LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

OEM Air Suspension ride height links below car..adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 03:16 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default OEM Air Suspension ride height links below car..adjustable?

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with adjusting the ride height of the factory air suspension equipped LS's by adjusting these brackets below the car? Yottabyte spoke about this, but I cannot seem to find more information on this. For those that have done it, can you share your experience on how you can lower the normal ride height with these?

From https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7653456-post37.html

I had this posted in the Air Suspension 101 thread, but since it is buried in the thread, I was hoping to get some more eyes on it and I will add this thread back into the 101 thread if anyone can add helpful info..thanks!

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-12-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 05:08 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I lowered my car like that when I was having the module issue. I removed the 10mm bolt, straightened the tab that falls in the hole, then turned the tab so that the sensor drops (cant remember which way it was turned but the sensor drops) and tightened it to where I wanted it. It only takes a small move for the car to lower a lot. Took about an hour of turning, checking, loosening, retightening and checking again before I got it to where I wanted it which was about the same as 4 on the module. Raises to about stock height when the high height button is pushed. I've since resolved my module issue, so I set everything back the way it was.
Old 02-10-13, 05:54 PM
CJITTY

Thanks Busa! My goal was to maybe adjust the normal height to what would equal around level 2 of the controller or so. My normal height is 4 finger gap front and 3 rear. Was trying to get it to around 2 front and 1 rear or so with this method.
Old 02-11-13, 05:49 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 305Busa
I lowered my car like that when I was having the module issue. I removed the 10mm bolt, straightened the tab that falls in the hole, then turned the tab so that the sensor drops (cant remember which way it was turned but the sensor drops) and tightened it to where I wanted it. It only takes a small move for the car to lower a lot. Took about an hour of turning, checking, loosening, retightening and checking again before I got it to where I wanted it which was about the same as 4 on the module. Raises to about stock height when the high height button is pushed. I've since resolved my module issue, so I set everything back the way it was.
Was the car in the air or on the ground? Do you have any other tips for someone about to tackle this?

Also, does this have any detrimental effect on the car?
Old 02-11-13, 08:11 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
Was the car in the air or on the ground? Do you have any other tips for someone about to tackle this?

Also, does this have any detrimental effect on the car?
Car has to be levelled, on the ground and running. The bolts are easy to get to if you turn the wheels. The rear is a little more difficult but doable.
Old 02-11-13, 10:48 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So a drive on lift would be perfect? Do the comfort and sport settings have any effect once this is done?
Old 02-11-13, 10:54 AM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

So if you wanted it to get as low as you could, would you put it at normal height, adjust the tabs, then put it in super L mode to see how much it changed, then repeat till you get what you like? Seems pretty easy to get it lower.
Old 02-11-13, 04:29 PM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I understanding this correctly? I can adjust my ride height slightly without an aftermarket controller? It would be a permanent adjustment unless I adjusted it again. I am interested in lowering my LS a little permanently, but I am not into slamming it. Would this affect the warranty? I have a feeling it would.
Old 02-11-13, 04:48 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by pmiller
Would this affect the warranty? I have a feeling it would.
Well..who's to say you adjusted anything? Haha (whistling)

It only needs about an inch or so to visually look better. Remember, the car drops down quite a bit at highway speed automatically. I had my controller in and noted the drop level on the screen. The controller was set to normal but once I hit around 65mph..the car lowered to about the same as level 3 or 4 if done manually on the controller. So..a slight adjustment probably wont hurt if I had to guess. I suppose when the car lowers itself..it is assuming smooth roads and no major potholes. Bit there are plenty of concrete/blacktop junctions across the country that make your teeth click when you hit them..that cant be good at 70mph.

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-11-13 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 05:40 PM
pmiller
Driver

I didn't think the car lowered at any speed. I figure that is wishful thinking. There is so much wrong information on the OEM air suspension. Dealer tech told me that only the rear raises when the high height button is pressed. They also told me that having the drivers side an inch and half higher after I got out was normal. That was because the air suspension was compensating for me being in the car. I said, "come on a 4,000 lbs car raises an 1 1/2" for a 200 lbs man after I get out?" After a week in the shop, they admitted it was out of specs and fixed it. Glad I had the warranty.
I wouldn't lower it more than an inch. Probably only 3/4". But I don't have an after market controller. I suppose the tires would wear differently with it lowered a inch all the time, wouldn't they? I see all these cars slammed and they mention camber and short tire life. I just want a little lower stance to make the car look a better. Don't want it slammed. I think slamming the car is cool for show cars and I like looking at them, but its not my style.
Thanks for any advice CL can offer.
Old 02-11-13, 06:24 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
So a drive on lift would be perfect? Do the comfort and sport settings have any effect once this is done?
I wouldn't say perfect but its a good start. Once you start driving, the car will adjust itself a little more but a lift is a good suggestion.
Old 02-11-13, 06:26 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by pmiller
Am I understanding this correctly? I can adjust my ride height slightly without an aftermarket controller? It would be a permanent adjustment unless I adjusted it again. I am interested in lowering my LS a little permanently, but I am not into slamming it. Would this affect the warranty? I have a feeling it would.
Yes. It's basically how the Skipper lowering links work. Same principal but the links are adjustable. With the method mentioned above, you have to fool the factory suspension.
Old 02-11-13, 07:08 PM
pmiller
Driver

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Yes. It's basically how the Skipper lowering links work. Same principal but the links are adjustable. With the method mentioned above, you have to fool the factory suspension.
So the Skipper is adjustable vs. the OEM link is not except how stated in this thread, correct? How do you fool the factory suspension?
Old 02-11-13, 07:45 PM
CJITTY

The skipper links are aftermarket bolts that have more range of adjustment. The brackets in the pics above is what you would adjust..but either method is fooling the suspension of the car to lower it.

As far as that tech..they are flat wrong lol. Hell..you can measure with your fingers and clearly see how much higher the car goes in HH mode haha...I can say with 100% certainty the car lowers at around 62 to 65mph. The data systems controller has a screen view that shows 4 horizontal bars with a center line between them..the top left bar is driver front, top left is passenger front, bottom left is driver rear and bottom right is passenger rear. At normal height..the bars are barely noticeable. as you drive the car, the controller is reading the suspension level in real time. If you hit a dip and the strut compresses..the bar extends outward from the center line. When it rebounds back to normal, the bar gets less wide back toward center line. Once you hit around 65mph sustained for a minute or so, you can clearly see the car lowering down because the bars begin to extend away from center line. It is almost as if the data controller was set to level 3 or 4. As the car slows down below that 65mph number..the car will slowly raise back to normal ride height. When I reinstall my controller I will make a video..I think this is one of the best features of the data controller.

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-11-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-11-13, 08:24 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with cjitty,and also my front and rear rises when I set it to high height.

Quick Reply: OEM Air Suspension ride height links below car..adjustable?