LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Help with TIRES

Old 02-05-13, 05:26 AM
Bopeep12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with TIRES

LS460 or LS460L owners.

I have a LS460L that I purchased in Jan 2011. Since then I have went through 4 tires just on the front from wearing in the inside of each tire. I have taken the car to Lexus numerous times, well today they tell me that im only supposed to get 15k per set of tires with proper rotation. Is this true, or some BS.

Thank you.
Old 02-05-13, 05:35 AM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's true. This was also stated on the sticker attached to your rear passenger windows. OE tires are just c**p.
Old 02-05-13, 09:15 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

If your tires are wearing on the inside, you have an alignment problem. However, before you spend money on an alignment, have the control arm bushings checked.

Oh, and welcome to CL, don't be a stranger!
Old 02-05-13, 10:28 AM
Bopeep12
Driver School Candidate

@ dimapb, thanks.
@ Nospinzone. Thank you, im glad I found this site. Thanks for the tip as well. Here is what I have been going through since i purchased the car. I purchased the car in Jan 11. I put a new set of Kumho tires all the way around. I rotated and balanced the tires. Well the front wore out only in the inside, so I purchased 2 more and put them on the front, and they wore out, so as we speak right now I am on the 3 set of tires just on the front. I was told at Lexus that they couldn't find anything wrong. I am going to put a set of Goodyear Eagle GT on the car and try them, and see how they work. It is just hard to believe that I am only suppose to get 15k out of a set of tires on that car. And I want to so badd put after market on there. Just trying to get some advice from other LS owners? Any advice on this now. LOL
Old 02-05-13, 11:52 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Sorry, I realized I didn't answer your question about only getting 15K on a set of tires. There have been some posts here over the years of people who only got that much with the original Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires. These are the tires that came with my car. I had 23K on them when I changed them, but they had 3 to 5K left at the time. I replaced them with Pirelli P Zero Nero and got almost 30K out of those.

It's hard to say what is normal since driving style, inflation (psi, not the economy), tire balance, and alignment play major roles in tire life.

From what you are saying I definitely think you have an alignment issue. I would look for a top notch independent shop with a Hunter Hawkeye alignment machine. Bring it into them and see what they say. Some dealerships simply do not do tires well.
Old 02-05-13, 01:04 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Ask to see the alignment spec sheet before and after.

What kind of tires are you putting on there?

EL42s are terrible. You can try some Potenza RE970s or Turanza Serenity Plus which will give much better tread life.
Old 02-05-13, 02:08 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tires

The only Lexus I noticed at the dealer's that stated to expect 15,000 miles on the tires was the Sport model, with 19" Summer Performance tires. There is definitely something wrong with your vehicle. Hell I have had 3 Lexus vehicles, the newest being a 2012 and the mileage is good. On my 2010 I had 38,000 on them when I sold the vehicle and they were in great shape. They where Micheliln Pilot Sport Plus. In the 90's had a Sport Coupe (Wife's), and she drove the car hard and we got 50,000 on them on California highways.
Old 02-05-13, 07:12 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Bopeep12;7747419 I am going to put a set of Goodyear Eagle GT on the car and try them, and see how they work............. Any advice on this now. LOL[/QUOTE]

Check out this posting:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...tion-help.html

When I bought me 2009 LS460 (Certified Pre Owned) it had Goodyear GT's on it. They looked like they were very new BUT they were badly chopped on the front and were noisy as heck. The tread pattern on the GT’s is very aggressive.

I insisted that new Michelin tires be installed or I was walking away from the deal. The Michelins are whisper quiet. I just brought it in for the first oil change and rotation at 5 months and 3,500 miles. So far they are wearing very evenly.

JR
Old 02-05-13, 07:14 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Goodyears quality has been too inconsistent in the past few years to take seriously.
Old 02-05-13, 09:05 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Please try the new Michelin or Bridgestone tires. They have 45,000 to 55,000 mile warranty, Its the best tire you can get that will give you smoothness, quietness, and comfort with great longevity. Handling and traction are the best in category. Don't skimp on tires. All my cars have tires lasting more than 30k even with low profile size because I buy high quality tires, road force balance them, and rarely rotate them (rotating tires expedite the wear on the tires because they have to realign to their new position leading to sloppy handling and ride feel as the tires age). This is why BMW and Audi don;t recommend rotation nowadays. Don't believe your dealer saying that 15k is all you can get. Its on the standard garbage tires that came with the car.

Give the bridgestone turanza serenity plus a try. Assuming that you have the 18 inch rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=RWD

or the Michelin Pilot MXM4.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....utoModClar=RWD
Old 02-06-13, 06:00 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Do you see the reviews of the MXM4?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&width=235%2F&ratio=50&diameter=18&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2011&autoModel=LS+460+L&autoModClar=RWD

Old 02-06-13, 08:01 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

You are right. I have the Pilot MXM4 on the Mercedes S550 and it does very well, Smooth with good thread wear. Its not as good as the newer Primacy MXM4 on the Lexus though. Too bad the newer Primacy MXM4 tires do not fit the 18 inch Lexus Ls rims unless the person goes for a different width or sidewall height.
Old 02-06-13, 08:52 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Rexus300
You are right. I have the Pilot MXM4 on the Mercedes S550 and it does very well, Smooth with good thread wear. Its not as good as the newer Primacy MXM4 on the Lexus though. Too bad the newer Primacy MXM4 tires do not fit the 18 inch Lexus Ls rims unless the person goes for a different width or sidewall height.
Tread wear.

The Primacy looks promising.

My MXM4s ride very nice, but I'm "spirited" in my driving and they fail to deliver.

The Potenza RE970s are fantastic with no degradation in ride quality at all, but I switched to some 19" LS600hL wheels at the same time.
Old 02-07-13, 08:51 PM
Bopeep12
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm putting Goodyear eagle gt's on the car. I want to try and fix this problem before I put aftermarket tires and rim on it. I'm calling lexus tomorrow to get the control arm bushings fixed as well to see if that might be an issue as well.
Old 02-09-13, 08:15 PM
Rdmillerrd
Driver School Candidate

OK... So here's my tale of woe.... I bought a 2011 (certified Pre-owned) LS 600h L five months ago with 5k miles and have put another 14k miles on it since then (pretty heavy mileage, mix of city/highway). The OEM tires are EL 42 Turanza. The truth is, the ride is very smooth -- maybe the best ride I've ever had (better than BMW, Mercedes, etc). The inner tread of the front tires is now completely destroyed (kind of scary, actually). I will check the control arm bushing as others suggest and will get a good alignment with a Hawkeye alignment machine. And, I assume I just suck it up and get new tires at less than 20k miles (which seems absurd, but, whatever....). So, the question is, assuming that a whisper quiet, unnaturally smooth ride is the top priority and some reasonable measure of tread wear and longevity is of secondary importance but not immaterial.... WHICH TIRES SHOULD I GET? SHOULD I REPLACE ALL 4 OR JUST THE FRONTS? WHERE SHOULD I GET THEM? SHOULD I ROTATE THEM OR IS THAT OLD FASHIONED? WHAT'S THE OVER/UNDER NUMBER ON EXPECTED MILEAGE FOR THESE NEW KICKS? Many thanks, gang!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with TIRES