LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Looking for an after market starting battery for ls 600hl

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 09:27 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

So I am wondering about my 12v battery health. I wonder if that battery is low, does the hybrid battery pack somehow supplement vehicle accessory power? I have noticed a few times that after driving the car and parking over night that the traction battery bar graph is down to about 2 bars on my display the next day. I would think it would hold a charge longer than 12 hours to where it wasn't all the way down at startup. I also notice that when I go through a car wash and the car is neutral for a few minutes, I get the "TRACTION BATTERY LOW" warning to put the car in park or drive so the engine can charge the hybrid battery back up.
Old 09-16-13, 11:15 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
So I am wondering about my 12v battery health. I wonder if that battery is low, does the hybrid battery pack somehow supplement vehicle accessory power? I have noticed a few times that after driving the car and parking over night that the traction battery bar graph is down to about 2 bars on my display the next day. I would think it would hold a charge longer than 12 hours to where it wasn't all the way down at startup. I also notice that when I go through a car wash and the car is neutral for a few minutes, I get the "TRACTION BATTERY LOW" warning to put the car in park or drive so the engine can charge the hybrid battery back up.
Car wash? Buying holograms, LOL

Traction battery charges the battery in READY mode (only). As the capacity of both is quite different I don't understand why it goes to LOW. Are you sure you wash the car?
Old 09-19-13, 10:55 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take it to sears and replace it $200 is a small investment in my opinion for some peace of mind.
Old 09-20-13, 03:54 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by LXurious

Take it to sears and replace it $200 is a small investment in my opinion for some peace of mind.
Bruh, you never answered the question about that third wire that we really need an answer on. Can your Sears tech give you some more insight? If you recall, another 600 member asked you but I don't think we ever heard back. Your tech may have hooked it up but that may not be the case nationwide. Throw us a bone my dude

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 09-29-13, 08:30 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Bump... further news?
Old 09-30-13, 03:32 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
Bump... further news?
Imma send dude a PM

Old 10-04-13, 12:15 PM
LXurious
Advanced

I didnt see any third wire and I dont know which specific tech installed my battery to ask him. I saw my Neg. which was grounded my postitive and then a bunch of wires associated with my sound system. Any pics of this 3rd wire??
Old 10-05-13, 08:57 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I didnt see any third wire and I dont know which specific tech installed my battery to ask him. I saw my Neg. which was grounded my postitive and then a bunch of wires associated with my sound system. Any pics of this 3rd wire??
cjityy - you can give him a picture of the 3rd wire. I am just getting a Lexus battery installed for $400 next week. Btw, I did go to Sears and they had no clue about what to do with the 3rd wire. They suggested I should go back to the dealer.
Old 10-05-13, 09:31 AM
CJITTY

If you didn't notice it..it must not be there to be honest. Its a simple wire with connector that is pretty obvious. I'll see if I can get a pic today when I clean my trunk

Old 10-05-13, 09:31 AM
CJITTY

cjityy - you can give him a picture of the 3rd wire. I am just getting a Lexus battery installed for $400 next week. Btw, I did go to Sears and they had no clue about what to do with the 3rd wire. They suggested I should go back to the dealer.
$400 out the door? Not terrible. What signs do you have that it's going bad though?

Old 10-07-13, 04:52 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

$400 out the door? Not terrible. What signs do you have that it's going bad though?

There are no signs that it is going bad. In fact the dealer said that the test shows that the battery is fine. How ever, since it is 5 years old, I am having it replaced. I don't want to take the risk.. Its only $400 and I certainly don't want to jump start the car in Wisconsin winter at ANY time..
Typically, I leased the cars and returned them in 3 years. After many years, I have a 5 year old car, which might go to 8 year old or even longer..

Back to battery.. as I wrote in preceding, disconnecting 3rd wire causes warning lamps to go on! I don't know how so many people are using optoma, die hard etc. batteries!
Old 10-07-13, 06:02 AM
CJITTY

There are no signs that it is going bad. In fact the dealer said that the test shows that the battery is fine. How ever, since it is 5 years old, I am having it replaced. I don't want to take the risk.. Its only $400 and I certainly don't want to jump start the car in Wisconsin winter at ANY time..
Typically, I leased the cars and returned them in 3 years. After many years, I have a 5 year old car, which might go to 8 year old or even longer..

Back to battery.. as I wrote in preceding, disconnecting 3rd wire causes warning lamps to go on! I don't know how so many people are using optoma, die hard etc. batteries!
They must be using some type of loop back to continue continuity or something...I think our battery doesn't have as much stress as other batteries in the engine bay or on a standard gasoline only system. No heat stress being in the trunk (compared to engine being next to it, the startup is always electrical only which then fires off the gas if the traction battery is too low. I'm not paying $400 until it starts to show signs, I can use that money for other things, but then again..since you own two of these like it's nothing, probably nothing but a thing for you lol
Old 10-10-13, 04:04 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

They must be using some type of loop back to continue continuity or something...I think our battery doesn't have as much stress as other batteries in the engine bay or on a standard gasoline only system. No heat stress being in the trunk (compared to engine being next to it, the startup is always electrical only which then fires off the gas if the traction battery is too low. I'm not paying $400 until it starts to show signs, I can use that money for other things, but then again..since you own two of these like it's nothing, probably nothing but a thing for you lol
Its not a nothing for me but I had it changed anyway.. Around $480, including installation and taxes. $390 for battery, $60 installation.
I sold my 2nd 600h. I have only one now. I replaced the other one with a Jaguar xjl. The xjl is absolutely stunning.. It is very eye catching and has an amazing curb appeal..

Back to the 600h, I live in Milwaukee..
You are probably correct.. Battery might last 6 or 7 years.. but.. The way I saw it, I think I would probably keep the car for another 4 years easy.. I have to change it anyway, probably as soon as next year.. So, might as well change it now.. and not worry about a bad winter. This battery will last till the end of life (with me) of this car. I hope you will work with lxurious to help him find the 3rd wire in his car. He is the only person who has successfullly installed the after market battery.. It would be very useful information to others, as these cars get older..

Last edited by lexus600hl; 10-10-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-11-13, 01:27 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Yea I'd like to help out anyway I can someone just upload a pic with the 3rd wire circled or pointed out. My aftermarket sound has a few extra wires that kinda confuse me. But both were installed professionally so I wouldnt have first hand knowledge.
Old 10-22-13, 03:27 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

According to the other Rx and Prius hybrid forums, they have installed a standard battery that matches size and terminal position of the starter battery with no problem. In fact, one user installed a Optima Yellow Top battery which is a deep cycle gel battery that allows greater capacity to run accessories while the car is off. They are used by many with amps and stereo setups. The hybrid system uses the inverter to convert the high power down to 12 volts that provides the charge back to the battery in the trunk. So, with that said, I plan on doing the Optima Red Top or Yellow top when it is time for me to change mine. I found all that out by taking some time on google and researching posts by actual people who have done it. And even the Yellow Top battery is much cheaper than the factory battery which appears to be nothing more than a standard 12v battery found in cars, just perhaps a smaller form factor to fit in the trunk
Do the RX or the Prius have the 3rd wire? I am not sure but I think the 3rd wire is for the temperature sensor - the sensor being inside the panasonic battery.
So.. What do you plan to do with the 3rd wire? My lexus dealer installed the Interstate battery. Warning lights came on the dash (forgot which ones). They had to remove the interstate battery. I also tried disconnecting the third wire (while keeping the panasonic battery in place). I got warning lights (forgot which ones). They went away only after I reconnected the 3rd wire and after I disconnected and reconnected the panasonic battery.
I sent the picture of the 3rd wire to lxurious.. Hopefully, he will come back with the answer.
As for me, I have already changed my battery with a factory panasonic (i think it was around $500 including installation).. I am continuing this thread only for public interest.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 10-22-13 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for an after market starting battery for ls 600hl