LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone take their LS460 to a Toyota dealership for oil changes ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-12, 01:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Anyone take their LS460 to a Toyota dealership for oil changes ??

Hey guys, I was wondering if any member take their cars to Toyota for oil changes. How was the service? Any issues with filters or turning off the service lights on the dash? I hate the two Lexus dealership around me and have been going to Scottsdale but to avoid driving 25 miles for oil changes I was thinking to take it to a local private shop but I feel like I would still trust a Toyota tech over a guy who works on everything. When I called the gentleman on the phone said it was no issue at all. Just wondering if anyone else has done this

Thanks
Old 11-07-12, 03:49 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I would, it will probably save you a few bucks too. I've recommended friends go to the Toyota dealer for timing belt changes and they did a good job and saved them hundreds!
Old 11-07-12, 04:15 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

i've been doing this for the last 10 years on different lexus vehicles that I have owned and have never had a problem. It typically costs me $60 for the LS.
Old 11-07-12, 08:48 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I take my LS to Toyota for oil changes too. Also about $60.00 for full synthetic
Old 11-08-12, 10:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

do you guys take your own filters or are the oil filters for the Lexus and Toyota V8s the same part number?? Thanks for your help guys. This is going to save me a lot of time. If I have an issue with the car I will take it in to the dealership but for something as simple as oil it will be much much more convenient to take down the street to the local Toyota crew
Old 11-08-12, 01:51 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Some folks have had success, others (like me) had issues. I saved myself any grief by asking questions. when they insisted my LS460 required 5 quarts, I left!

Here are some other discussions about this topic
https://www.google.com/search?q=LS46...w=1843&bih=812
Old 11-08-12, 02:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

CJITTY how much oil does the LS take?? I will buy the oem filters from the dealership and the oil if needed. What weight oil does Lexus recommend?? 5w20 or 0w20??? and how many quarts is required?
Old 11-09-12, 04:03 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
CJITTY how much oil does the LS take?? I will buy the oem filters from the dealership and the oil if needed. What weight oil does Lexus recommend?? 5w20 or 0w20??? and how many quarts is required?
Lexus filters are Toyota filters and thus, your Toyota dealer will have the correct filter in stock. The part number for the filter is 04152-YZZA5. Regarding oil, the manual states: "SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 motor oil may be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for fuel economy, and good starting in cold weather." The Toyota dealer will have the same oil that your Lexus dealer has. Your engine requires 9.1 quarts of oil.
Old 11-09-12, 09:34 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
Lexus filters are Toyota filters and thus, your Toyota dealer will have the correct filter in stock. The part number for the filter is 04152-YZZA5. Regarding oil, the manual states: "SAE 5W-20 or 0W-20 motor oil may be used. However, SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for fuel economy, and good starting in cold weather." The Toyota dealer will have the same oil that your Lexus dealer has. Your engine requires 9.1 quarts of oil.
Thank you silverpaws. Thats very cool of you to get me that info. I appreciate it. Looks like I will be doing oil at Toyota down the street.
Old 11-09-12, 02:13 PM
mishutka
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, and successfully so.
For 83 bucks all 9 quartz of synthetic 0-20 plus the filter.
I think they made on me about 5 bucks or so ($7 oil X 9 quarts plus filter and env disposal fees, taxes).
Very happy with the service - just make sure you book the first appointment of the day - Toyota is understaffed in comparo with Lexus - and you are out in one hour or less.
I wonder whether I can give them a brake job, didn't decide if it is a good idea.

Good luck.
Old 11-11-12, 07:10 PM
Haole702
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yuuuuuuup $39.99 !!! It took 15 minutes for a Rep' to welcome me. I talked to the key-boy the whole time and came to the conclusion that that's the $60 difference between them and Lexus. But I wasn't there to shoot the ish. Took 45 minutes.
Old 11-11-12, 07:45 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Haole702
yuuuuuuup $39.99 !!! It took 15 minutes for a Rep' to welcome me. I talked to the key-boy the whole time and came to the conclusion that that's the $60 difference between them and Lexus. But I wasn't there to shoot the ish. Took 45 minutes.

$39.99 seems real cheap.

Was that for 9.1 qts of Toyota 0W20 synthetic, Toyota filter and gasket?

I would think that material cost alone would exceed $39.99

JR
Old 11-11-12, 08:56 PM
pearlLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It takes 9.2 quarts. Use 5-20 unless you're in a very cold area.

I don't see how the guy commenting above can get 9 quarts of synthetic and the change for $60.

I always do my own change.....it's straight forward except for the special tool you need to take off the filter.
Old 07-09-13, 02:30 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil Changes At Toyota Dealerships

Originally Posted by pearlLS460
It takes 9.2 quarts. Use 5-20 unless you're in a very cold area.

I don't see how the guy commenting above can get 9 quarts of synthetic and the change for $60.

I always do my own change.....it's straight forward except for the special tool you need to take off the filter.
I had a Lexus Dealership senior diagnostician (sp.?) tell me he would trust ANY Toyota Dealership to do my oil change on my 2009 LS-460. The dealership wanted $129.95. I called the nearest Toyota Dealership, asked for the Service Manager and laid it out. I wanted to know if they were familar with the LS-460, the large amount of oil it takes, and the filter not being a "spin on" disposable filter. He assured me they do LS-460's regularly and they knew all about them. My neighbor, who works for Lexus, told me to ALWAYS go with 0-20 weight oil.

I took my car in to Toyota since they charge $69.95 instead of $129.95 for the same service. I thought we had it all straight, as I explained to the oil change department manager how much oil it took, not a disposable filter, etc. I was in and out quickly. I DID NOT dip-stick my oil which was MY mistake. I drove the car on about a 1,000 mile trip and had a "Vision" I needed to check my oil. It was down to the ADD level. I took it back to Toyota and they "GAVE" me anothe quart of 0-20 Toyota Oil to "top it of." They charged me for 7 quartss of oil at the time of service. I see now it holds 9.1 quarts. I'm not unhappy with them, but from now on I'll dip-stick the oil before I leave their service drive. That was for PURE SYNTHETIC 0-20W oil, which my neighbor says to use. I have also been advised to NOT go 10,000 miles between changes just because you can. I've been advised to do 5,000-6,000 MIles and change it again. At half the price Lexus charges, that's reasonalble.

I had a noise in the front of my car recently after having it aligned and my FRIEND, for whatever reason, opened the oil filter door and found the Toyota Technician had left a oil filter wrench on my filtter. My friend's gain, Toyota Tech's loss.

As for me, I will continue to go to Toyota to get my oil changes done. BUT, I will make sure they know how many quarts I expect and dip-stick it before I leave.

That's half-price of Lexus, so we can afford to have it done more often.

Good luck,

Carnut

Forgot to say, Toyota gives a free car wash with all oil changes. :-)

Last edited by Carnut; 07-09-13 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Omission
Old 07-09-13, 04:03 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Curious...what about having Toyota do the tuneup on the LS? Anyone ever try that?

Quick Reply: Anyone take their LS460 to a Toyota dealership for oil changes ??