LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Should I buy 130k ish mile Lexus LS460?

Old 01-29-13, 07:41 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Should I buy 130k ish mile Lexus LS460?

Hello CL. Currently I have is350 but I am trying to sell that and get a different car. I didn't think about LS460 but my boss just told me he is trying to sell his DD 2008 LS460 (SWB). It has about 130k miles but most of them are freeway mileage. (He drives about 50 miles one way but 45 miles are freeway) He told me he would give me his car for trade in dealer price. It's good deal and hard to pass... My IS had no problem. I am pretty sure LS460 will be reliable too. He just did 120k service at Lexus and cost him 4~5k. He always took it to Lexus dealer to do all the maintenance till now. He is my boss so I know car is in good condition. I am planning to drive this car 2~3 times a week (probably less than 8k / year) since I have Honda DD (160k mile and running strong). I know there is valve spring recall but other than that, is there anything else I should know? If he did valve spring recall, is it safe? I know LS460 parts and labors are very expensive so I don't want to freak out when something goes wrong... Thank you for reading!!!
Old 01-29-13, 09:00 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

What is the asking price?
Old 01-29-13, 09:29 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's supposedly a good price...go for it!!

Last edited by adamls2; 01-29-13 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-29-13, 09:40 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
If it's a supposedly a good price...go for it!!
agreed, depend on what the price is, but if it's good I don't see any reason not to.
Old 01-29-13, 10:29 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Itis all about price!!!

Here are the most recent 2008 LS460 swb transactions at the auction I got from a friend of mine Give you something to work with that has the closest amount of miles to what that LS has at 130K

Date Auction Loc Type Sale Price Mileage Cond Color
01/02/13 NASHVILL Regular $27,500 110,839 Avg White

01/17/13 TX HOBBY Regular $24,600 117,658 Below BLACK

01/03/13 PA Lease $20,250 216,604 Below BLACK
Old 01-29-13, 02:08 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

The price of the car aside, there is something else to consider. Could this purchase in any way negatively affect your relationship with your boss, and if it did, would you care?

From your description of how the car was driven and how well it was maintained, you are certainly buying a creampuff. However, even a creampuff can end up going very sour. Your statement that, "....I don't want to freak out when something goes wrong..." indicates that it could impact your relationship at work. Now if you expect to be moving on to other employment, then it may not matter much.

As much as possible I have always shied away from business type dealings with family and work relationships. These relationships are often hard enough to manage without introducing outside factors. On the other hand, you are probably getting a sweetheart deal and it may be worth the risk.

Sorry 08sgmis350, I know all I'm doing is complicating things and not helping you a bit!
Old 01-29-13, 02:20 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The price of the car aside, there is something else to consider. Could this purchase in any way negatively affect your relationship with your boss, and if it did, would you care?

From your description of how the car was driven and how well it was maintained, you are certainly buying a creampuff. However, even a creampuff can end up going very sour. Your statement that, "....I don't want to freak out when something goes wrong..." indicates that it could impact your relationship at work. Now if you expect to be moving on to other employment, then it may not matter much.

As much as possible I have always shied away from business type dealings with family and work relationships. These relationships are often hard enough to manage without introducing outside factors. On the other hand, you are probably getting a sweetheart deal and it may be worth the risk.

Sorry 08sgmis350, I know all I'm doing is complicating things and not helping you a bit!
NSZ brings up a good point, things may not be what they seem. But on the other hand, I sold my Acura TL to a buddy of mine I work with, but he wanted it because he knew how well I took care of it and even because of the mods I had on it. So, for about 3 months after the sale, I was kind of "tech support" for him for a while and answered some questions about noises or helped him with part numbers just to save him time. In fact, I even kept the XM subscription on my account because I only have two radios and I can save him a good amount of money becuse it is an additional radio at the cheaper rate. He just pays me once per year via paypal. But we are good friends so it is all good.

The service records are important as well, you can get that easily from the MyLexus portion of Lexus.com website as long as you have the VIN. Good luck!
Old 01-29-13, 05:54 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
NSZ brings up a good point, things may not be what they seem. But on the other hand, I sold my Acura TL to a buddy of mine I work with, but he wanted it because he knew how well I took care of it and even because of the mods I had on it. So, for about 3 months after the sale, I was kind of "tech support" for him for a while and answered some questions about noises or helped him with part numbers just to save him time. In fact, I even kept the XM subscription on my account because I only have two radios and I can save him a good amount of money becuse it is an additional radio at the cheaper rate. He just pays me once per year via paypal. But we are good friends so it is all good.

The service records are important as well, you can get that easily from the MyLexus portion of Lexus.com website as long as you have the VIN. Good luck!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh throw me on the bish..... lol i love my sirrus/xm. I get it for free with my people mover (04 denali) until the contract run out then imma just change the radio to a double din.
Old 01-29-13, 06:25 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with NoSpinZone. Just too much of a risk to buy the boss's car. The first time you have to drop some serious cash on a repair, you have created an uncomfortable working environment and relationship....for both. I would question the boss's leadership smarts. He may be a very nice man, and think he is doing you a favor, but he is playing with fire.
Old 01-29-13, 11:41 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Thank you everyone for replies. Asking price is about 18k ish. I totally agreed that it will be uncomfortable when something goes wrong and I have to spend lotta money to fix the problems. It's kinda risky cuz it's high mileage too. I'll think about it again. I don't want to be uncomfortable when I'm working. O I checked the record and it shows that he did all the maintenance every 5-6k miles at Lexus dealer. Well I think 18k is hard to pass but I'll think about it one more time. Thank you for your opinions everyone!!!
Old 01-30-13, 04:49 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08sgmis350
Thank you everyone for replies. Asking price is about 18k ish. I totally agreed that it will be uncomfortable when something goes wrong and I have to spend lotta money to fix the problems. It's kinda risky cuz it's high mileage too. I'll think about it again. I don't want to be uncomfortable when I'm working. O I checked the record and it shows that he did all the maintenance every 5-6k miles at Lexus dealer. Well I think 18k is hard to pass but I'll think about it one more time. Thank you for your opinions everyone!!!

At that price, providing the car is problem free in its current state I'll jump on it. Wow 18K for an 08 LS sounds like a deal to me. You may know your Managers personality the best. Does he seem like someone that would sell you a clunker knowing you see him everyday?
Old 01-30-13, 05:14 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO H no... Despite how reliable a LS460 is why would you purchase a car with 130k on it unless it's practically being giving to you. As soon as something goes wrong with the car your going to look at him differently. Anything over 70k miles I would stay away from regardless. I highly suggest you look around/get your money up and purchase a nice used LS460 with a extend warranty.
Old 01-30-13, 06:15 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

My boss is not the type of guy who will screw me hehe. We go out for lunch in his car sometimes so I kinda know how she runs. Reason why he want to sell it is because he is getting new A8 so he is asking me before he trade in his car. He even said its been reliable but you never know when it will break down so he also was worried about "what if" part. But you are right... Even tho it's cheap (he prolly will give me cheaper than 18k lol). 130k + mile is very risky. I don't really drive much but I prolly have to sell it before it reaches 200k miles... Thank you for your opinions again~.

Last edited by 08sgmis350; 01-30-13 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 06:26 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

This seems like a special situation and I would go for it. The price seems great. Based on the auction prices posted you could spend a few thousand dollars and still have a good deal. The car has service records and has recently had a major service. Re relationship with boss, if something does go wrong, the boss may feel a little guilty and cut you some slack. I had a similar situation in the late 90s when I bought a client's 94 LS that they were going to trade in on a new LS. Got a great deal and kept the car several years.
Old 01-30-13, 07:04 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't hesitate... It's 18k for an LS... FFS you find gs350's from 08 for more money!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I buy 130k ish mile Lexus LS460?