LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Should Sue Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 07:29 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I've never understood why copying good ideas from other products when creating a new product makes that new product inferior.

I develop software. Did I invent a "Shell sort"? No, I copied the idea when I implemented it in an application. Was that application inferior because I copied the idea of a "Shell sort"? I don't think so.

I drove a Camry for many years. The Camry copies many concepts from other manufacturers, and improved on them.

Does this somehow make the vehicle "Impure" or in any way inferior because it's not comprised of parts that never existed in other vehicles?

HBH
I can't speak for others, but I certainly never said that anything was "impure". Copying ideas happens all the time in business. That doesn't mean I think it's a great thing when it's so blatantly obvious. It's sort of like a comedian going up on stage and telling another comedian's joke like they are his own. I personally don't think the Genesis is in (or will ever be) in the same league with the LS. I just found it interesting how closely Hyundai copied the LS' design.

John
Old 06-18-12, 11:37 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not bet against Hyundai matching Lexus in the very near future. As said before, Hyundai is playing the same game that Lexus did when it first came out against Mercedes. They spend a lot of time determining what the luxury buyers want and provide it a lower cost. Sure the early version of the Equus is a knockoff of the LS but, as also said before, the early LS was a blatant Mercedes knock-off.

I also feel Lexus has dropped the ball recently in terms of quality and service and I think having Hyundai around snapping at its heels might help to snap Lexus out of its routine.

Last edited by edarte; 06-19-12 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 12:05 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I talked to a guy one day, a few months ago, in a parking lot who had an LS and asked him if he liked it. He said it was OK but had had a lot of problems. He said with no prompting on my part that he was going to look at Audi's and Hyundai's next time he bought a car.
Old 06-18-12, 12:11 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Helmar
I've never understood why copying good ideas from other products when creating a new product makes that new product inferior.

I develop software. Did I invent a "Shell sort"? No, I copied the idea when I implemented it in an application. Was that application inferior because I copied the idea of a "Shell sort"? I don't think so.

I drove a Camry for many years. The Camry copies many concepts from other manufacturers, and improved on them.

Does this somehow make the vehicle "Impure" or in any way inferior because it's not comprised of parts that never existed in other vehicles?

HBH

+1 Exactly. Agreed.
Old 06-18-12, 12:12 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
I had a 2000 Accord that was really a great car. Then they got bigger, less useful, lower MPG, and I lost my interest.
So get a Civic. Today's Civic is roughly equivalent to yesterday's Accord.
Old 06-18-12, 12:14 PM
BrianTyler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a joke right? everybody copies something and tries to make it better...come on now...it's life
Old 06-19-12, 12:20 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is idiotic. if the manufacturers dont care why do you?
Old 11-28-12, 11:04 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acnup00tl
Hyundai steals from every car maker in the world , when it comes to design , Its like an Invicta watch, total ripoff of every SWISS watch BRAND. I hate Hyundai's with a passion , the H emblem alone makes me want to vomit.

Found this thread googling Lexus lawsuits, and could not stop laughing. Owning both cars it is very easy to see Hyundai making no attempt to hide a practice of copying parts off the lexus and incorporate into our Genesis. Lexus should consider copying the 429 hp V8 that completely out performs the Lexus V8, and copy the window sticker that rings up at about a third of the cost of the LS. Forget about the absense of valve recalls, and lack of owner loyalty. Ok any more and I may get accused of trolling, but as one unsatisified Lexus owner, praise for the up and comming brands that give better value, performance, and dare I say quality. Still feeling sick?