LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-15, 08:13 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

The installer should have used a liberal amount of grease during the install. It can still be done by injecting grease using a syringe..
Old 10-14-15, 02:07 PM
rezalon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Gents. Appreciate the advise. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-14-15, 05:23 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
Speaking to the extended warranty debate. I picked up a 4 year/48k miles warranty through my credit union that is essentially bumper to bumper. My LS is an 09 that has only 36k miles and has had 6 of the 8 control arms replaced at Lexus by the previous owner as well as the brake actuator replaced. I spent $2500 on my warranty and financed it with the car, at 1.89%.

Now granted, most of the big ticket items have been addressed on my car. I've got some savings but I'm still a relatively young guy with 2 young children and both my wife and I work full time. I'll be the first one to say that I paid for the extended warranty for peace of mind. No doubt these cars are reliable but they are also very expensive to fix if something goes wrong. My car is financed and I wanted to protect it. If I paid cash for it and/or paid it off, it would be different.

There seems to be less troubleshooting/fixing going on nowadays with mechanics, namely dealers, and more replacing and replacing components on the LS is expensive. Whether it's a mirror motor that breaks, door actuator, trunk closer, steering wheel heater, etc. None of these things will leave you stranded by the road but they will bug the hell out of you and affect the value of you car if and when you decide to sell. I'm pretty handy but just don't have the time right now to be a DIY or weekend warrior. It's worth $50/month to insure that someone else takes care of these issues at their expense and time. Granted, I've got to pay a deductible too but even still.
Sounds like you've made the right decision for yourself. I think when you are debating buying a warranty or not, it comes down to...does it make me feel good? If so its worth it.

For me the thought of an extended warranty makes me ill, so needless to say I'm on the other end of the spectrum regarding warranties, but it's all about what you're comfortable with.
Old 11-09-15, 02:54 PM
cna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rezalon
Thanks Gents. Appreciate the advise. Will let you know how it goes.
I am located in SF.... where did you go to get the job done?
I went to Lexus to get a alignment to fix the issue with the car steering to the left. I was told that I need new control arms on the front.
They said it would be $1000/per (parts and labor) and that the front 2 NEEDED to be changed and the back ones were showing signs of wear.
I have a 2007 LS460.

Can you please provide a link to the parts that you purchased?
Old 11-16-15, 09:21 PM
rezalon
Driver School Candidate

http://www.armstrongdistributors.com/

I got the job done at s & h auto on rosecrans ave in Hawthorne. It's a small family owned garage that I've been going to since I was in college (25 yrs). No showroom or free drinks but good old mechanics that'll get the job done at a reasonable price.

I still have the issue with the creaking new bushings and need to take back to get more grease put on. Just haven't had the time. Drove up to Berkeley a couple weeks ago and driving like a dream all the way up and back to SoCal.

Rear bushings were fine. Have your own mechanic check before you replace.
Old 11-17-15, 05:33 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rezalon
http://www.armstrongdistributors.com/

I got the job done at s & h auto on rosecrans ave in Hawthorne. It's a small family owned garage that I've been going to since I was in college (25 yrs). No showroom or free drinks but good old mechanics that'll get the job done at a reasonable price.

I still have the issue with the creaking new bushings and need to take back to get more grease put on. Just haven't had the time. Drove up to Berkeley a couple weeks ago and driving like a dream all the way up and back to SoCal.

Rear bushings were fine. Have your own mechanic check before you replace.
Great information! Thanks! No need to go via ebay route.. these guys can supply all the bushings needed for the LS? Nice!
Old 12-04-16, 12:10 PM
dwangyahoo
Driver School Candidate

Hi Everyone, I recently purchased a a 1-owner 2008 LS460 with 135000 miles. When I brake normally, it seems the steering sometimes pulls to the left, and sometimes it pulls to the right (and sometimes it doesn't pull). I've also noticed that sometimes it pulls just while driving straight...maybe due to the uneveness in the road. I haven't driven it much so I'm not confident on the pulling patterns. But in my old car over the same roads I didn't notice any pulling while driving or braking. According the vehicle history, the previous owner took this car to the dealer every 5000 miles ("...130K MILE SVC ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS A 130K MILE SERVICE ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUESTS A 130K MILE SERVICE ~ ~PERFORMED A 130K MILE SERVICE PER CUSTOMER'S REQUEST") I see services such as brake pads, differential oil, water pump, but nothing on the control arms. But from what I've read in this thread, it seems original bushings normally don't last that long. Oh, there is one entry in the history ("...Desc:FRONT AXLE ~ ~OWNER STATES ABNOIRMALLY STIFF/BUMPY RIDE FROM FT OVER UNEVEN SURFACES ~ ~TEST DRIVE FOR CUSTOMER CONCERN. INSPECT SUSPENSION AND STEERING LINKAGE. SET TIRE PRESSURES. INSPECTION SHOWS EVERYTHING IN GOOD CONDITION AND OPERATING PROPERLY. ~ ~NO RECOMMENDATIONS AT THIS TIME).
Old 12-04-16, 12:20 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

If you are not hearing any knocking from the suspension, when you hit a pot hole, you don't have a control arm issue. Be happy.. Don't worry.
On the drifting issue..
I have owned several lexus LS cars, since 1989.. All of them drift.. It is usually due to road condition.
I think BMW drifts the least!
Even a camry drifts less than a lexus..
My jaguar drifts!
As long as wheel alignment was done, you are ok.
Check your tires for uneven edge wear - if so, wheel alignment is necessary.. Typically, you should have the wheel alignment done every one to two years.. depending on your pot hole experience!

I don't know the answer to the drift while braking..

Last edited by lexus600hl; 12-05-16 at 08:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dwangyahoo (12-06-16)
Old 12-06-16, 05:28 AM
JJ3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought an 08 a few months ago with 130,000 miles on it. Car was in good shape for the price. Had my mechanic look over the car with me. Found out the upper control arm bushings were shot. I didn't have much clunking surprising but I'm saying that to say if the arms have never been replaced before then you will need them soon. I wanted to replace all of them so i dont have to worry about them later. I went to rockauto. I got 2 uppers for 100 bucks. Just some food for thought.
The following 2 users liked this post by JJ3:
dwangyahoo (12-06-16), lexus600hl (12-06-16)
Old 12-06-16, 06:12 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JJ3
I bought an 08 a few months ago with 130,000 miles on it. Car was in good shape for the price. Had my mechanic look over the car with me. Found out the upper control arm bushings were shot. I didn't have much clunking surprising but I'm saying that to say if the arms have never been replaced before then you will need them soon. I wanted to replace all of them so i dont have to worry about them later. I went to rockauto. I got 2 uppers for 100 bucks. Just some food for thought.
You can actually get upper control arms for $100? Nice! There was a thread about re-installing the plastic bushings.. I guess that is not needed anymore?
Old 12-06-16, 06:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
You can actually get upper control arms for $100? Nice! There was a thread about re-installing the plastic bushings.. I guess that is not needed anymore?
Yep. $36 each - here's a link: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...gle.ca+URL+%2F

I just ordered an entire front end of control arms from them for 520 bucks or so, inc 4 uppers, four lowers and 2 sway bar links. I think Lexus wanted $18,673.34 for them.
The following users liked this post:
GR6RR (12-06-16)
Old 12-06-16, 06:55 AM
JJ3
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I was surprised when I saw the pricing of the arms I needed compared to the oem arms. I haven't heard about the plastic bushings. I will check that thread out for sure. Is there a huge upside to the them versus the rubber bushings
Old 12-06-16, 08:28 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JJ3
Yeah I was surprised when I saw the pricing of the arms I needed compared to the oem arms. I haven't heard about the plastic bushings. I will check that thread out for sure. Is there a huge upside to the them versus the rubber bushings
It might be in the prior pages of this thread.. there was some info of plastic or rubber bushings which can be re-inserted into the control arms.. the bushings sold on ebay!
Old 12-06-16, 08:35 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yep. $36 each - here's a link: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...gle.ca+URL+%2F

I just ordered an entire front end of control arms from them for 520 bucks or so, inc 4 uppers, four lowers and 2 sway bar links. I think Lexus wanted $18,673.34 for them.
NICE! I assume these would work for a 2008 ls 600hl with - i think - air suspension also?
I can't believe Lexus is trying to rip off so badly!
After the $10,000 exhaust port fiasco - that has happening too often, I no longer believe that lexus is better than any other like priced brand!
With $18kl suspension repair estimate - Lexus should be ashamed of itself! It has turned out to be exactly like the companies it tried to outwit - mercedes/bmw
The lack of styling of the new LS and, in my opinion, the ugly spindle grill. and the - japanese cadillac style harsh edge lines and lights.. Lexus is ugly!
I am now a fan of Jaguar.. and Mercedes..
I have two Jaguars.. both 3/4 years old.. 40 k miles.. NOt a single problem.. Not even brakes for one of them.. I had the brakes changed anyway.. $50 for pads on amazon.. The discs were just fine.. Jaguar has been as reliable - probably more reliable than my LS cars! - so far!
Old 12-06-16, 03:41 PM
JJ3
Driver School Candidate

NICE! I assume these would work for a 2008 ls 600hl with - i think - air suspension also?
I can't believe Lexus is trying to rip off so badly!
After the $10,000 exhaust port fiasco - that has happening too often, I no longer believe that lexus is better than any other like priced brand!
With $18kl suspension repair estimate - Lexus should be ashamed of itself! It has turned out to be exactly like the companies it tried to outwit - mercedes/bmw
The lack of styling of the new LS and, in my opinion, the ugly spindle grill. and the - japanese cadillac style harsh edge lines and lights.. Lexus is ugly!
I am now a fan of Jaguar.. and Mercedes..
I have two Jaguars.. both 3/4 years old.. 40 k miles.. NOt a single problem.. Not even brakes for one of them.. I had the brakes changed anyway.. $50 for pads on amazon.. The discs were just fine.. Jaguar has been as reliable - probably more reliable than my LS cars! - so far!
Wow! You have two LS600hl?? Not to mention a Jag and a Benz. Lol. Thats awesome. Yeah my dad doesn't like the new Lexus styling. He has a 2011 LS460L which is the body style he likes since he started with the original LS400. It kept that classic grille style that most people I have spoken to like over the new style. I would really like to drive a LS600hl to see how different it drives.

Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms