LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Ls430 vs ls460

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 03:29 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ls430 vs ls460

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and the reason I am here is that I am considering trading my 2002 LS430 for a 2007 LS460. Was wondering if anyone has gone from a 430 to the 460 and how would you compare your experience. Comfort, drivability, smoothness, maintenance issues, maintenance costs etc. All replies greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
Harry
Old 12-19-12, 08:18 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I have owned a 04 430 and now a 07 460, It is all subjective and relative to the owner/ potential owner of the cars how they make them feel. I really love both gens what they bring to the table b/c they are two different animals in how they perform, look, and ride. I have given my 2 cents on this topic a lot and think some are too hard on the 460 b/c they spend so little time with the car, the engineering of the 460 is quite amazing and takes some time to soak it all in. It's amazing that a 4.6 L V8 can get the same MPG as a V6, the most I have gotten on the hwy heading to DE from Atl was over 28, city mix is 21/22 & city 18+/19+. I have truly enjoyed my ownership of both amazing cars and highly recommend them to anybody looking. I answer their pros /cons question which comes down to what they are looking for in a car and their driving.

we can get used to how nice these cars are to a point we get a little jaded, I felt like that after getting the 460 wondering why I did not have the same over whelming feeling like I did when moving from a 4Runner to the 430. Reason being I was already coming from a top shelf car in its own right that I loved and going to its successor did not seem like a giant leap. After a yr of ownership I have grown to appreciate how fantastic the 460 is while understanding just how fortunate/blessed to be able to have owned two outstanding machines! If you guys every go out to lunch with co-workers or ride with your friends who own non flagship cars or even you rent a car you will see just how fast you think Toto we are not in Kansas anymore! It brings you back to ignorance is bliss quickly; it’s a reminder just how great both gens are. Let me say it did not take me a yr to appreciate the 460 but it took more than a quick test drive to really grasp the progression of Lexus new vision for the LS. Believe it or not they are CL members here own both!

If any of you are interested in the design of the 460 check this out: http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lexus/2...60-ar1945.html
Old 12-20-12, 11:13 AM
escapedcon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same way, Tee. I forget what a top class car I drive until I get into our other car, the 2007 Camry.

it's just human nature to get used to things to the point that we do not realise what we have anymore.

another instance when I realise the kind of car I drive is when I take someone in for a ride and see their face expresion. priceless.

and to the OP's dilema, I always liked the 430 front end/grill but as far as everything else goes I think the 460 is superior design wise (exterior & interior)
cannot comment on ride or reliability. I have not owned or driven the 430 & I've owned the 460 for only a month and a half now.

Last edited by escapedcon; 12-20-12 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-27-12, 09:31 PM
2ManyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS460 Doesn't hold a candle against the LS430

I own both and have to say I prefer the LS430. While the LS460 has a modern look, yields more HP and fuel efficiency, it has poor FOV and is very noisy. After graduating to Lexus LS 430 from a Toyota Camry, I should have purchased two. Thinking the LS460 would be better, I purchased one in 2010. Separating the front grill from the hood was smart. Eliminating the problematic ML stereo was also an improvement. Brought it into Lexus numerous times to eliminate the engine noise which sounds like a diesel engine. Lexus said the noise is associated with the torque required to achieve the HP and fuel economy. Had I known the LS460 sounded like a diesel, I wouldn't have purchased it. Do yourself a big favor and buy an LS430. Alternatively, if you wait another year or so, Lexus should be coming out with an LS 490 which should address the many issues of the LS460. Good luck.
Old 12-28-12, 09:04 AM
waynedog
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

I have owned LS400, 430, and 460. 400 and 430 were flawless. Bought my 460 used but in excellent condition. 460 is more modern but basically the same features as 430. Overall, I prefer the 430 and here is why:

* 460 is much noisier, specifically the wind noise around the side windows. Much has been written about this and it is a very common problem. Very much detracts from driving experience. My 430 was very quiet.
* 460 dash creaks in cold weather, idle is rough at stop lights, rear defroster is very slow to work, etc which are all common problems.

If I could find a low mileage 430 I would rather have it but they are hard to find.
Old 12-28-12, 10:22 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have owned three ls 400s, two ls 430s, one 2007 ls 460l, and three 2008 ls 600 hls (still have two with me).

With all due respect to those who prefer the 430..

I find the 430 to be "floaty".. Recently, I drove a friend's 2001 430, with low mileage..
Yes, it might well be more quiet than the 460.. but the 460 is sufficiently quiet for me. Yes, there seem to be a slight wind noise for certain 460/600s. I admit that these cars should not have such a noise and am disappointed that Lexus has not done a recall fix on that..

Having said that, I feel that the 460 is a much superior car.. Not only to look at but also to drive.

The 1990 ls 400 was a car, ahead of its time. The 1995 was not as good. The 1998 400 was a noticeable improvement. The 430 was also good but again.. I felt it was "floating in the air".. I had owned them in circa 2000. At the same time, I had owned a 2000 S class.. The S class far far superior to drive but sluggisg compared to the 430.. The 430 is "quick".. but not exactly a driver's car. The 460 is not as floaty and in my opinion, a superior car..
Old 12-28-12, 12:44 PM
Bernster
Driver School Candidate

Buying an '08 LS 460 out of Atlanta area for $32K. Mint condition with 35K milesa. Is this a good deal?
Old 12-28-12, 01:13 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernster
Buying an '08 LS 460 out of Atlanta area for $32K. Mint condition with 35K milesa. Is this a good deal?
Need more info..options on car?? Autocheck and carfax report info?
Old 12-28-12, 01:13 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernster
I don't know the current market prices for the 08 460s but 35k mile car is pretty close to brand new in an LS - in my opinion!
Old 12-28-12, 01:54 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I sold my 2007 LS for that price this summer with over 60k miles...just be sure to get a presale inspection from a Lexus dealer and I would also have it checked by a repair facility to make sure the car is not frame damaged or anything. Get that autocheck and Carfax first..then go have it looked at...just sayin. Seems a bit too much on the low side of things. One way to see what these are selling for private party wise is researching completed ebay listings from across the country..it all depends on car history..options and mileage. Dont be blinded by low price..may be a reason for that lower price..may be just fine..but do your homework and understand the options it has or doesnt have. All LSs are not created equal
Old 06-18-13, 09:35 PM
jcp
Driver School Candidate

Which handles better and offers some driver involvement the 430 or 460?
Old 06-19-13, 04:41 AM
Tee

Originally Posted by jcp
Which handles better and offers some driver involvement the 430 or 460?
Defiantly the 460 will give you more road feedback, the 430 is pure isolation especially on 17's vs the stock 18's.
Old 06-19-13, 07:21 AM
jcp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tee
Defiantly the 460 will give you more road feedback, the 430 is pure isolation especially on 17's vs the stock 18's.
I appreciate the info.

I definitely prefer the more modern styling of the 460 and gadgets. However, is the 460 primarily a take it to the dealer type of car due to its complexity for maintenance and minor repairs? Or can the average home mechanic work on it to save a few dollars? Is the 430 a DIY car? I prefer not to see the dealer service department for maintenance if possible.

I've read threads and a fair amount of people say the 460 is not as bulletproof as the 430. Is this true or just the minority. I want the 460, but trouble free luxury motoring is preferred.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-13, 09:25 AM
Maurice
Driver

Originally Posted by jcp
I appreciate the info.

I definitely prefer the more modern styling of the 460 and gadgets. However, is the 460 primarily a take it to the dealer type of car due to its complexity for maintenance and minor repairs? Or can the average home mechanic work on it to save a few dollars? Is the 430 a DIY car? I prefer not to see the dealer service department for maintenance if possible.

I've read threads and a fair amount of people say the 460 is not as bulletproof as the 430. Is this true or just the minority. I want the 460, but trouble free luxury motoring is preferred.

Thanks!
I loved my 2004 LS430. Most reliable and silent car I have owned.
The 2007 LS460 experience made me leave the brand altogether in 2010. Nothing major, but the wind noise design flaw, Lexus diminishing service, and other small items and recalls that required dealer visits took away from the experience. The LS refreshes since 2007 have not impressed me. I will wait and see an LS model revamp in the next few years. I personally would not want to own an LS460, particularly one without factory warranty.
Old 06-19-13, 12:32 PM
Tee

Originally Posted by jcp
I appreciate the info.

I definitely prefer the more modern styling of the 460 and gadgets. However, is the 460 primarily a take it to the dealer type of car due to its complexity for maintenance and minor repairs? Or can the average home mechanic work on it to save a few dollars? Is the 430 a DIY car? I prefer not to see the dealer service department for maintenance if possible.!
The 460 maintenance is oil changes, spark plugs and air filters along with normal wear and tear items like tires and brakes. No timing belt to change, no tranny fluid changes like the 430, the 460 is a low maintenance car to own compared to the German lux sleds in the same class IMO. If you know your way around a car sure you can DIY without it being a headache.

Thanks !
The 460 is a sound car far as mechanical work, I did not have any major or minor issues with my SWB and it had over 140K before it was wrecked, she was running great! You should look into front control arms due to a redesign of the rubber bushings b/c the old ones wore out fast, valve spring recall done although it had a 0.02% chance of failing Lexus recalled the affected 460's, all other stuff was fit and finish. If you get A/S make sure they are not leaking, a member here has a fix for the wind noise issue that is easy to repair but you might have one that was fixed by the dealer with dual pane windows and seals. I have enjoyed owning both cars and like you I prefer the styling, gadgets, ride and engineering of the 460 over the 430. As you can see I bought another one, you will get a difference of opinion here based on what owners feelings are b/c it is subjective. Long as you do your HOMEWORK before buying you will be fine, there is plenty of info here to guide you and you can reach out (like now) for further assistance from the members here.

Quick Reply: Ls430 vs ls460