LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Battery Tender/Charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-12, 03:26 PM
snoylekim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender/Charger

Anyone use one on their LS460 ?? . Looking for suggestions for a good charger/tender .. Thanks and Happy New Year ..
Old 12-31-12, 03:36 PM
lsauto
Driver School Candidate

I use xtrme battery charger by pulse tech. I think it's very good, I have 4 of them.
Old 12-31-12, 03:49 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a Battery Tender Plus that I purchased from Amazon.com that quit working. It's under warranty, but not worth spending the money to ship it back. I'm now using a Yuasa battery charger that works much better. I keep a battery tender on my vehicle all the time. My LS 460 sits in my garage most of the time.
Old 12-31-12, 03:51 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

I'm using one right now since i never drive my 460
Old 01-01-13, 03:57 PM
DCexige
Driver School Candidate

I use the battery tender plus for a couple cars for years now. They work fine and are pretty cheap. I just bought a couple extra leads to hook up and leave in the cars so it's really easy to connect.
Old 01-01-13, 04:50 PM
snoylekim
Rookie

Thanks to all..searched through some older threads as well .. good choices to evaluate ..
Old 01-01-13, 11:42 PM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using optima's battery tender. With a quick connect harness that was made for electric vehicles. That way it is easy connect and disconnect without having to open the hood.
Old 01-06-13, 10:59 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the tenders you guys use have enough oomph so the battery won't discharge when all doors and trunk left open? My detailer shampooed my carpets and I wanted to let them dry so, I opened everything and put the car on a Sears (I think) battery tender. Batt was dead next morning. Tender went in the trash. So now what?
Old 01-07-13, 12:31 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Do the tenders you guys use have enough oomph so the battery won't discharge when all doors and trunk left open? My detailer shampooed my carpets and I wanted to let them dry so, I opened everything and put the car on a Sears (I think) battery tender. Batt was dead next morning. Tender went in the trash. So now what?
The Battery tender JR is not designed to provide enough current to run lights etc. it only puts out max of 0.75 amps (750 ma). A normal Lexus draws less than 50 ma with doors closed so with doors closed it does a great job of keeping the battery fully charged.

If you open the doors it is likely that a JR would not be able to keep up with the draw the lights etc suck out of the battery.

Even the Battery Tender Plus only puts out 1.25 amps and it also may not be able to keep up with the draw.

The way to check is to measure battery voltage after hooking up the Tender and checking it 10 minutes later. If second reading is less than the first it can't keep up. If I needed to let carpets dry and leave the doors open for many hours I'd pull the fuse that supplies the lights and verify via voltmeter that the Tender could keep up with the draw.

I've used a 24 volt maintainer version for years on expensive ($500) batteries in aircraft that were not flown frequently. They do a good job of keeping idle batteries topped off and ready to go and extend the useful life of these batteries.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 01-08-13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 01-07-13, 10:29 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, cap'n. Fuse pulling sounds good. Some idiot (not here) recommended I disconnect the battery - NOT a wise move in a Lexus!
Old 01-07-13, 10:46 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Your battery was likely depleted by the exterior lights staying on. The exterior lights are extinguished 30 seconds (or set timeout) after all doors/trunk are closed when the ignition is off. The interior lights automatically extinguish after 20 minutes, even if the door/trunk is open - the parasitic load is the same as with the doors and trunk closed. As long as the exterior lights are extinguished, you should be able to leave the doors/trunk open and expect that your battery would support a normal start even after several weeks. You can just wait for the exterior lights to go off or you can turn them off with the stem on the steering column.
Old 01-07-13, 05:19 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Your battery was likely depleted by the exterior lights staying on. The exterior lights are extinguished 30 seconds (or set timeout) after all doors/trunk are closed when the ignition is off. The interior lights automatically extinguish after 20 minutes, even if the door/trunk is open - the parasitic load is the same as with the doors and trunk closed. As long as the exterior lights are extinguished, you should be able to leave the doors/trunk open and expect that your battery would support a normal start even after several weeks. You can just wait for the exterior lights to go off or you can turn them off with the stem on the steering column.
I just tested my 2009 LS. I left the doors open and 1 hour and 15 minutes later I went into the garage. While the interior dome lights had turned off the curtesy lights on the lower part of the doors were still on as was the red door open figure on the dash. Those are what probably drained the battery. So it looks like the curtesy lights are not turned off with the 20 minute interior light timer and are directly connected to the door pin switches.

The good news is my car still started.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 01-08-13 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-08-13, 09:32 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
While the interior dome lights had turned off the curtesy lights on the lower part of the doors were still on as was the red door open figure on the dash.
Yup, those were the dirty bastards that got me! I also managed to run down the battery when first moving my music onto the hard disk drive (ML). At home, I put car into Accessory mode and kept loading up the changer with six CDs, then playing/recording them with volume off (maybe in Fast mode, I forget). After a few cycles, I went out to change CDs and everything was dark - not a good sign. Batt was dead and I needed another jump. Arrgh! At least we have iPod interfaces now.
Old 01-08-13, 09:43 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I use a cheap black and decker tender i got from target on my supra. Works pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-B.../dp/B0051D3MP6
Old 01-08-13, 09:17 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

walmart has the schumacher battery tender maintainer very good product totally automatic and its only 19 bux

Quick Reply: Battery Tender/Charger