LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Can I get exactly what I want in a new LS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-13, 07:59 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can I get exactly what I want in a new LS?

After looking at all the option packages and stand alone options for the 2013 LS460 I have determined the exact vehicle I would like. However, when I then go to the "build your Lexus" section, they don't give me the same option packages let alone any stand alone options as listed on their same website. When I go to build, I only have the option of the $5,700 or $20,000 packages. The problem is I want neither. My thoughts are that if Lexus is going to show various features in multiple option packages and others available as stand alone features, then they ought to actually allow customers to have it that way. These are not Camrys, I expect to be able to have the car equipped the exact way I want. Lexus's website seems to contradict itself, therefore it is unclear as to what is actually true.

The car my wife and I would like is the following:

LS460 L RWD

Matador Red paint

Flaxen leather with Shimamoku Espresso wood trim

1. Advanced pre-collision pkg.
2. Ultra luxury pkg.
3. Semi-analine and Alcantara upgrade pkg
4. LED headlights
5. Heated wood and leather steering wheel with leather center pad
6. Blind Spot monitoring

With a total MSRP of around $92,350

Has anyone had luck placing a factory order for exactly what they wanted?

Last edited by jjbenzo; 06-06-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-06-13, 09:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Yes, I did when I ordered my '07, but I don't know if things have changed. I think if you talk to a dealer they can special order any combination (of course they'll try to sell you one on their lot first).
Old 06-06-13, 09:35 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe it depends on the zip code given. If I want to build a "L" car I have to punch in some FL zip code, because with my zip code it isn't available.
Old 06-07-13, 01:56 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer should be able to special order any and all options you need. Be prepared to pay premium, because it's "special" order.
Old 06-07-13, 01:57 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you can get the car just the way you want. As a matter of fact, I've been told of LS cars ordered without A/C and with cloth seats (just an example of how customizable they are).

Here's the deal: take (or email) your detailed specification to a dealer (doesn't matter which one). Have them enter the spec for a possible build order. First hurdle is getting it into the Lexus computer. Then, the proto-order will be reviewed by the Lexus "factory" and a determination as to its "buildability" will be made. If it passes this test, you're home free. You can order that specification and the car will be built. Good luck with your new LS.
Old 06-07-13, 02:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
As a matter of fact, I've been told of LS cars ordered without A/C and with cloth seats (just an example of how customizable they are).
I gotta throw a challenge flag on that one...I've seen them with cloth seats way back in the early 90s...but I would say with confidence you cannot order an LS with cloth seats and no A/C today.

But as others have said, they can be special ordered as you want them, BUT...you will pay a considerable premium when you look at what you can negotiate off of one on the lot or allocated from another dealer, and the wait will be considerable. In fact, you may be able to get options you may not really want basically for free because of that premium. Lexus/Toyota as a manufacturer likes packages vs stand alone options.
Old 06-07-13, 04:16 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I gotta throw a challenge flag on that one...I've seen them with cloth seats way back in the early 90s...but I would say with confidence you cannot order an LS with cloth seats and no A/C today.
You're probably right, Steve. Sounded apocryphal to me, too. That said, when I special ordered my 2013 LS, they asked me whether I wanted NAV or not!

But as others have said, they can be special ordered as you want them, BUT...you will pay a considerable premium when you look at what you can negotiate off of one on the lot or allocated from another dealer, and the wait will be considerable. In fact, you may be able to get options you may not really want basically for free because of that premium. Lexus/Toyota as a manufacturer likes packages vs stand alone options.
My turn to toss one! Depending on the buying program you employ (and, OF COURSE, the dealer), you can do very well with a custom job. Remember, there's not a lot of inventory of new LS on dealer lots and the delivery cycle can be surprisingly quick - just over two months in my case. I don't think there are really ANY hard and fast rules here. As always, when a willing seller and a willing buyer are determined to do business, amazing things can be done. Even if cloth seats and open windows are no longer possible...
Old 06-07-13, 06:24 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

I talked to a guy from Lexus Orlando today. He told me that I could get the vehicle with the specs listed above, but I would also need to ads some sort of suspension upgrade. I'm not sure as to what he is referring to as I do not see any suspension upgrade listed on Lexus's website. Is there some sort of air suspension that is not standard?
Old 06-07-13, 08:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're probably right, Steve. Sounded apocryphal to me, too. That said, when I special ordered my 2013 LS, they asked me whether I wanted NAV or not!
Really?!? I thought they stopped offering nav as optional after 08 or so...Weird...

My turn to toss one! Depending on the buying program you employ (and, OF COURSE, the dealer), you can do very well with a custom job. Remember, there's not a lot of inventory of new LS on dealer lots and the delivery cycle can be surprisingly quick - just over two months in my case. I don't think there are really ANY hard and fast rules here. As always, when a willing seller and a willing buyer are determined to do business, amazing things can be done. Even if cloth seats and open windows are no longer possible...
Was yours 100% custom though? I thought I remembered yours being an atypical option group, but not one that was ordered and built at the factory custom for you...

Inventory depends on your region. There are plenty of LS's on the lots here. I just checked my dealers inventory, and they have 27 2013 LS's...and there are 6 other dealers within 60 miles. LOTS of opportunity there for a great deal on a lot parked LS.

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I talked to a guy from Lexus Orlando today. He told me that I could get the vehicle with the specs listed above, but I would also need to ads some sort of suspension upgrade. I'm not sure as to what he is referring to as I do not see any suspension upgrade listed on Lexus's website. Is there some sort of air suspension that is not standard?
Yes there is an optional AVS system. I'm looking at the Lexus site and you're right, they don't really talk about it. You can see that the standard drive modes are Eco, Normal & Sport with the option of adding Sport S+, thats where the AVS suspension comes in.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-07-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-07-13, 10:01 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Was yours 100% custom though? I thought I remembered yours being an atypical option group, but not one that was ordered and built at the factory custom for you..
I had to go custom order. The car was so new there was no feedback from the field to modify HQ's program configurations (which were totally screwed up AFAIC). Factory was forcing ultra luxury package onto anyone (me) who wanted radar cruise. This config munches up trunk space (which I need) in order to provide my empty rear seats with their own HVAC and audio controls (which I don't). The other goodies were a matter of "why not? let's give them a try." My understanding is that once the dealers get some sales under their belts, they gain the ability to alter the program configs from Japan somewhat. As you pointed out previously, Lexus is option-/package-bound, and that's why I had to custom order mine just like the OP is forced to do. BTW, agree on differing regional stock levels. Sounds like you got your pick of lot queens in your neck of the woods. Makes for some serious discounting.
Old 06-08-13, 07:39 AM
ikey78
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbenzo
I special ordered my LS last fall. The dealer showed me the LS ordering guide which details the codes that they use for the ordering process. This guide is not based on regions of the country and the various configurations are available to all dealers. The guide shows which options are conflicts and which require other options as well.

In your case, Advanced Pre-Collision requires the Ultra Luxury package among other items and Ultra Luxury requires Adaptive Variable Air Suspension which is optional for all models. So the dealer in Orlando is correct.

By the way I had no problems with the special order process. You obviously have to wait a while. I was able to negotiate off the sticker price. It is possible I could have negotiated more for an in stock car but this way I got what I wanted.
Old 06-08-13, 01:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My understanding is that once the dealers get some sales under their belts, they gain the ability to alter the program configs from Japan somewhat.
I have found this too. The first batch of cars that ship seem to be all fully packaged cars and dealers seem to just get whatever Lexus wants to send them
Old 06-17-13, 09:48 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Thanks for everyone's input. We ended up going with another Land Rover. Picked up our Range Rover Sport last weekend.
Old 06-18-13, 10:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Is that the new RR Sport or the outgoing model?
Old 06-18-13, 02:44 PM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

perhaps it's me but when i look at your well written post, i'm amazed that u would take so much time to ask a level 3 type sales question to us groupies online instead of a dealer. i guess it brings some meaning to getting what u pay for.

the lexus ws is of the jack of all trades variety. not uncommon, mind u. after awhile these libraries can become cumbersome with the complexity and data. lexus has problems with it's ws. dare i say, when one looks at pkgs or accessories, it's a cludge and of very poorly design. u shoulda called the dealer, k so u could've gotten what u wanted, the way u wanted. i did and i can even track the progress of the boat carrying it! the build your own process is complex. lexus uses buying algorithms and sales patterns to stock their dlrs. few special orders are necessary for their flagship but for those who are **** like me, they your dlr can work magic.

i wish u well with your rover. not to pick on u but it's about the worst quality choice one can make in a vehicle these days. it's right down there with jag.

Quick Reply: Can I get exactly what I want in a new LS?