LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Weird BO and Musty smell in interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 08:12 PM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Weird BO and Musty smell in interior

Before you judge, no it’s not coming from me. I stay funk free 😎😁.

On a serious note, lately I’ve been getting this weird BO smell, like a strange musty odor inside the car somewhere. I thought maybe the suede headliner is starting to degrade or possibly the interior panels might be giving off this odor, but I can’t tell for sure by a sniff test as it’s hard to pinpoint exactly where the smell is coming from.

I did however get a slight wiff of it under the dash somewhere when I knelled down to check. I sprayed Lysol in the vents at the cowl, did the whole Ozium spray in the interior, and the smell is still there.

I keep my car very clean inside and don’t have anything that would cause this odor. Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be the A/C lines need to be cleaned out and deodorized?

Replaced the cabin air filter thinking that it could be the culprit, but it didn’t solve the problem either.

Thanks.
Old 05-06-24, 09:53 PM
Gerf
Racer

Received 700 Likes on 520 Posts

Take the cabin filter out and spay lysol or product to kill ac mildew smell in the direction of air flow in that opening with the fan running. Cross your fingers its not a dead cat under the hood.
Old 05-07-24, 04:39 AM
evansj
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It could be a water leak. I removed my passenger seat to deep clean the carpet and found water under the carpet. It took a while to track down, but the windscreen bonding had broken down and water was coming in near the top left corner of the screen and running all the way down the A pillar. I paid a local windscreen fitter to remove and refit the windscreen.
Old 05-07-24, 05:34 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerf
Take the cabin filter out and spay lysol or product to kill ac mildew smell in the direction of air flow in that opening with the fan running. Cross your fingers it’s not a dead cat under the hood.
I didn’t think about doing that, thanks for that tip. Also I think it could be coming from the floor vents or defroster vents since I rarely if ever use the floor vents and the smell is coming from somewhere in the dash area.

A dead cat would be absolutely horrible in smell, thank god it’s just a little funky smelling in mine. Lol.
Old 05-07-24, 05:35 AM
FlexnLexus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evansj
It could be a water leak. I removed my passenger seat to deep clean the carpet and found water under the carpet. It took a while to track down, but the windscreen bonding had broken down and water was coming in near the top left corner of the screen and running all the way down the A pillar. I paid a local windscreen fitter to remove and refit the windscreen.

Good to know, I’ll take a look at mine. Thank you.
Old 05-07-24, 05:41 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,151 Likes on 854 Posts

Likely a windshield water leak on the passenger lower corner, somewhat common with these cars and can eventually kill modules behind the dash.
Old 05-07-24, 11:40 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 76 Posts

I've also had debris build up under the engine cowling letting water spill into the air filter before. May want to check the air filter element after a hard rain and see if it's wet. Removing the cowling and cleaning the cavity isn't that difficult.
Old 05-07-24, 02:51 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a musty odor coming from the vents in an LS430. Toyota sells a product, about $10 to $15 a can if I remember correctly, that is made to clean and deordorize the system. Followed the directions, did it a second time and the problem was solved.
Old 05-07-24, 03:48 PM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 560 Likes on 393 Posts

So. That's an issue. How would I go about that myself? Hmm, first life the car and use a/c cleaning foam spray via tube into evaporator and heater drain hoses. Sometimes that works. Next I'd be taking wipers' cowl off, to see if there's rotting foliage stuck in there.
But if you have damp carpets - start with that. Roof drain or bad windshield sealing?
Old 05-08-24, 09:34 AM
evansj
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Be aware that the carpets are quite thick, and there's also a large chunk of polystyrene under there between the carpet and the floor. I had a puddle on the floor under the carpet, but the top of the carpet didn't feel wet. I hope you don't have a water leak from your windscreen but if you do, it's not as bad as you might think to get it fixed. The company that did it made me agree to them turning up with a brand new screen and having that fitted in the unlikely event that the original one broke when they removed it, but it came out and went back in again fine. I can't remember the price, something like £150. They did a great job.
To locate the leak I removed the A pillar trim and had a look with a torch during a rain storm, I could see the stream of water tracking down the inside of the screen at the A pillar.
Old 05-08-24, 10:12 AM
Gerf
Racer

Originally Posted by evansj
To locate the leak I removed the A pillar trim and had a look with a torch during a rain storm, I could see the stream of water tracking down the inside of the screen at the A pillar.
You’re lucky you didn’t set the car on fire.
Old 05-08-24, 10:54 AM
dan25man
Intermediate

Received 113 Likes on 76 Posts

Oh, how'd we miss this, just gotta get a bunch of AXE body spray and nuke the inside. Can't smell bad things if you can't smell anything at all. I've used a combo of febreeze and cat/dog pee deodorizer to de-smell my rain soaked SC430 before. worked ok but the foam will always be stained.
Old 05-08-24, 12:20 PM
JRA2000TL
Pit Crew

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
So. That's an issue. How would I go about that myself? Hmm, first life the car and use a/c cleaning foam spray via tube into evaporator and heater drain hoses. Sometimes that works. Next I'd be taking wipers' cowl off, to see if there's rotting foliage stuck in there.
But if you have damp carpets - start with that. Roof drain or bad windshield sealing?
Toyota sells a kit for this. The Car Care Nut did a video on it, but it's basically what you said about using a/c cleaning foam into the evaporator. When I worked as a service advisor many year ago, we used something called FrigiFresh in the cowl.
Old 05-08-24, 01:49 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Try this. My Lexus dealer recommended it to me and it's great stuff. I even used it in my home and it eliminated the musty odor immediately. Used it a year ago and none needed since. I just sprayed it into one of the A/C outlet with the a/c on.

https://ozium.com/products/fogger-original
Old 05-08-24, 02:22 PM
Gerf
Racer

Just use spray nine, looks like it kills everything.

Quick Reply: Weird BO and Musty smell in interior