LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 11:52 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
i wonder if there's a fuse you can pull and poof! No more air suspension error code
in my understanding, that's how the LS430 (UCF30) guys can swap to coilovers.
Old 07-04-12, 12:08 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Biggie referenced a bullet proof LX 4 and a half (50) speaking about the flagship SUV from the 90s. Had he actually rapped about his real life and had one maybe he would still be making music and pushing a LX 570. And 2 chainz might be eluding to the LS450h that is speculated to replace the LS600hL???

Anyways back to the topic I dont really understand how the skipper links works?
Old 07-04-12, 01:34 AM
lei_z_ass
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

after much research and questioning a air suspension guru. His opinion was after market air is better. He has a LS 430 UL which he originally went with the data systems. But after a few months he felt that air runners had a better all around. It was his expert opinion on factory air vs after market air that sold me on buying after market air. After market air with a good ride height management will provide more than the factory air suspension can do imho.
Old 07-04-12, 10:42 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lei_z_ass
after much research and questioning a air suspension guru. His opinion was after market air is better. He has a LS 430 UL which he originally went with the data systems. But after a few months he felt that air runners had a better all around. It was his expert opinion on factory air vs after market air that sold me on buying after market air. After market air with a good ride height management will provide more than the factory air suspension can do imho.
While I agree with you 100%, this thread really isn't a debate between factory suspension versus aftermarket air suspension.

For those LWB LS460s with OEM equipped air suspension, not removing it properly will throw engine codes. If you're fine with that, then by all means, yes, replacing the oem system with an aftermarket set up would be superior in regards to control, adjustability and longevity.
Old 07-04-12, 03:07 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

HHmmm...so why is a rapper in 2012 still singing about one? Seems like they are not into 15 year old rides.

The links work very simply - they change the reference point that the computer uses to establish what is the 'normal' ride height. I haven't crawled under my car to look at them but I'd guess they are X inches long - maybe 3 or 4 - and if you increase or decrease their length you will change the ride height.
Old 07-04-12, 03:47 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

How hard are the skipper links to install?
Old 07-04-12, 05:18 PM
GregCon
Driver

My guess is they have one bolt at each end. That's how my Dodge truck was. I'll look at mine next time I get under the car. If I'm right, you could make them yourself out of just about anything like aluminum.
Old 07-04-12, 05:37 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by GregCon
My guess is they have one bolt at each end. That's how my Dodge truck was. I'll look at mine next time I get under the car. If I'm right, you could make them yourself out of just about anything like aluminum.
Interesting..I have access to a lift so if it something I can do without taking the suspension apart I may consider that. I'm actually cool with just removing the fender gap just enough and be OK with that by itself. The data systems module is just an awesome mod and I can see just lowering one or two positions as my daily driving position. I would also like to go to my alignment shop and get the alignment dialed in..then set the module one position lower to see if they can keep the car within specs..once it drops out of range..I'll know where I can keep the height and not worry about tire wear. I'm guessing there is little to no leeway in this area..so maybe that would be a waste of time messing with it on the rack
Old 07-04-12, 06:16 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
How hard are the skipper links to install?
Here's what i searched. www.google.jp and do an image search on skipper lower link
Old 07-04-12, 06:59 PM
GregCon
Driver

That's what I figured it would look like. Note the range of adjustment is pretty good since they are threaded spherical rod ends. You can buy those in stainless steel pretty cheap and the female threaded rod can also be made up easily.
Old 07-05-12, 05:44 AM
verneyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension

I have the prestige module fitted , I like to use it a driving hight and then parking just on the tire line
I noticed it is definitely not as smooth a ride now. I can't see how this could be done but for someone
Like me who wants the car standard for the best ride and just one setting for photo shoots ect
It would be great if you could change between the cars module and the prestige one

Any one any brain waves on how that could be done????????
Old 07-05-12, 05:50 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by verneyboy
I have the prestige module fitted , I like to use it a driving hight and then parking just on the tire line
I noticed it is definitely not as smooth a ride now. I can't see how this could be done but for someone
Like me who wants the car standard for the best ride and just one setting for photo shoots ect
It would be great if you could change between the cars module and the prestige one

What year do you have and how many miles are on the car? Is it just normal wear and tear, especially if you drive normal? Don't the struts go bad over time anyway?
Old 07-05-12, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Interesting..I have access to a lift so if it something I can do without taking the suspension apart I may consider that. I'm actually cool with just removing the fender gap just enough and be OK with that by itself. The data systems module is just an awesome mod and I can see just lowering one or two positions as my daily driving position. I would also like to go to my alignment shop and get the alignment dialed in..then set the module one position lower to see if they can keep the car within specs..once it drops out of range..I'll know where I can keep the height and not worry about tire wear. I'm guessing there is little to no leeway in this area..so maybe that would be a waste of time messing with it on the rack
sounds like you are trading up to a ls460 with air?
Old 07-05-12, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by verneyboy

when a car is lowered ride is suffered, that's just simple physics and no way around it, because the shock traveling is shortened thus the ride affected (otherwise you bottom out like no tomorrow)

with the air controller, if you 1 memory to "0" on all corners, that's factory height and the right is exactly factory
Old 07-05-12, 08:56 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by rominl
sounds like you are trading up to a ls460 with air?
Yessurr..I have a discussion going in my build thread

Quick Reply: Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here