LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 03:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I think of it, my bi-xexon high beam does light up right away, so it's possible. The new LS really should offer headsup display, having the speed, cruise, nav direction right in front of you on the windshield is in deed very helpful.
Old 08-04-12, 04:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Now I think of it, my bi-xexon high beam does light up right away, so it's possible. The new LS really should offer headsup display, having the speed, cruise, nav direction right in front of you on the windshield is in deed very helpful.
It doesn't off HUD? I really hope the IS will get it. I've only seen a few photos at a Lexus future product event but no word on specifications. They kept that under wraps
Old 08-04-12, 04:40 PM
Car Nut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatsSoxfan
It's been a while since I posted on Club Lexus. I love the new look of the 2013 LS. I am planing to sell my 2008 LS 460L and most likely order the new LS SWB with basically all the available options. I have one question that I don't believe has been answered yet. On the specs, I have not seen that the Heads-up Display is available on the new LS. Is this just an oversight by Lexus and it is indeed available? I can't imagine why it would not be. After all, I believe even the new ES has it. I am asking since I really like this option on my wife's RX 450h.
I was also hoping that the new LS will have HUD as my wife's RX has it and I like the feature especially the turn arrows for navigation. But seeing the new LS dash I can understand why Lexus left it out. I don't think there is enough space behind the instrument pod to house a HUD unit. Again while I enjoy the feature I do not like the big hole that is needed on the top of the dash to project the image. Next proper model change will I am sure have it in color!
Old 08-04-12, 06:24 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by spwolf
unfortunately I dont think it is in... and thats too bad, i love heads up... it is so simple and yet so useful.
That's too bad, but this will not change my mind about ordering the new LS. I absolutely love everything about it (except for the no HUD).
Old 08-04-12, 06:32 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Thanks Car Nut. As I just posted above, I will have to do without it. There are SO many other high tech features, that I will be busy "playing" with those. I am especially excited about the radar cruise that can be used at any speed. The advanced PCS sounds very exciting and a terrific safety option. The lane assist with cross traffic alert is another awesome option. I can't wait to place my order.
Old 08-04-12, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Rather than lighting up almost instantly, xenons take a fraction of a second to light up.
Also, when xenons first light up, they are not at maximum brightness; it takes so many seconds to reach their maximum brightness.

High beams must flash almost instantly to indicate.
Thus, high beams are usually use either conventional warm tint halogen bulbs, or cool tint LED emitters...
Originally Posted by blacksc400
try bmw and mb bi-xenon and use it to flash, i can tell you it flashes just fine and bright.
Old 08-05-12, 05:38 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Rather than lighting up almost instantly, xenons take a fraction of a second to light up.
Also, when xenons first light up, they are not at maximum brightness; it takes so many seconds to reach their maximum brightness.

High beams must flash almost instantly to indicate.
Thus, high beams are usually use either conventional warm tint halogen bulbs, or cool tint LED emitters...
High beam and low beam comes out of the same projector and the ony difference is the shutter that spreads the light differently when you turn on your high beams.
Old 08-05-12, 11:01 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
apparently many want it... i should talk to my govt to lower the taxes
In Croatia?

If they're high now, then enjoy them now.............cause once Croatia joins the EU in 2015, I feel that there would be those in Brussels who might be calling the shots for you guys and you guys would be asked for funds (from your own pockets) to help stop the Eurozone debt crisis.
Old 08-05-12, 11:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
In Croatia?

If they're high now, then enjoy them now.............cause once Croatia joins the EU in 2015, I feel that there would be those in Brussels who might be calling the shots for you guys and you guys would be asked for funds (from your own pockets) to help stop the Eurozone debt crisis.
its 1 July 2013, i doubt it... we have some of the highest taxes on cars above $10k... for cars like LS, it is literally more than 110% of total taxes.
Old 08-05-12, 12:01 PM
SDkath
Driver School Candidate

Back to the car topic...

Any word on changes in the trunk size compared to the current Lexus? I would love to see just a bit more space, esp in the back where those "indents" keep luggage from fitting well.
Old 08-05-12, 12:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SDkath
Back to the car topic...

Any word on changes in the trunk size compared to the current Lexus? I would love to see just a bit more space, esp in the back where those "indents" keep luggage from fitting well.
current LS? I doubt there were any changes to the trunk space.
Old 08-05-12, 06:36 PM
Car Nut
Driver

Default 2010 LS and 2013 LS- personal observations

This morning after downloading all the photos of the 2013 LS on to my iPad, I sat in my 2010 AWD LS460 to have a comparison of the two cars. My opinion is that Lexus has done a great job with the upcoming model.

Interior:

I like the new dashboard. At first sight it may look generic and too ‘common’ with the GS and the ES. But on close observation one can notice the better arrangement of the buttons and ***** – more linear and symmetrical. The inside temperature settings are indicated in nice solid numbers without any broken lines or jagged edges. Even the blue color is very pleasing to the eye.

I generally prefer the four spoke steering wheel but the extra wood at 6 o’clock gives it a substantial look, and I assume feel as well. Certainly looks elegant and exclusive in the Shimamoku Espresso wood. I estimated that the heated leather area of the steering wheel is reduced by about 25% but this may not matter too much as the car is supposed to warm up faster from a quick response heater.

I like that all the buttons are on the steering wheel and not behind it (volume, talk switch) like in the current model and they seem to be placed for easy access.

Because the overall number of buttons in the dash is less in the new model, the remote touch interface will have to be used for many functions. Herein lies my worry that some drivers may not be comfortable with using it. That being said, I use the remote access in my wife’s 2013 RX and it is very easy to use. Lexus sales personnel will have to do a lot of ‘tutoring’ to their new customers.

The center arm rest looks identical to the current model and I hope that the remote access mouse button falls naturally to the fingers when resting the right arm on the center arm rest. Looking at pictures from the side, I observed that the leather covered cushion of the remote access is tilted up to make a comfortable rest for the wrist.

I am concerned about cup holders being placed ahead of the remote touch (spilling liquids) and interference with the radio controls (small cups only!). I am sure there is sufficient space for my favorite beverage.

A little bit of wood would have been nice in the gear shift lever but may be it is nice in person but may not be very friendly to your hand on those winter days here in Canada. I suppose I will get used to the leather boot in the lever.

Really like the rotary drive mode select ****. It looks beautifully finished in pictures – almost white. Much better than the individual switches controlling those functions in my car now.

I don’t understand the auto function of the seat heaters but I assume it has to do with the Lexus Climate Concierge.

From the video, I know that there are LEDs beneath the aluminum panel on the dashboard but I don’t think that the doors have a LED strip like the GS does. I am sure the “light show” will be interesting every time the car is started.

I am happy that the TPM system will identify individual wheels.

The front seats are stitched differently may be giving extra thigh support and they look nice.

Can’t comment much about the rear accommodations as most pictures are of the executive package with the ottoman and DVD entertainment. But they look very comfortable.

Exterior:

Much has been written on it in the past few days. I like the regular LS front than the F Sport front. I think the regular front is more in keeping with a flagship luxury sedan. I like the contours on the front fenders and the lights are amazingly well done.

The trunk lid has the nice gentle wedge shaped edge that is more rounded in the current car. Like the shape of exhaust tips – they seem different than mine. And of course the rear lights meeting in the middle. Very nice.

I am looking forward to the test drive reports that would pour in next week. I like to know more about the handling characteristics of the regular LS (I am sure the F Sport will be amazing) and also how quiet it is. Personally, I don’t want to hear the engine when I am in the car. I want to get up to speed quickly and quietly. I also like to know if there are any advances in the RTI. And some videos of the “light show”.
Old 08-05-12, 06:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
High beam and low beam comes out of the same projector and the ony difference is the shutter that spreads the light differently when you turn on your high beams.
that is if the low beam is already on (at night)

but even during the day time with lows off, when i flash, the highs still come on pretty quick
Old 08-06-12, 12:21 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, almost instantly, I know since I did some flashs!
Old 08-06-12, 12:28 AM
SDkath
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Car Nut
This morning after downloading all the photos of the 2013 LS on to my iPad, I sat in my 2010 AWD LS460 to have a comparison of the two cars. My opinion is that Lexus has done a great job with the upcoming model.

Interior:

I like the new dashboard. At first sight it may look generic and too ‘common’ with the GS and the ES. But on close observation one can notice the better arrangement of the buttons and ***** – more linear and symmetrical. The inside temperature settings are indicated in nice solid numbers without any broken lines or jagged edges. Even the blue color is very pleasing to the eye.

I generally prefer the four spoke steering wheel but the extra wood at 6 o’clock gives it a substantial look, and I assume feel as well. Certainly looks elegant and exclusive in the Shimamoku Espresso wood. I estimated that the heated leather area of the steering wheel is reduced by about 25% but this may not matter too much as the car is supposed to warm up faster from a quick response heater.

I like that all the buttons are on the steering wheel and not behind it (volume, talk switch) like in the current model and they seem to be placed for easy access.

Because the overall number of buttons in the dash is less in the new model, the remote touch interface will have to be used for many functions. Herein lies my worry that some drivers may not be comfortable with using it. That being said, I use the remote access in my wife’s 2013 RX and it is very easy to use. Lexus sales personnel will have to do a lot of ‘tutoring’ to their new customers.

The center arm rest looks identical to the current model and I hope that the remote access mouse button falls naturally to the fingers when resting the right arm on the center arm rest. Looking at pictures from the side, I observed that the leather covered cushion of the remote access is tilted up to make a comfortable rest for the wrist.

I am concerned about cup holders being placed ahead of the remote touch (spilling liquids) and interference with the radio controls (small cups only!). I am sure there is sufficient space for my favorite beverage.

A little bit of wood would have been nice in the gear shift lever but may be it is nice in person but may not be very friendly to your hand on those winter days here in Canada. I suppose I will get used to the leather boot in the lever.

Really like the rotary drive mode select ****. It looks beautifully finished in pictures – almost white. Much better than the individual switches controlling those functions in my car now.

I don’t understand the auto function of the seat heaters but I assume it has to do with the Lexus Climate Concierge.

From the video, I know that there are LEDs beneath the aluminum panel on the dashboard but I don’t think that the doors have a LED strip like the GS does. I am sure the “light show” will be interesting every time the car is started.

I am happy that the TPM system will identify individual wheels.

The front seats are stitched differently may be giving extra thigh support and they look nice.

Can’t comment much about the rear accommodations as most pictures are of the executive package with the ottoman and DVD entertainment. But they look very comfortable.

Exterior:

Much has been written on it in the past few days. I like the regular LS front than the F Sport front. I think the regular front is more in keeping with a flagship luxury sedan. I like the contours on the front fenders and the lights are amazingly well done.

The trunk lid has the nice gentle wedge shaped edge that is more rounded in the current car. Like the shape of exhaust tips – they seem different than mine. And of course the rear lights meeting in the middle. Very nice.

I am looking forward to the test drive reports that would pour in next week. I like to know more about the handling characteristics of the regular LS (I am sure the F Sport will be amazing) and also how quiet it is. Personally, I don’t want to hear the engine when I am in the car. I want to get up to speed quickly and quietly. I also like to know if there are any advances in the RTI. And some videos of the “light show”.
Thanks for the helpful review. Your cup comment has me really worried now because that's just one of those things that I use 10x in one drive to work -- more than the A/C or the radio. It better not be some small cup holder that allows only the smallest glasses to work without messing with the radio controls. OY.

I don't get the big hype about how it looks "just like a GS." Unless one drives an LS AND a GS alll the time, I don't think it makes one bit of difference if the GS is similar inside. I personally haven't had a GS in over 10 years so I would care less if my LS "matches" other people's GSs. I have always found the LS to have a much more refined look and feel in a minor but important way compared to the smaller Lexuses, so I am betting this will be the case with the new LS's interior also.

I agree -- I hope it's quiet! And as powerful as my current LS. And that joystick thingy has me a little freaked out. Last time I got to play with one of those was in a BMW 7 series last year and it did NOT work well... I hope Lexus kept it simple and intuitive.

Quick Reply: Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread