LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

automatic headlights not turning off

Old 04-06-13, 09:54 AM
Grendal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I very recently purchased a 2007 CPO LS 460--same problem. Fortunately, I returned to the garage an hour or so after leaving the car with the lights set on "Auto." I brought the car back to the dealer who fixed the problem. Turned out to be a short in the courtesy light door switch, driver's door. According to the service manager, this problem will keep the "Auto" mechanism from working. The service history indicates this car is on its 3rd or 4th battery. Let's hope this issue is resolved.
Old 05-23-13, 04:15 PM
bkaley
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Nothing about these sequences seem to indicate abnormal operation.

Are you aware of the customizable delay? The headlight "Auto Off" - not to be confused with that "Auto" position on the light control stalk on the left side of the steering wheel - is an autonomous feature that turns off the headlights after a delay that can be customized by your dealer. The delay options are 0 or 30 or 60 or 90 seconds. The delay begins when the last door/trunk is closed and is not altered by when you lock your doors, either with the handle button or by operating the remote key one time. The delay can be terminated to zero by pressing the "Lock" symbol on the remote key two times in quick succession.

You can determine how the Auto Off Delay is set by getting out your stop watch. Get in your car, Set the lights to "On" (that is the position that has the headlight symbol, one step CW from the Auto position) and start your car. Now, turn your ignition off, open the door and get out. Start your stopwatch when you close the door and watch the headlights. The timing is precise, so if they are not off in 90 seconds or less then there is a problem.
Somehow I have gotten caught up in this twighlite zone of a forum without finding much useful information pertaining to what features have to be set by the dealer. I remember seeing a list of those features from a google search but am having a hard time sifting through all these useless comments like " getting out your stopwatch"
Old 05-23-13, 04:31 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by bkaley
Somehow I have gotten caught up in this twighlite zone of a forum without finding much useful information pertaining to what features have to be set by the dealer. I remember seeing a list of those features from a google search but am having a hard time sifting through all these useless comments like " getting out your stopwatch"
Watch it on those useless comments about useless comments!

We'll be sending you our customary bill for a "book reading fee."

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-settings.html

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-23-13 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 05:31 AM
Aringel
Driver School Candidate

Default Automatic headlights wont turn off

I have the same problem as previously described.
I had no problem for years until recently.
Lights have always been on auto. I will close the door and press the lock button on the door handle as usual and hear the audible tone as always.
Sometimes after 30 sec delay lights will not turn off and battery once was discharged completely.
Old 12-10-13, 06:55 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Aringel
I have the same problem as previously described.
I had no problem for years until recently.
Lights have always been on auto. I will close the door and press the lock button on the door handle as usual and hear the audible tone as always.
Sometimes after 30 sec delay lights will not turn off and battery once was discharged completely.
You are experiencing the classic symptoms of a defective "door jamb switch" on the driver's door jamb. Repair is simple and inexpensive. The part is available at Lexus and Toyota dealers and is inexpensive. You can get the switch replaced at Lexus dealers, Toyota dealers, body shops, independent mechanics or you can DIY. The labor takes about 10 minutes.
Old 12-10-13, 07:16 AM
Aringel
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlights on auto won't turn off

Thanks so much jm. Really appreciated!!!!!
Old 08-13-14, 02:23 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lights stay on!

What I don't see explained in the posts is why my lights don't stay on in stalk positon #2, which is just BEFORE the Automatic position #3. If the auto off sensor is default, why is it letting me run out bmy battery in that positon..doors locked, key removed etc. I understand perfectly how the AUTO position works, and am happy with it EXCEPT when it's rainng or snowing, in which case my sensitivities tell the head/tail lights its usually still too bright to turn on lights, so I switch the post to position two and almost always forget they're still on when I stop, being that there's no annoying bell that chimes to warn of the lights on in daylight.
Is position two an override, for diagnostics, etc...it sure doesn't shut down for me within any time interval. If so, I wonder if ANY of the lighting auto sensitivity adjustments can be accurate enough (this is an sc430) to sense rain or snow and come on...seems to me it would be impossible, but I like DRL's on all the time, so maybe I shouldn't care!
Old 08-13-14, 04:24 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
What I don't see explained in the posts is why my lights don't stay on in stalk positon #2, which is just BEFORE the Automatic position #3. If the auto off sensor is default, why is it letting me run out bmy battery in that positon..doors locked, key removed etc. I understand perfectly how the AUTO position works, and am happy with it EXCEPT when it's rainng or snowing, in which case my sensitivities tell the head/tail lights its usually still too bright to turn on lights, so I switch the post to position two and almost always forget they're still on when I stop, being that there's no annoying bell that chimes to warn of the lights on in daylight.
Is position two an override, for diagnostics, etc...it sure doesn't shut down for me within any time interval. If so, I wonder if ANY of the lighting auto sensitivity adjustments can be accurate enough (this is an sc430) to sense rain or snow and come on...seems to me it would be impossible, but I like DRL's on all the time, so maybe I shouldn't care!
I don't think you have a clear understanding of how the headlights work. It is not possible to deplete the battery by accidently leaving the headlights on if all is well with the car. It is very likely that you have a defective door-jamb switch on the driver's door. We have discussed this extensively in this thread and several other threads. If you will read this thread from Post #1 - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...rning-off.html - I think you will be able to resolve your problem quickly. Although you seem to be talking about an SC430, most modern luxury cars have had this technology for many years and this will apply to your car too.
Old 08-17-14, 08:39 AM
jmcraney

I can tell, by watching the "views" count on this thread, that there continues to be some interest in this subject.

Here is a link to another thread that might be helpful too: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...mb-switch.html

If you find that you have a defective Door Jamb Switch I hope you will report your experience to the NHTSA at: www.Safercar.gov
Old 08-18-14, 01:39 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default lights are on! lights are on!

Does anyone remember the talking voice that reminded Eddie Murphy about that s-#%?
For all the techno speak, I can't get a straight answer from this board or my Lexus service advisors: ARE THE HEADLAMPS SUPPOSED TO AUTO SHUT OFF IN ANY HEADLAMP STALK POSITION (OTHER THAN 'AUTO' OR OFF, OF COURSE).
MY CAR AUTO SHUTS THE HEADLAMPS IN 'AUTO'' POSITION, SO I THINK THE WRITER WHO SAID SHUT OFF IS AUTONOMOUS IS NOT WRITING FROM AN 02 SC430!
The fact that my headlamps turn off in 30 secs in the auto setting and not in others leads me to believe it ain't the door jamb.

Last edited by Buggeroff6; 08-18-14 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 02:38 PM
jmcraney

I will try again to explain the headlight operation to you.

The AUTO position on the light control stem affects how the lights behave only when the IGNITION SWITCH is ON. When the IGNITION SWITCH is ON the headlights are off and on in response to the ambient light conditions - ON for low light and OFF for bright light conditions. The light sensor for this feature is located in the top of the dash near the windshield margin. If you cover the sensor operation is uncertain. The AUTO feature is a nice safety feature that prevents you from driving without your headlights in low light conditions. The AUTO position has nothing to do with turning your lights off after you turn the ignition off.

For the past 30 or 40 years most cars have been equipped with a lights-auto-off feature to insure that the lights don't remain on after the ignition is turned off. This feature is autonomous, with no controls and no adjustments as to off and on or sensitivity. Some cars have an adjustable delay to set the interval from ignition-off to lights-off. For most of the cars this auto-off sequence is started by ignition off - driver's door open - driver's door closed. For most cars the driver's-door-open/driver's-door-closed is sensed by the door jamb switch on the driver's door.

Last edited by jmcraney; 08-18-14 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-19-14, 07:37 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
Does anyone remember the talking voice that reminded Eddie Murphy about that s-#%?
For all the techno speak, I can't get a straight answer from this board or my Lexus service advisors: ARE THE HEADLAMPS SUPPOSED TO AUTO SHUT OFF IN ANY HEADLAMP STALK POSITION (OTHER THAN 'AUTO' OR OFF, OF COURSE).
MY CAR AUTO SHUTS THE HEADLAMPS IN 'AUTO'' POSITION, SO I THINK THE WRITER WHO SAID SHUT OFF IS AUTONOMOUS IS NOT WRITING FROM AN 02 SC430!
The fact that my headlamps turn off in 30 secs in the auto setting and not in others leads me to believe it ain't the door jamb.
After carefully reading what you said, I think it is likely that you don't have a problem and what you are experiencing is a result of your testing method. The lights-auto-off feature has a function that allows the Parking Lights (you refer to this as "position 1") or the headlights (you refer to this as "position 2") to remain on when the ignition is off for circumstances when you would not want the lights to go off after the delay. You invoke this by turning the **** on the control stem to OFF after the IGNITION is OFF and then back to Parking Lights or Headlights. Then the lights will remain on until the ignition is turned on and then off and a door is opened followed by all door closed or the battery is depleted or the lights are turned off with the **** on the control stem.

If you want to test the lights-auto-off feature for the parking lights (position 1) or headlights (position 2) then you need to set the stem control to parking lights on or headlights on and then turn the Ignition Switch OFF, if it is on, or ON and OFF, open at least one door and then insure all doors are closed and wait for the delay to expire. This sounds a little complex but normally if you turn your ignition OFF while any of the lights are on and open a door and close all doors the lights will go off after the delay, no matter how the stem control is set if you don't change the stem control after you turn the ignition off.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-22-20, 05:56 AM
GreggyG
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I think my multiplex network door computer went bad also. Where is it located? My bulb is good and my door switch is good but there is only 9v going to the door connector when the door is open and then it actually raises a bit when I push in the door switch. So, there is a constant drain in my battery. What else could cause this? I don’t think it’s a bad ground because I also noticed that the oem bulb assembly plastic has weird discolored residue in it and therefore something must have happened to blow it out or short it in some way?