LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

?? Battery Date Code and Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 03:47 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ?? Battery Date Code and Corrosion

Today I was going to install a pigtail for my Battery Tender on my 2009 LS 460. See below what I found when I pulled the protective cap off the positive terminal. It’s going to Lexus Service in the morning but have some questions.

This car was purchased as a CPO by me 5 months ago. Looking at the online service history there is an entry where it was towed in 07/01/2011 and an entry “Inspect Battery Charge Level” I’m not sure how to decode the stamped code on the battery. I believe the first 2 characters being 1 E signify 1=2011 and E=May. If so then Lexus replaced the battery on that service visit. Can anyone confirm date code?

Question 2. If this is a May 2011 manufactured battery would Lexus warranty if it has failed, even if the previous owner had it replaced under warranty in 2011?

When I called the service writer to make an appointment I believe he said something like if the battery was replaced less than 2 years ago there it would be under warranty.

JR
Attached Thumbnails ?? Battery Date Code and Corrosion-battery1.jpg   ?? Battery Date Code and Corrosion-battery2.jpg  

Last edited by FLYCT; 01-18-13 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-18-13, 06:41 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd show it to them. No way that happened in 5 months since you purchased it. They should have caught that when they certified it.

Make them correct it/replace the battery and install the felt alkaline washers that prevent the terminals from getting all boogered up.

If I dont have the felt washers, I usually slather the terminals with grease to protect them from corrosion.

Also, the batteries are usually 84 month pro rated (Lexus replacement units), however, you may want to check your manual, the battery may be covered under the bumper to bumper new car warranty.

Last edited by wchain; 01-18-13 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-19-13, 11:29 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wchain
I'd show it to them. No way that happened in 5 months since you purchased it. They should have caught that when they certified it.

Make them correct it/replace the battery and install the felt alkaline washers that prevent the terminals from getting all boogered up.

If I dont have the felt washers, I usually slather the terminals with grease to protect them from corrosion.

Also, the batteries are usually 84 month pro rated (Lexus replacement units), however, you may want to check your manual, the battery may be covered under the bumper to bumper new car warranty.
I just got back from dealer.

They removed the battery and cleaned it up. They also cleaned up the battery tray and replaced the terminal end/clamp on the end of the positive cable. They sprayed what looks like flat black paint on the terminals so I suspect it would look nice cosmetically.when I get back in town I'll install felt alkaline washers. All service today was covered under extended warranty.

They also load tested the battery and it checked good. It was confirmed as being replaced on 7/19/11 by previous owner and battery warranty started 7/2011. The first 2 years is full replacement and prorated for 84 months.

This car sat a couple of times for over a month without being driven. What I think happened is that after a month of self discharge and parasitic discharge it was below 50% charged. Once the car was started, the alternator pumped full blast into it to bring it up the voltage and caused the electrolyte to boil out causing the corrosion on the terminal. I'm not sure what the alternator is rated at but probably at least 60 amps.

This makes a great case for battery tender use for batteries that sit unused for more than a week. Keeping the battery fully charged with a smart charger prevents boil over.

I'll be gone for several weeks and the car will be sitting in the garage unused, so I just installed the pigtail kit on the new battery and have it on a Battery Tender JR.

JR