LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Suspension Differences? Air and No Air

Old 04-02-13, 01:53 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Suspension Differences? Air and No Air

Hey guys,

Quick question - just wanted to clear it up for those with stock air suspension who has (or hasn't) swapped out for aftermarket air.

The mounts and everything else are the same for both Air and Non-air models, correct? So a coilover made for a 460 would fit a 460L with no issues?
To my knowledge, the 460L basically just has bags and a sensor but share the same top and bottom mounts.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-13, 02:07 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

May want to start here and stare and compare with the exploded parts view. This is for a 460L..they have seperate pages for front and rear parts and the show the non air setup and then below the oem air setup

Front http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...T%20SUSPENSION

Rear http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...R%20SUSPENSION
Old 04-02-13, 02:29 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
May want to start here and stare and compare with the exploded parts view. This is for a 460L..they have seperate pages for front and rear parts and the show the non air setup and then below the oem air setup

Front http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...T%20SUSPENSION

Rear http://www.trademotion.com/parts/200...R%20SUSPENSION
Thank you CJITTY! That's helpful!

Visually - they look the same. The bags and springs are the only difference along with the cups. I'm more interested in the top and bottom mounts lining up but I can't imagine that being different since it's really just an option to add on if you wanted it.
Old 04-03-13, 03:20 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would imagine them being the same, like you said, it's an option. Also, I think Air Runner was trying to come up with something to stop the christmas lights on the dash once the stock air is removed. Hit them up in case they have done it already.
Old 04-05-13, 12:59 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jayhoang
Hey guys,

Quick question - just wanted to clear it up for those with stock air suspension who has (or hasn't) swapped out for aftermarket air.

The mounts and everything else are the same for both Air and Non-air models, correct? So a coilover made for a 460 would fit a 460L with no issues?
To my knowledge, the 460L basically just has bags and a sensor but share the same top and bottom mounts.

Thanks!
Not all 460L's have factory air bags. Mine doesn't. All the mounts are the same for swb and lwb 460s. If the plan from the very beginning is to go aftermarket air then a non air car is ideal.
Old 04-05-13, 06:05 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
I would imagine them being the same, like you said, it's an option. Also, I think Air Runner was trying to come up with something to stop the christmas lights on the dash once the stock air is removed. Hit them up in case they have done it already.
Originally Posted by lbintab
Not all 460L's have factory air bags. Mine doesn't. All the mounts are the same for swb and lwb 460s. If the plan from the very beginning is to go aftermarket air then a non air car is ideal.
Thank you sirs.

That is enough confirmation for me then. I realize that I could've gotten non-air but finding an LS in the first place is difficult! lol
Either way, now I can rest assured that I shouldn't have issues installing.
Old 04-05-13, 01:09 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Good point to remember. Matter of fact, here in GA when looking for my L, all I found were non air LWB models. It was frustrating because I was just good with doing the module on oem air since I am still under CPO. And to your point, about people who plan to go aftermarket air, just buy an LWB non air...can't lose either way in that scenario. Seeing all this cars with bagged out suspension is really making me want to get a car as a daily just do this. Like a 98-05 GS or something..or even a LS400 if I can find a clean one in good shape..those things are solidly built tanks still today