LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460L with 60k on her

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-13, 09:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Don't know any - don't wanna know any...
You should find one. Ask around, I have an incredible guy. Was a Lexus master tech for 16 years, has his own little shop. Its nothing fancy, but they do a great job, and the cost savings are just stupid.

That $3,000 actuator job might be...$800...$1,000. 5k service, $250 at the dealer...$90 from him. Brakes? $600 at Lexus...$250 from him. And, he's a certified Lexus master tech, all OEM original parts, he shops around to find the best deals on the parts or lets you buy and bring your own.

The dealer is great when your car is new and under warranty, you pay a big premium for scheduled service but the atmosphere and perks are great. When your car gets older though, and starts needing things done, needing things diagnosed. The dealer will absolutely put you in the poor house, and on top of that they aren't very good at diagnosing and troubleshooting things since the bulk of what they do js change oil, rotate tires, and perform step by step TSIBs.

I like the dealer as much as the next guy, but if they want $3,000 for a brake actuator I can have done for 1/3 of that...I'll get it done at a good independent mechanic and then go on a cruise or something with the savings...I mean...I'll miss out on the cookies but plenty of cookies on the ship.
Old 01-12-13, 01:33 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
The Lexus Platinum warranty is only available if the car is still within the 4 yr 50,000 miles from original delivery date so you will find your car is not eligible.
Not true.

I got a 4 yr 40K Platinum Warranty when I bought my LS with 72K miles.

See these dealers for best prices on the Platinum Warranty - you DO NOT have to buy it from the selling dealer -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7468386-post3.html
Old 01-12-13, 11:07 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
I got a 4 yr 40K Platinum Warranty when I bought my LS with 72K miles.
WOW! if there is ANY way at all to get a factory warranty on the 2007 LS, I say go for it!

I simply cannot imagine living under the sword of Damocles with Lexus parts as dear as they are. Aren't the struts over $1,000? And the ML amp and NAV are hideously expensive. I suppose you could cruise junkyards, but how many 2007s are available for parting out? Not many I'd guess. Every bump I hit or every time passengers operated their power controls, I'd be a basket case waiting for the bell to toll.
Old 01-12-13, 11:25 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
You should find one...

The dealer is great when your car is new and under warranty...

When your car gets older though, and starts needing things done, needing things diagnosed.
Two completely different philosophies of lux car ownership. I would make sure my vehicle was covered by a transferable factory bumper-to-bumper warranty for as long as I planned to own it, plus one year. That way, the new owner has the security of being covered for his first year, making a private party sale go down much easier and giving me just a bit more leverage with the dealer for trade-in.

Way back when, I used to operate as you suggest. I eventually discovered there were NO savings no matter what price the mechanic charged. A factory warranty would cover everything for less total money over the multiple years of ownership. I also figured out that buying the declining years of a car (even a nice car) was a losing proposition. Someone else was getting the 20s and 30s and leaving me the sags and wrinkles of the 40s and 50s. No longer. Yep, I'll pay a bit more, but i'll get a LOT more. The VALUE equation, however, works to my benefit, not yours. I am driving a luxury automobile in perfect condition and in perfect confidence every day I own it. Can't beat that. Some BJ's are just worth an extra $300 (brake jobs, I meant).
Old 01-13-13, 06:23 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

and wrinkles of the 40s and 50s.
What about us 60s?
Old 01-13-13, 07:55 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently purchased a 2007 with 70k for $30k. Perfect condition. I am taking all risk for cost of future repairs. When I bought mine, to get a Certified LS460, it would have been $40k or more (2008 or 2009 with around 50k miles). Exact same car, but with the warranty. So I am paying $10k upfront for the warranty. In several years, since the Certified car was a year newer, it would be worth maybe $2k more than my car. So the warranty would cost me $8k up front. Hopefully there is <50% chance I will spend $8k in repairs that would have been covered under the warranty. Overall these cars are very high quality and historically LS460 models would go 200k without any major issues (I have owned several). And I have $8k in savings to put towards repairs before the Certified option would be better.
Old 01-13-13, 10:12 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by waynedog
I recently purchased a 2007 with 70k for $30k. Perfect condition. I am taking all risk for cost of future repairs.
I like the way you think BUT I'm happily married and wish to stay that way..

When buying a car I spend my time and energy to make sure I get an excellent condition car with the least money out of pocket. To satisfy the wife I limit my search to vehicles that are able to be covered by some factory warranty.

My wife and I currently own 4 Lexus vehicles. All are covered by some sort of Lexus Warranty. One new car warranty, one car Platinum Extended warranty and two have CPO warranties. Why do you ask? Because I'm married and my wife's risk tolerance is very low. The 6 words that have allowed me to remain happily marred for 43 years are "Yes dear, You're Right, I'm sorry"

There is value using dealerships for service and repairs. I'm a retired Technical Service Manager of high tech, Fortune 500 company. Using Lexus dealerships has value that you pay for. Techs have 2nd and third level support to help with problems. They also have access to up to date problem resolution data base.

JR
Old 01-13-13, 10:54 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Originally Posted by waynedog
I recently purchased a 2007 with 70k for $30k. Perfect condition. I am taking all risk for cost of future repairs. When I bought mine, to get a Certified LS460, it would have been $40k or more (2008 or 2009 with around 50k miles). Exact same car, but with the warranty. So I am paying $10k upfront for the warranty. In several years, since the Certified car was a year newer, it would be worth maybe $2k more than my car. So the warranty would cost me $8k up front. Hopefully there is <50% chance I will spend $8k in repairs that would have been covered under the warranty. Overall these cars are very high quality and historically LS460 models would go 200k without any major issues (I have owned several). And I have $8k in savings to put towards repairs before the Certified option would be better.
Not sure I'm understanding your math there.
Old 01-13-13, 10:57 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I am married also so I feel your pain. I guess another factor I forgot to mention is I live 30 miles from the closest Lexus dealer (Greenville, SC) and they do not have a very good reputation (I have dealt with them before in a car purchase and they were worse than GM dealers with their bait and switch/hidden fees/deception practices). Next closest is Charlotte at 80 miles. So I am inclined to not use Lexus dealers for service.
Old 01-13-13, 03:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A factory warranty would cover everything for less total money over the multiple years of ownership.
Warranties don't cover wear items.

Yep, I'll pay a bit more, but i'll get a LOT more. The VALUE equation, however, works to my benefit, not yours. I am driving a luxury automobile in perfect condition and in perfect confidence every day I own it. Can't beat that. Some BJ's are just worth an extra $300 (brake jobs, I meant).
That doesn't make any sense. What are you "getting" that is a "lot more"? We're talking about paying 100%-200% more!

I fail to see how two identical brake jobs, done with the same OEM parts, and performed by people of the same skill and training level (if not even better with the independents) can have different value levels. If you want to pay the dealer, fine. I used to be the same way, huge proponent of the dealer...but once I found my independent guy that 100% changed.

My luxury cars have always been "in perfect condition" and have been driven in "perfect confidence". Its just a car, nothing so spectacular about a Lexus that an independent mechanic cannot service it as well or better than the dealer.

Its a moot point for me as the last Lexus I traded in I didn't even get to brakes, but to the OP if you are planning on driving one of these cars 100-150-200k miles plus (and I have done that), you would be very wise to find a go find a really competent independent mechanic vs using the dealer when you start having repairs that are related to the age of the car. Control arms, ball joints, brakes, whatever, you will get raped at the dealer. Continuing to pay thousands of dollars for warranties on a very reliable car to me is also foolish. Just set some funds aside and you'll be fine.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-13-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 06:54 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two completely different philosophies of lux car ownership. I would make sure my vehicle was covered by a transferable factory bumper-to-bumper warranty for as long as I planned to own it, plus one year. That way, the new owner has the security of being covered for his first year, making a private party sale go down much easier and giving me just a bit more leverage with the dealer for trade-in.

Way back when, I used to operate as you suggest. I eventually discovered there were NO savings no matter what price the mechanic charged. A factory warranty would cover everything for less total money over the multiple years of ownership. I also figured out that buying the declining years of a car (even a nice car) was a losing proposition. Someone else was getting the 20s and 30s and leaving me the sags and wrinkles of the 40s and 50s. No longer. Yep, I'll pay a bit more, but i'll get a LOT more. The VALUE equation, however, works to my benefit, not yours. I am driving a luxury automobile in perfect condition and in perfect confidence every day I own it. Can't beat that. Some BJ's are just worth an extra $300 (brake jobs, I meant).
$300 for a BJ? I do my own BJ's for much less.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...searchTerm=pad
Old 01-13-13, 09:16 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

What Lexus site did you go to get the service report printout? Can you get it for any Lexus, or just from a particular dealer where the service/work was performed on that particular unit?
Old 01-13-13, 09:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Any Lexus dealer can pull a complete service history as long as the services have been done at any Lexus dealer.
Old 01-14-13, 02:08 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fhobbs
What Lexus site did you go to get the service report printout? Can you get it for any Lexus, or just from a particular dealer where the service/work was performed on that particular unit?
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

Create a user account then enter a VIN.
Old 01-14-13, 03:21 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

Create a user account then enter a VIN.

The drivers site gives a simple description of service performed. Any Lexus dealer can pull a listing of all service BUT at the top,it states "CONFIDENTIAL and PROPRIETY. Not to be distributed to Customers". Service reps are not supposed to copy this with customer. There's another list that shows prices paid and who paid it. I got to see this for my CPO LS 460 to see internal charge of $1,250 for tires installed just prior to delivery.

That list will show details with who paid and how much.

An example of a typical listing is;

The Lexus drivers site will simply state; NON WARRANTY-ABLE OPERATION CODE.

The Propriety list will state; NON-WARRANTYABLE OPERATION CODE. VIBRATION AT 65-80. MPH. FRONT TIRES WERE EXTREMELY WORN ON INSIDE EDGES. TIRES ARE ALSO CHOPPED ON INSIDE EDGES. RECOMMENDED 2 TIRES AND ALIGNMENT. CUSTOMER POSTPONED SERVICES AT THIS TIME. INTERNAL DEALER PAY.

JR