LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-12, 02:25 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
"The raising/lowering of the factory A/S will definitely have wear and tear on the ride comfort and inevitably strut longevity. The car was not meant to be raised and lowered frequently"

I'm not sure I buy this.

1) There is no warning in the manual telling owners to limit their use of this feature

2) Since, I believe, the system is air actuated there is no particular reason I can think of that exercising it would cause undue wear.

Do you have further evidence of that point?
Hmm, maybe my statement was misconstrued. My statement was made to address specifically those who drive around on lowered cars whether it be with the Datasystems/Lowing Links in addition to raising/lowering their cars at shows etc. From the mileage I have driven in my car, I can already tell there is a deterioration of ride comfort from riding around as low as I do, so there is definitely an inevitable wear/tear to this item.
Old 07-02-12, 02:49 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only time I thought the height feature was of any practical value was in conjunction with the AWD; being able to raise the car in snow - admittedly it does not raise it that much but it does help to reduce drag on the under-carriage
Old 07-02-12, 03:02 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Hmm, maybe my statement was misconstrued. My statement was made to address specifically those who drive around on lowered cars whether it be with the Datasystems/Lowing Links in addition to raising/lowering their cars at shows etc. From the mileage I have driven in my car, I can already tell there is a deterioration of ride comfort from riding around as low as I do, so there is definitely an inevitable wear/tear to this item.
Now that I have sold my SWB non air, I am on the hunt for my new LWB with air. trying to figure all this stuff out, but I do know i will commute daily on a lower level that is within the boundary for good tire alignment specs to avoid inner wear, even with good toe, the camber still can cause some issues on inner wear...road trips will go to stock height for sure..i just think having the option is awesome!

So, what is causing the wear...seals inside the struts dealing with added stress or is it the air suspension pumps not being able to generate air or what exactly starts breaking down to create the issue..def want to learn more
Old 07-02-12, 03:53 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Now that I have sold my SWB non air, I am on the hunt for my new LWB with air. trying to figure all this stuff out, but I do know i will commute daily on a lower level that is within the boundary for good tire alignment specs to avoid inner wear, even with good toe, the camber still can cause some issues on inner wear...road trips will go to stock height for sure..i just think having the option is awesome!

So, what is causing the wear...seals inside the struts dealing with added stress or is it the air suspension pumps not being able to generate air or what exactly starts breaking down to create the issue..def want to learn more
I've seen a few threads about people burning out air suspension compressors, so I think constant lowering and raising will cause issues.

I think the longevity is dictated by shock life -- the actual airbags have metal sheathing protecting them. The shock and the air bag aren't designed to be separated so when your shock blows from running your car outside of its specified design height (either higher than normal or lower than normal) you will have to replace the entire assembly.

If you drive your car very low and never raise it using the controller (which is what I do) the physical bag and compressor will be OK but the shock may blow prematurely.
Old 07-02-12, 03:55 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry if my previous reply makes no sense -- I'm posting from an iPhone and CL doesn't have tapatalk
Old 07-02-12, 06:28 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard several songs in which the "LS450" is mentioned.....exactly what vehicle would that be? Or is this another case of rappers being mathematically challenged?
Old 07-02-12, 06:45 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you own a LWB, your only option to suspension is Data Controller, Skipper lowering link or after market air. There are no coilover for a LWB...correct if I'm wrong.

For those who don't want to spend $4-$5k for after market air, the Data System and Skipper lowering link is the best option and cheapest option to get the desire stance.

Who is it good for?
Someone like me, who could not afford after market air two years ago but love the stance that the Data System allows. I don't care if the OEM air goes bad cause ultimately, I want after market air. I've been running low with the Data System for over two years now and do not see a difference in ride quality. MY opinion...

Someone like CJITTY will enjoy this set up as well since he will be riding stock height and tuck/slam the LS when park for show/gathering.

Who is it not good for?
Someone with no warranty...I heard on the LS430, each corner cost over a $1k to repair. I am assuming the LS460 will cost more.

Also, I've had people ride in the LS with no finger gap and could not feel that the car is lowered. It's super comfortable. Again...my opinion.

I'm waiting for Henry (rominl) to chime in as he has experience in the Data Controller.
Old 07-02-12, 07:00 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
If you own a LWB, your only option to suspension is Data Controller, Skipper lowering link or after market air. There are no coilover for a LWB...correct if I'm wrong.
All the coilovers will work for swb and lwb cars. It all mounts the same.
Old 07-03-12, 12:52 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lbintab
All the coilovers will work for swb and lwb cars. It all mounts the same.
yes, the reason why you wouldn't just toss the air sus for coilovers is because nobody's experimented and found a way to disable the factory air suspension system. the assumption is that your gauge cluster will become a christmas tree
Old 07-03-12, 06:05 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

This a great thread!

You guys answerd a lot of questions I always wanted to know about the OEM A/S with after market lowering systems. Lots of great info in here, PROPS/ thx to all the owners with A/S sharing their thoughts and real world experiences.
Old 07-03-12, 06:50 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cheez80
yes, the reason why you wouldn't just toss the air sus for coilovers is because nobody's experimented and found a way to disable the factory air suspension system. the assumption is that your gauge cluster will become a christmas tree
I thought I read this somewhere. There was another member saying he removed the OEM air and used coilover. He disappeared after stating it was doable and never provided any updates.
Old 07-03-12, 07:17 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
I thought I read this somewhere. There was another member saying he removed the OEM air and used coilover. He disappeared after stating it was doable and never provided any updates.
IIRC, it was a lady talking about her boyfriend's LS460 on Air with the 26" wheels..one or two of the suspension components failed or something..she wondered if they could swap out to coils instead of getting new air...it was a show car. They probably should of just upgraded to aftermarket air with new hardware with that setup..especially if it was a show ride
Old 07-03-12, 08:57 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
Yes I do remember that a random member had said that, because he did that "same" procedure with the LS430 and assumed the same theory would carry over with an LS460 as well.

A friend of mine at the local Lexus dealership and I experimented with this. There is indeed a way to remove the system, but it requires a Lexus specific tool and a lot of patience in order to remove this entire system and have zero errors. I can't remember the specifics to it, but it's not as simple as the LS430 just removing the suspension and all its sensors.

I have never heard of anyone with a LWB replacing their entire suspension with an aftermarket air suspension until Nat mentioned it the other day.
Old 07-03-12, 09:25 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Yes I do remember that a random member had said that, because he did that "same" procedure with the LS430 and assumed the same theory would carry over with an LS460 as well.

A friend of mine at the local Lexus dealership and I experimented with this. There is indeed a way to remove the system, but it requires a Lexus specific tool and a lot of patience in order to remove this entire system and have zero errors. I can't remember the specifics to it, but it's not as simple as the LS430 just removing the suspension and all its sensors.

I have never heard of anyone with a LWB replacing their entire suspension with an aftermarket air suspension until Nat mentioned it the other day.
Brian, I guess I'll be the ginny pig...lol. Air suspension has been order so there's no turning back.
I guess that what this forum is for...explore and learn.
Old 07-03-12, 09:36 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

There's someone out in Hawaii that's using AR on his LWB, Forjworks did the install.

Name:  551914_410781652265290_1985305043_n.jpg
Views: 4063
Size:  69.8 KB

Last edited by datplayaz; 07-03-12 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Factory Air Suspension 101: Share your A/S knowledge here