LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa

Old 02-26-13, 03:10 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa

OK, I have to come clean to this forum. Last week I test drove a Maserati Quattroporte. The local Bentley/Rolls Royce/Lamborghini dealership took a 2012 with 5000 miles in trade. The MSRP was $138K and they were asking $100K (negotiable of course). It is a gorgeous looking, handling and sounding car.

But you know what, it lacks so many of the amenities I have become accustomed to that I couldn't do it. Firstly, the car has an actual key. Can you believe it?! You have to actually take a metal key out of your pocket to start the car. And then if you don't completely close the door, you have to open it again and close it with effort.

So OK, I'm just a lazy ***, but then when I had to back the car out of its parking space, the nav screen didn't show the view behind me (no rear view camera). You mean I have to turn around and actually look behind me? All right I'll deal with that, but can't the mirrors at least angle down so I can see the curb? And you can touch the nav screen all you want, but it doesn't do anything.

The car has a Bose system which is good, but it doesn't match up to the ML system in my car. Maserati does not offer a radar cruise control. I cannot buy any new car without something like the Lexus Pre-Collision System.

This is minor, but my wife sat in the back during the drive and was dismayed that in February there were no heated rear seats.

I forgot to check if the window switches lowered the windows with one touch, but you know what, at this point it didn't matter. I wasn't going to pay the equivalent of what I paid for my car new to get into a car that didn't offer, let alone exceed, what I already have.

So it looks like you guys are stuck with me for the foreseeable future!
Old 02-26-13, 03:41 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, indeed to all those points.

But you don't buy a Maserati for heated seats and a navigation touch screen.

You buy it to experience an exceptional driving machine.

But you know that.
Old 02-26-13, 04:40 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Lol..epic post
Old 02-26-13, 04:40 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can relate. Italian cars are for the driving experience (I owned a few) but absolutely not for creature comforts or reliability. Their electrical systems are a disaster, together with the Jaguars from before 2010. In fact, if you want to lose your hair faster than if you overdose your androgel, get any Italian car (Ferraris included) or one of those Jags. And the hairs won't fall off faster because of the winds, I guarantee it.

Last edited by Luxofreak; 03-10-13 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 10:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

some cars are great to drive. Some cars are great to own.
Old 02-27-13, 02:29 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
some cars are great to drive. Some cars are great to own.
Some are BOTH, like a nice SC430.

JR
Old 02-27-13, 03:04 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post. I definitely agree with having to use a key. I hate getting in and starting my wife's car because I have to get the key out my pocket.
Did it have automatic high beams? My friend laughed at that one commenting, "yeah it's so difficult to turn the high beams down?"
Old 02-27-13, 05:13 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on the keys.
Old 02-28-13, 09:03 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife and I find these issues often when looking at other cars. She had an RX350 and we went to look at a Cayenne (I wanted the power), but we just couldn't justify losing all of the creature comforts for an ugly interior and no options like the RX.
Old 02-28-13, 01:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

There is a reason Lexus sells more luxury cars than anyone else
Old 02-28-13, 01:55 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised broken_tsi that the Cayenne lacks comforts and options that the RX has. I've never sat in one, but I would have thought that at least the options would have been comparable if not the feel of the interior.

Luxofreak, I was wondering if you had a typo in your post, and meant Jags before 2000 rather than 2010. When Ford owned Jaguar they did some significant improvements. One of them was to replace the Lord of Darkness (Lucas). My wife has a 2001 S-Type. The car has never had a warranty repair, in or out of warranty, and has never had a recall. The car will turn 12 years, and 140K miles, this March. It still drives and looks marvelous.

When my wife informed me it was the car she wanted, I joined a Jag forum like this one (except for about 200,000 fewer members). At the time there were a number of issues with the initial 2000 model and I was concerned about buying one. But my wife loved the styling of the car and was insistent. As it turned out most of those with problems were the V8 models, and even those problems were cured in the second year of production.

BTW, I still belong to that forum, but now posts have dwindled to literally 4 or 5 per month, kind of sad actually.
Old 02-28-13, 03:04 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
When Ford owned Jaguar they did some significant improvements. One of them was to replace the Lord of Darkness (Lucas). My wife has a 2001 S-Type...At the time there were a number of issues with the initial 2000 model ...and even those problems were cured in the second year of production.
You can thank the "Ford wives" for the huge increase in quality and reliability in Jaguars under Ford's short ownership period. Ford execs, or course, had to drive the company's products, and their wives hated tooling around in crappy Lincolns and Mercurys when their non-Ford friends were all driving Lexi, Beemers, and Mercs. Once Nasser formed the Premier Automotive Group, every wife (and hubby) of a Ford exec dumped their domestics for loaded up Jags and Volvos. I was in Detroit at the time and the ecstatic Volvo dealer had inventory (S80 T6s) spread all over the adjacent grass field to meet the demand from ex-Town Car drivers on Ford's dime. Same with Jag. Since Mulally dumped PAG, the poor wives are back to driving MKZs or whatever.
Old 03-02-13, 05:33 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Yes, indeed to all those points.

But you don't buy a Maserati for heated seats and a navigation touch screen.

You buy it to experience an exceptional driving machine.

But you know that.
EXCEPTIONAL???? when it works.

they are service nightmares.. you can pick up a 08 or 09 for around 30k... so Ferrari built the engine.. ok so what tear the engine down every 10k miles.. yeah right..
Old 03-02-13, 07:02 PM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some unknown rapper/drug dealer got popped while driving his Maserati in Vegas a couple weeks ago - All you need to know.

Last edited by krzyd; 03-02-13 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-02-13, 07:08 PM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best thing about a Maserati was the line in that Ted Nugent song.

Last edited by krzyd; 03-03-13 at 12:04 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea máxima culpa