LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Valentine One Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 07:13 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Valentine One Mounting

Where are you guys mounting your V1s?

I dont really like the suction cup setup, but it looks like theres a collar around the rearview mirror for the wiring harness, so it may be a challenge to mount it there....
Old 03-14-13, 11:00 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have my 9500i on suckers right below the mirror. I'm planning to get a blend mound that attatches to the rear view mirror...

Nott to thread jack, but has anyone hard wired their RD's?
Old 03-14-13, 04:48 PM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have, ran the wire along the left side windshield bottom, the wire kept sticking out because it was smaller than the gap. So I cut a length of thicker black wire and stuffed it between the dash and windshield. You can't see it at all, for the detector I fashioned a piece of metal and wrapped it in velcro, that also fits snugly between the dash and windshield, with a tab sticking out, then the detector sticks to that, I'll try to post a pic because it's hard to describe, but the bottom line is it's easy to remove, no marks, and it jst looks better.
Old 03-14-13, 05:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

For $5 at Walgreens in their little automotive section I bought a little 3x5 grip pad. It just clings on top of the dash and my V1 sits right on top of it. Both the pad and the V1 stay put. What I like is it is real easy to remove the V1 and the pad with no telltale signs like suction cups leave.
Old 03-14-13, 05:51 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
For $5 at Walgreens in their little automotive section I bought a little 3x5 grip pad. It just clings on top of the dash and my V1 sits right on top of it. Both the pad and the V1 stay put. What I like is it is real easy to remove the V1 and the pad with no telltale signs like suction cups leave.
Clever, I'll check that out. My wife's is hardwired, but I'm using cups down low to minimize hazard of falling from high mount. I'll accept the suboptimal placement (high is better for radar), but I hate the cups and those damned eyeballs looking at me (and anyone else!) when I have the detector stashed. Once went to Canada and the Customs guy saw the marks (unit was stashed) and told me "they'll take that detector away from you here, you know?"
Old 03-17-13, 11:12 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

a hardwire wouldnt be too hard i suggest going to the center console cig lighter (as its fused) for the easiest connection point
Old 03-17-13, 12:54 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

They sell mounts where you can put it under your rear view mirror. http://www.blendmount.com/valentine.html.
Old 03-17-13, 12:55 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I have my 9500i on suckers right below the mirror. I'm planning to get a blend mound that attatches to the rear view mirror...

Nott to thread jack, but has anyone hard wired their RD's?
Blend Mounts are really nice!
Old 03-17-13, 02:31 PM
Nospinzone

Wow, 90 bucks! I'll stick with my $5 non-slip pad. Plus unless you take that apparatus off when you park, thieves know you have either a RD or GPS in the glove box. That's usually only an issue for me when I park in downtown Boston (like I'll be doing tonight), but stuff happens.
Old 03-17-13, 03:09 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Wow, 90 bucks! I'll stick with my $5 non-slip pad. Plus unless you take that apparatus off when you park, thieves know you have either a RD or GPS in the glove box. That's usually only an issue for me when I park in downtown Boston (like I'll be doing tonight), but stuff happens.
Have you noticed any difference in detection when you keep it on the dash versus mounted high? I remember reading when I first got mine, that the best place to mount the V1 was as high as possible.
Old 03-17-13, 07:04 PM
Nospinzone

No I haven't. With my Q45a I had it mounted just above the rear view mirror, so it was at the highest possible point. I know what it was like in that position. Sitting on top of my dash in the LS I haven't seen any loss of signal detection.

The only thing I would say is maybe a lesser RD might not function as well, but the V1 is just incredible.
Old 03-18-13, 10:21 AM
CJITTY

from what i have read on the Radar Forums and things is that Laser detection works best when mounted as low as possible on windshield with clear view...as laser guns are aimed at headlights and license plates by LEO. Better yet, laser shifters mounted on the front and rear along with radar detection in window..or, just keep it 9mph over here on the highways in GA ;-)
Old 03-18-13, 10:46 AM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by CJITTY
..or, just keep it 9mph over here on the highways in GA ;-)
Actually Uncle Jitty it's not the highways that are the problem for me. Here in Mass. most towns have ridiculously low speed limits on some roads. A town right next to mine has a long straightaway with few houses and the speed limit is 20 MPH. It is so easy to exceed the limit and go 35 and not even feel like you're going fast. That is an extreme, but there are plenty of 30 and 35 MPH limits on roads that you can very safely drive at 10 to 15 over the limit. But if they catch you, it's a ticket.

And in Mass. it's not just a matter of paying a lousy $100 ticket, it hits your insurance and you can pay increased rates for up to 7 years!
Old 03-18-13, 10:48 AM
CJITTY

Actually Uncle Jitty it's not the highways that are the problem for me. Here in Mass. most towns have ridiculously low speed limits on some roads. A town right next to mine has a long straightaway with few houses and the speed limit is 20 MPH. It is so easy to exceed the limit and go 35 and not even feel like you're going fast. That is an extreme, but there are plenty of 30 and 35 MPH limits on roads that you can very safely drive at 10 to 15 over the limit. But if they catch you, it's a ticket.

And in Mass. it's not just a matter of paying a lousy $100 ticket, it hits your insurance and you can pay increased rates for up to 7 years!
I hear ya brotha...those situations is exactly why I bought a detector...these 40 to 20 zones and other foolishness..that is when people really get nailed
Old 03-18-13, 12:30 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For KA band detection, I like it to be higher, and I noticed its a little bit better ,( as long as the rear headrest is obstructing the detector), but now when it comes to laser, we are screwed....unless you have a laser jammer unit. This is what I would buy... http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/673.html my uncle has it on his gs430 and it works flawlessly!

Quick Reply: Valentine One Mounting