LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

It finally happened to me...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 02:40 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down It finally happened to me...

Yep, I bent a wheel

Was taking a few people out to dinner travelling 70mph on I95 and "BAM", what seemed like a pot hole, but I'm speculating that it might of been a large rock. Car started thumping violently and the car was screaming at me with lights and beeps. Pulled into the 1st exit and parked in a church parking lot to see WTH happened. At first it just looked like a flat tire, but after getting the wheel off I found a huge dent on the inner wheel. On top of that I couldn't initially find my wheel lock because the dealer hid it in a different place that I usually keep it, AND my battery died on me as well. At this point I was really trying to stay positive, but was a little hot tempered too. Oh, and the trunk didn't feel like opening as well for some reason after the car was jumped. I woke up the next morning to go swap out the wheels to oem and I find trunk open and the battery dead again... just more headaches after another, but still kept positive. Took a few hours for my fat self to swap out the wheels, (was really wishing I had an air compressor, would of saved so much time and energy). So after cleaning the car up, putting some air in the tires and going for a short drive in the morning I came back and looked at the car and just went blehh; Stock wheels made me cringe. The thing I need to address now is to get more sidewall for the front tires that stand up to the load rating that is recommended.

So I'm waiting to see If I can buy a replacement wheel from Vossen, or if I should repair the wheel itself. I'm not knowledgeable about fixing wheels or anything, so I don't know if this is repairable or not. Would appreciate your guys' suggestion on what I should do next. I don't know if I want to go with a new setup or not, but I'm going to wait until I fix the Vossen wheel issue. I definitely know now that I'm going to be getting coilovers for the car next though. Most likely going to with Starke Racing SS, but that's another discussion on its own . Hopefully get those before the wheel is replaced or fixed. In the meantime Iv'e been having fun with the cutouts although I still need to address a leak in one of them not closing all the way. Still fun to see peoples reactions lol.

So here's the damage! Open to suggestions and advice!

BTW tire pressure was at 41PSI when it happened if you're wondering.

The back driver wheel took some scraping as well...

Last edited by adamls2; 08-26-12 at 02:47 AM.
Old 08-26-12, 06:42 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a new one, Life goes on.

It's great how, when you have a violently shaking car, they contribute to your problems by having a bunch of lights and buzzers go off!
Old 08-26-12, 07:46 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can pound that back with a mallet
Old 08-26-12, 10:09 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I feel your pain Adam! I'm riding on my stocks to due to my driver side tire separated on me last weekend. I was on my way to discount tires to get all of them balanced, glad I was not on the hwy and that I have the tire replacement deal so waiting on some new tires now. I can't stand the stock 18's yuck!
Old 08-26-12, 10:12 AM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn kid! I hate when that happens! Been there and done that before and it's a pain in the ***. Good thing you still had your stock wheels as a standby. Is the tire still good?
Old 08-26-12, 10:30 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow nasty little bump u got there, do you live north or south of central FL? Because I know a great bent rim repair shop in Orlando who can fix that thing the same day.
Old 08-26-12, 12:54 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Omg..as a fellow CV1er...my heart hurts right now. I think it can be repaires for under $200..a place around here called Metro Wheels repairs wheels for about $150-$200 iirc. New Vossen 22 wheel will run about $550 to $650 (MSRP)..as much as I love my 22s..sometimes I contemplate going to a full face 5 spoke 20" and call it a day..always nervous driving around.

Sorry this tragedy occurred man..it appears to be fixable though..it will work out. It could be worse..you could of crashed or lost control at that speed..thankfully you all are good minus a wheel that got MMA'd
Old 08-26-12, 01:09 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to see Adam of course let me know how we can be of assistance!
Old 08-26-12, 03:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

really sorry to hear it. I would change up to a 255/30/22 but in the end with a hit that hard even a 265/30 or bigger probably would have not been enough
Old 08-26-12, 07:47 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

does matter what size tire hitting a rock doing highway speeds will have similiar results. can be fixed, i know the feeling. good luck though
Old 08-27-12, 06:59 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Thanks everyone for commenting!

Originally Posted by FrankyBoy
Damn kid! I hate when that happens! Been there and done that before and it's a pain in the ***. Good thing you still had your stock wheels as a standby. Is the tire still good?
I'm not completely sure, but it seems to have a little piece of the sidewall cut. Most likely it is shot
Originally Posted by SBlexus
Wow nasty little bump u got there, do you live north or south of central FL? Because I know a great bent rim repair shop in Orlando who can fix that thing the same day.
I live in Jacksonville, but I'm willing to drive to Orlando to go to a trusted wheel repair shop. If you can please PM me their info. Thanks!
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
really sorry to hear it. I would change up to a 255/30/22 but in the end with a hit that hard even a 265/30 or bigger probably would have not been enough
I'm definitely going to go with a bigger tire when they go back on. I really want to run 265's with DWS and I'm thinking maybe a spacer in the front can fix the problem of it hitting the inner arms.

One thing though, I'm definitely going to be shaving/rolling the fenders, and getting coilovers soon hopefully. So i'm going to try to come back better than before

Last edited by adamls2; 08-27-12 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-27-12, 07:00 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
Sorry to see Adam of course let me know how we can be of assistance!
Pm'ed you Mike! Just need to see what a replacement wheel would cost.
Old 08-27-12, 04:31 PM
CJITTY

I'm going 265/30/22 all the way around once mine wear down..they fit the 10.5" just fine..Frankyboy will confirm. The 265s will clear by a credit card if you have the 35mm CV1 like I do...the newer produced CV1s are 30mm..so you will be pigeoned toed if you get a newer produced CV1 on one side and 35mm on other..
Old 08-27-12, 04:36 PM
CJITTY

Forgot to add..it seems like really hard bumps make the 265s slightly graze the control arm if you are on 35mm offset CV1s..metal and rubber aint good..but a 2-3mm spacer will probably work. I'm just leery of spacers..some horror stories out there but I know if done right they work fine..just make sure they are hub centric.
Old 08-27-12, 05:10 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it can be fixed, but for the price of vossens you can probably just buy a new one

Quick Reply: It finally happened to me...