LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 05:26 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What rotors?

Need to replace my front rotors...

Go with the factory Lex replacement or ??

Plan on going with Akebono ceramic pads
Old 12-26-12, 05:41 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm waiting on some custom rotors I bought from a vender here called Adam's Rotors,( not affiliated with them), but they have nothing but good reviews about them. They're about the same cost as oem replacements and the customer support has been great with them. Look them up in the vender marketplace, they have a lot of nice designs. I also have a pair of akebono pads that are gonna go on with them.
Old 12-26-12, 10:36 AM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
I'm waiting on some custom rotors I bought from a vender here called Adam's Rotors,( not affiliated with them), but they have nothing but good reviews about them. They're about the same cost as oem replacements and the customer support has been great with them. Look them up in the vender marketplace, they have a lot of nice designs. I also have a pair of akebono pads that are gonna go on with them.
thanks for the mention...

let us know what you need and have a look at our website!
Old 12-26-12, 11:57 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From something else I posted:

At any rate, the 2007 LS was a CPO with 18k that I got in Oct 2009.

Brakes were garbage from Day 1, causing whole car to shudder 80-65mph and 30-35mph. Turned downed rotors to take out warp, they re-warped in a week. Rotors replaced all four corners, warped again within 3 months. Turned and brake pads replaced, still shuddering. Finally, brake actuator went out and was replaced along with two new front rotors. (That's two sets of rotors in less than 45k miles and I drive like an old lady)
Old 12-26-12, 12:00 PM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ thanks for the input.

currently at 10,000 miles on this set.

replacing the rotors and pads, then the car is going on autotrader.
Old 12-28-12, 10:43 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are the adams rotors and ceramic pads that much superior to the OEM?
What would be the estimated cost for parts and labor?

I have never taken my lexus to anyplace but the dealer. Can these be installed by anyone? I have a 600 HL hybrids.. Risky to let normal shops work on the brakes?
I would not obviously take it to sears or Midas.. In fact, I am not even sure where to take it to, in Milwaukee..

How long do the original brake pads and rotos last?
Old 12-28-12, 10:54 AM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

a normal brake job is pretty simply, so ANY reputable shop should be able to handle the job.
...it shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours depending on the tools/facility...but I always try to stay away from dealer$.

they last as long as they last...it all depends on driving (braking) style of the driver, miles driven, and the pad used.

our rotors are OEM replacements, so there is only so much we can do to make them that much better.
but our double slotting in particular is VERY effective for heat dissipation, added bite, and glaze avoidance...the pads pair very well.
more importantly they look phenomenal, are zinc dipped, customizable, and made-to-order quality parts at an all-inclusive competitive price...that's really what it comes down to.
Old 12-28-12, 12:05 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you offer cryo treated?
Old 12-28-12, 12:26 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

^ we don't believe in it.
Old 12-28-12, 12:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought a set of the cryo rotors from brakeperformance.com and got screwed badly. The brakes would make this whirling noise when coming to a stop and the dealership checked twice and said all was installed the right way. When I called brake performance they said that the pads or rotors could be " too hard" for the LS application. All I know is that I bought the parts, payed to have them installed, then had to pay to have them removed and have the oem parts resurfaced. I never had an issue with Stoptech parts with my G35 so I was pretty surprised that something as simple as rotors could blow up in my face like it did
Old 12-28-12, 07:03 PM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

^ eh...I call BS, a non-related issue.
it's more likely the machining (the drilling in particular) that's causing that sound.

as posted in our FAQ's regarding our product.:

"do machined rotors create sound?"

keyword can...but it's just the dimpling/drilling. there is no reason the sound should be anything but mild...pleasant even. each application varies as rotor diameter/surface area changes, caliper size & pad contact differs, as do the compounds used in each brake pad. a bad bed, cheap pads, or an improper caliper/pad seating after install could cause something loud. drilling and more so dimpling is the culprit for anything other than a silent experience. air being trapped within the rotor's machining and two pad surfaces creates this, but again is nominal. slotting is the ideal for performance and the faint of ear, so if you are concerned, opt for any of our 4 slotted only patterns. the bedding process which should be completed immediately after install can drastically effect stopping power and the amount of sound; it's also an important part of prepping your new rotors. high speed tap braking and full 0-30 pulls to slam to stop, is key...(see break-in info above)
Old 12-29-12, 06:51 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
^ eh...I call BS, a non-related issue.
it's more likely the machining (the drilling in particular) that's causing that sound.

as posted in our FAQ's regarding our product.:
I want a quiet braking experience. I don't want any "mild or pleasant sound" due to drilling.. You also sell drilled discs.. Which one of your disc/rotor combo would give the most silent and factory brake system experience?

Last edited by lexus600hl; 12-29-12 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-29-12, 11:59 AM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

neither drilled or dimpled...as posted on that same page, slotting is both silent and actually effective.
we have a few slotted only options.

www.adamsrotors.com/info

please, have a look & read thru the page...
it has a list of options, reccomendations, and a ton more FAQ's for you!
thanks,
-a
Old 12-14-14, 09:15 AM
b8b
Rookie

Originally Posted by adamsrotors
neither drilled or dimpled...as posted on that same page, slotting is both silent and actually effective.
we have a few slotted only options.

www.adamsrotors.com/info
Any discounts for CL members?
Old 12-14-14, 10:30 AM
adamsrotors
Former Sponsor

our pricing is competitively set up for you guys as you're the only Lexus board we sponsor...but email us directly, we're known to make a deal.