LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460L Brakes, dust boot, bleeding and CPO woes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 11:40 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To follow up and maybe close this thread. I got the car back finally. They had it slightly over 4 weeks. This is my summary of my experience and I am not sure how I feel about all of this:

I decided to do a brake job on my car and found one of the calipers defective(one piston was stuck). I call the CPO 1-800 number and they tell me the caliper is covered for mechanical failure. I have the car towed to the dealer. The dealer tells me I have to pay for the tow and the caliper since they did not discover the problem. I argued and they covered the caliper and the tow but not the bleeding of the brakes. While it was in the shop they were also going to look at the fact that my heater would not work while in park. They claimed there was no defect so I tried it in the service drive while picking up the car and it would not work. The car had been in the shop for over a week at that point. My service manager got me another loaner and kept the car. It was a defective water pump again covered under CPO. Three days later I am picking the car up again and I notice that the headlights now have a lot of water inside. (they have never had even a hint of moisture inside before) By the time I am home one headlight is not working. I take the car back to the shop where they keep it another 10 days. This time they replace the headlight assembly that was not working, but did not replace the other side. I wake up the next morning to find the unchanged headlight still has about 50% of the inside covered in condensation. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point... frustration is driving me crazy.

TLDR - 3 loaner cars, a lot of argument, only paid for a brake bleed so far seems like I am getting nickle and dimed!

Sam

Last edited by sgmorton; 06-19-13 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-19-13, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow that's one horrible horrible dealership... you should go and ask for the GM and also talk to lexus about it. this is pretty bad
Old 06-19-13, 05:50 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Look at the link

http://www.headlightcondensation.com...eadlights.html

JR
Old 07-11-13, 05:46 AM
sgmorton
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to put a final cap on my thread. I left my car in the Texas sun for a whole day and almost all of the moisture dried up in the other headlight. So far so good. I don't see any new problems. Down to the last 400 miles on my warranty so I think I am done with the warranty work at this point.

On a side note each time I dropped my car off and picked it up the dealership called afterward to see if my service experience went well. Each time when I explained to them the problems I'd had the girl on the phone clearly didn't know how to handle my displeasure. I was never mean or condemning. I simply told her each time it had not gone well and each time told her what had happened and how I hoped it would be right this time. Each time she told me she would inform the manager. (service manager I suspect) This happened four times. I never got a call back from any manager or any other calls. I really was not expecting one but you'd think after having to make 4 attempts to fix my car and keeping it for a month they might want to talk to me... I guess not. It really sucks because Lexus is my favorite out of the luxury cars I've owned. (also had/have a BWM 3 and Audi a5) but this round of service has shaken my belief that Lexus was truly a cut above.
Old 02-27-14, 08:47 PM
spitfire7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah if you can get the computer to reset the ecu, it should be back to normal and you can repeat the bleeding. the problem now is computer triggered a code so it shuts everything off
What if you disconnect the battery before you start.
Old 02-27-14, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spitfire7
What if you disconnect the battery before you start.
that's basically what i did
Old 02-27-14, 09:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

For 80 bucks why pull your hair out trying this out? Glutton for punishment? LOL. I'm a DIE HARD diy'er, but this is one job I can do without. I paid 79 bucks for the complete job at my Toyota dealer and I got a nice relaxing 90 mins in their very comfy waiting area, drinking their free cappuccino's and lattes, reading the daily paper on their dime and checking out the latest cars in the showroom. LOL. The vehicle MUST BE HOOKED UP TO TECHSTREAM!

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-02-17 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-27-14, 11:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by roadfrog
The vehicle MUST BE HOOKED UP TO TECHSTREAM!
incorrect.... tons of people have done it without hooking up to techstream
Old 05-02-17, 05:51 PM
Tech89
Driver School Candidate

Default Bleeding brakes 2008 ls460

Getting air in this system is a nightmare abs codes will come on. The line with air will be shut off by computer. You need a scanner, I used snap-on. Goto brake/abs section and choose bleed sytem, follow all of the steps. It is very untradition. You have take out abs relay, then it will have you start in front right side, traditionally you would start rear right furthest away from master. Then move on to left front. Then plug relay back in. Then goto left rear, then finally right rear, so crazy if your use to traditional bleeding. Make sure your filling your reservoir up in between. If you set a code it is tricky, I cleared code before I started all of this. You have to be patient and follow all steps. Don't be alarmed if it does not work first few times. It is a safety feature. It is a pain. Keep following your scanner instructions and repeat until the pump finally activates. If you do this system traditionally you will only make it worst, you will have brakes by the way. The system is set up to cut off a leaking line or faulty line. You will just have 3 brakes instead of 4. Well in my case because I got air in right rear.
Old 05-02-17, 05:54 PM
Tech89
Driver School Candidate

Default Techstream

Originally Posted by rominl
incorrect.... tons of people have done it without hooking up to techstream
all data will tell you techstream, I used snap-on