LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just bought a 09 black on black LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-13, 09:18 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silver305
ok, the pictures are attached.. I was told at the dealer this car was driven by an executive over at lexus and he ordered these lights from them for close to six grand.. i am not quite sure if it is the truth or not..
here is another one where you can see the lights.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 09 black on black LS 460-1362359660308.jpg  
Old 03-03-13, 09:23 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea those are 600 lights.. They should light up nice.. Maybe there is an issue..
Old 03-03-13, 09:25 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
Yea those are 600 lights.. They should light up nice.. Maybe there is an issue..
to tell you the truth, my is250 lights were much better.. this coming week i am going to take it so they can adjust them. I am not sure if you can adjust these headlights like you can with the ones that come with the car..
Old 03-03-13, 09:29 PM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
As far as an issue goes, i am not sure what that could be. All the light bulbs seem to be working just fine. I just feel like the "brightest " light on the road is like 2 feet in front of the car so when i sit in it, i can see just a little bit in front of the car and the rest of the road in front is somewhat "dim"
Old 03-03-13, 10:41 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll trade you headlights Hahaha, That's a pretty darn good price btw!
Old 03-04-13, 09:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

sounds like a great deal. Thats a lot of car for Honda Accord money. I bought mine 3 yrs old with 33k on it for 39k. They are great cars and you will love it. The car will coddle you
Old 03-05-13, 03:14 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a 600hL and the LEDs throw out a better wider and far reaching beam pattern than my 460 did..my opinion. Sounds like they need to be aimed properly by the dealer or Lexus body shop..each LED in the housing has a specific role..if they are too far up or down or sideways as far as adjustment then everything is off and not how it needs to be. Plus there is rewiring that needs to be done to put those headlights in a 460..so I wonder if the proper wiring was done..proper gauge..grounding..relays..oem harnesses etc. Did you get an autocheck and carfax report prior to purchase by chance?

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-05-13 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-05-13, 03:49 AM
CJITTY

ok. The vehicle is not CPO because i was told that they dont typically quality vehicles with over 50k miles for such certification.
What are the main problems for this vehicle that i should be aware of?
I am a little nervous for you because Lexus can certify a car up to 6 years old and up to 70k miles..something about this car does not meet their CPO criteria whether it be prior history or condition it was received or something else. I really think you should have the car checked by an independent body shop just to make sure you didnt get a car with some major issues prior to your possession.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/index.html
Old 03-05-13, 04:30 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I am a little nervous for you because Lexus can certify a car up to 6 years old and up to 70k miles..something about this car does not meet their CPO criteria whether it be prior history or condition it was received or something else. I really think you should have the car checked by an independent body shop just to make sure you didnt get a car with some major issues prior to your possession.

http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/index.html
i read somewhere that lexus DOES NOT certify cars with over 50k miles. The car needs to be under warranty in order for you to be able to extend it. I have researched ths and that seems to be the truth.
Old 03-05-13, 04:40 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I have a 600hL and the LEDs throw out a better wider and far reaching beam pattern than my 460 did..my opinion. Sounds like they need to be aimed properly by the dealer or Lexus body shop..each LED in the housing has a specific role..if they are too far up or down or sideways as far as adjustment then everything is off and not how it needs to be. Plus there is rewiring that needs to be done to put those headlights in a 460..so I wonder if the proper wiring was done..proper gauge..grounding..relays..oem harnesses etc. Did you get an autocheck and carfax report prior to purchase by chance?
i thought the same thing regarding the headlights. The one thing that i feel i need to do is to take it in and have them adjust the lights to see if the car finally has the lights where they need to be. I was told the dealer installed those lights on the vehicle since the last owner was a 40 year old big time lexus manager. The only other kink i have noticed is that sometimes the left turn signal will flash rapidly and sometimes it won't. At first i thought it might have been a broken turn signal light bulb inside the headlight which was the bulb not working. However, sometimes the bulb works fine? anyhow, the lexus mechanic over at lexus told me if he can't get the lights to adjust properly then that he will tell them i need to get the stock ones on the vehicle otherwise i wont be able to see at night (which is not that extreme, but he is trying to help).

Lastly, does anyone have a carfax acccount ? i did not do the whole vehicle carfax. I really was/am under the impression that a lexus dealer is a very reputable dealer and they won't try to shaft me. Maybe price wise they could, but they won't sell me a vehicle with a zillion problems. I traded my is250 and he said my car won't even sell at their dealership because i had a carbon fiber hood. He said ALL lexus go through inspection prior to selling them. The car salesman also noticed a small tear by the driver's side and he made an appointment for me to come see their interior guy over at lexus so they can replace that panel. I mean, if i was given a lemon or a vehicle with issues, i would be very surprised and i WOUOLD show up every single day at the dealer until they whatever issues it may have. LIke i said, the car was orginally $35,000 and after negotiating he dropped it to 33,500. THE CAR STILL SMELLS LIKE NEW INSIDE so i would find it hard to believe i was given a wrecked vehicle.
Old 03-05-13, 06:47 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can go to http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home and register for free. Enter your vin and you will be able to see all work done at any lexus dealer since car was initially delivered.

JR
Old 03-05-13, 07:18 AM
CJITTY

i read somewhere that lexus DOES NOT certify cars with over 50k miles. The car needs to be under warranty in order for you to be able to extend it. I have researched ths and that seems to be the truth.
That link I provided is directly from Lexus..it clearly says up to 6 years or 70K miles, so your car had under 70K, not sure of your first in service date. My 2008 600hL was out of factory warranty technically based the in service date being more than 4 years. Actually it was put in service in Dec 2007 and I bought it in Aug 2012...yet mine was sold to me as a CPO and I did the CPO wrap to take it to 5 year/125K miles...so what you are saying is definitely not the case. Either way, you still should get your car thoroughly checked out. But that is just me. I hope the car is as sound as it should be with no issues that will cause you a headache down the road. There are a ton of gorgeous "junk" cars out there being sold every day at Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi..on and on...

I had Lexus people tell me that if cars had negative history including multiple accidents or panels replaced they won't certify it but can still sell it without CPO status. A car like an LS has the potential to be a good sale and I think the dealer would push to sell as CPO to get an few extra thousand dollars out of it...for them not to CPO the car, my assumption is they didn't like something about it.

Again, just what I was told. I really do hope your car is good to go, just trying to make you aware that some dealerships aren't all about being your buddy and will sell to make that $$ and make that $$ only.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 09 black on black LS 460-lexuscpo.jpg  

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-05-13 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-05-13, 08:27 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife's previous 2010 RX350 had just over 50k and it was CPO as was my 07 LS460L that I recently purchased. I'd definitely look into it.
Old 03-05-13, 10:23 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For a dealer to certify a car for CPO costs money to inspect And bring up to specs. It also costs the dealer real money to purchase the CPO warranty. Up to last year the dealer cost for a CPO warranty was $995. I think it went up to $1500 this year

Tires need to have at least 5/32 left or all tires would need to be replaced. All brake pads must have more than 50% left or a full brake job must be done. If you add cost of tires, brakes, inspection and warranty that could easily add $4000 to the dealer investment.

JR
Old 03-05-13, 11:03 AM
CJITTY

Don't think for a second that CPO is a guarantee the car is drama free. Many of those inspections are pencil whipped and I know for a fact that even if they know there is an issue that will occur (as long as it is not safety related), then they will wait for the customer to complain before they will fix it..it is nice having the assurance of a warranty. Any reputable dealership will install new tires and fix the brakes if they are end of life or close to..usually a potential lawsuit situation if they don't and there is a crash soon after purchase.

Bottom line is, have the car thoroughly checked by a company that is NOT affiliated with the dealership

Quick Reply: Just bought a 09 black on black LS 460