LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'Hold' feature - how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-12, 05:50 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 'Hold' feature - how does it work?

Does anyone know how this feature actually works? I mean 'under the hood'. Is it holding hydraulic pressure to all 4 wheels? Is it simply engaging the parking brake on the rear wheels?

My guess is it is simply applying the parking brake - am I wrong?
Old 06-03-12, 07:09 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
Does anyone know how this feature actually works? I mean 'under the hood'. Is it holding hydraulic pressure to all 4 wheels? Is it simply engaging the parking brake on the rear wheels?

My guess is it is simply applying the parking brake - am I wrong?
When i hit my button and it engages, I hear the sounds of "grunting"..almost as if very little minature like people jump out from under the car and run to hold the car back by pushing against the front bumper ...lol

Actually, i would bet parking brakes as well since they are already electronically activated and then another signal that triggers the brake lights to stay on when HOLD is activated.
Old 06-03-12, 07:20 AM
GregCon
Driver

Little people...I hadn't thought of that. Then again, they are always after me lucky charms.

The reason I ask is twofold. First, I noticed my Hold is not that strong, so I suspect it's not all 4 wheels. Second, I noticed when re-doing my main brakes that the parking brake shoes showed a lot of signs of 'activity' and wear, which is odd since I never use the parking brake.

My concern is the Hold feature is wearing out the parking brake shoes...they are small and don't have a ton of capacity. If the Hold uses the Parking brake then I 'd better start thinking about replacing the shoes soon.
Old 06-03-12, 08:24 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the car is stopped when Hold is engaged.

you think the clamping power is wearing out the pads?

love this feature in traffic, HATE it when pulling into the garage!
Old 06-03-12, 10:02 AM
GregCon
Driver

I know the car is stopped when it is engaged - but every time you take off by using the gas the linings see a little wear until they are released.

I'll put it this way - in my estimation the parking brake linings will need replacement by 50K miles due to simply being worn out. That kind of wear doesn't happen from being used as a parking brake all by itself.

I know what you mean...it's a real pain to inch into the garage when the Hold is active.
Old 06-03-12, 12:53 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
When i hit my button and it engages, I hear the sounds of "grunting"..almost as if very little minature like people jump out from under the car and run to hold the car back by pushing against the front bumper ...lol

Actually, i would bet parking brakes as well since they are already electronically activated and then another signal that triggers the brake lights to stay on when HOLD is activated.
C'mon, Uncle Jitty ...... GET SERIOUS, Son !!!!! Ya know full well it's just those little Japanese guys who installed your Super Deluxe (EXTRA SOFT and delusionally Elegant !) leather interior inside your LS who are still riding around in yer trunk !!!!

One day they're gonna jump up and grab you and abduct you into outer space !!!! So be really careful !!!!

Mikey Lulejian and his usual fantasies out on Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 06-03-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-04-12, 10:29 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think it's the parking brake. You can hear the parking break release when you put it reverse from park. You dont hear anything like that when using the hold feature. I can see it holding pressure in the front or rear brakes. And I don't think it allows you to use it on steep declines because in order to release the hold you have to press the gas pedal and pressing the gas pedal down hill is dangerous and a liability for Lexus. I don't remember it not working while going up hill.
Old 06-05-12, 10:49 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny. My hold button is right above my trunk monkey button. Everytime I push the hold button, the same little monkey comes out and keeps the car from moving.