don't know how I missed it before. (The manual is too darn big - though of course there is a lot of info to cover.)
Old 07-18-13, 01:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

how often should the filter be replaced?? I live in AZ so its AC on max pretty much 95% of the year. Even when its cooler ( mid 70s) I still have the AC running
Old 07-18-13, 03:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
how often should the filter be replaced?? I live in AZ so its AC on max pretty much 95% of the year. Even when its cooler ( mid 70s) I still have the AC running
i think i changed mine every 15k or so. it really depends on your location if it's dusty. you know LA, i am sure i will die very soon