LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air suspension reliability, LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-16, 06:13 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Should be quite a bit that's already been written on the Air Shock reliability, but I think the general consensus is that they do tend to wear out and need to be replaced fairly commonly after 50-75K miles. All 4 of the Air Shocks on my 2008 LS600hL were replaced between 45-55K miles. I'm currently at 75K miles, and they are doing fine for now. Hoping to get Lexus to pay for one more replacement set at some point while my car is still under warranty (extended CPO warranty is good through 2020).
Sorry, newbie questions. Can you please share your experience about replacing the shocks? What were the symptoms that indicated the air suspension was going bad? Were all four replaced at the same time or at different times over 45-55000 miles? Were all air suspension components covered by the warranty, i.e., nothing was considered to be a wear/tear item?
Old 07-29-16, 06:02 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Sorry, newbie questions. Can you please share your experience about replacing the shocks? What were the symptoms that indicated the air suspension was going bad? Were all four replaced at the same time or at different times over 45-55000 miles? Were all air suspension components covered by the warranty, i.e., nothing was considered to be a wear/tear item?
All of my air shocks were replaced under original warranty by the previous owner before I bought the car. The Right Rear shock was replaced at 41,363 miles, the Left Rear shock was replaced at 47,037 miles, and both front shocks were replaced (along with the upper control arms) at 57,999 miles. Here are the complete details from the MyLexus web site service history:

41,363 miles: OTHERS ~|~INSPECT FOR NOISE FROM REAR SUSPENSION -- ADVISE TUNMPING NOISE OVER BUMPS ~|~RT RR STRUT IS NOISY,STICKING ~|~REPLACED THE RT RR STRUT ASSEMBLY

47,037 miles: FRONT/REAR BODY ~|~C/S CHECK SUSPENSION FOR ROUGHER THAN NORMAL RIDE ~|~ ~|~CONDITION CORRECTED WITH REPAIRS MADE ON LINE 2FRONT/REAR BODY ~|~C/S CHECK SUSPENSION, DRIVERS SIDE REAR SITS LOWER (ALMOST ON TOP OF TIRE) INTERMIT AND VEHICLE HAS A ROUGH RIDE. INTERMIT AFTER SITTING A WHILE THE HEIGHT WILL CORRECT ON ITS OWN. ~|~DRIVERS SIDE REAR STRUT HAS A LOSS OF TENSION ~|~REPLACED STRUT--NOISE GONE AND RIDE QUALITY HAS IMPROVED.

57,999 miles: FRONT AXLE ~|~CUSTOMER STATES:CLUNKING N OISE FROM THE FRONT OVER BUMPS ~|~THERE IS EXCESS PLAY IN ALL 4 FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARMS AND BOTH FRONT SHOCKS ARE LEAKING AND NOISEY. REPALCE THE FRONT SHOCKS AND ACTUATORS. REPLACE ALL 4 FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARMS. ~|~...BILL TO: LEXUS EXTRA CARE ...AUTHORIZATION # VSA2XI4322
Old 07-29-16, 10:07 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

My RF air strut died at 48k and was replaced under warranty. Nobody makes a truly reliable air suspension, but Lexus is the best from that perspective.

I was just thinking about the advantages of air suspension while driving the 2011 Sport to work this morning. 4-corner auto-level, self-lowering at highway speeds for better aerodynamics, HEIGHT HIGH setting for steep driveway entrances and bumpy dirt roads, adjustable shock damping, and a softer ride vs. the standard coils. But on small ridges and broken pavement, the 19" tires cancel out some of the advantages of the air suspension vs. the 18s with their taller, more compliant sidewalls. I was thinking the ultimate for ride quality would be a 460L with air suspension and the 18" wheels (and probably Michelin tires). The only way to get a softer ride would be to somehow put 75-series tires on it. Speaking of that, I test-drove a Town Car way back in 1990 and that was the softest-riding car I've ever driven - it had air suspension, soft shock tuning, and 75-series tires.
Old 07-29-16, 01:39 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Tec80
I was just thinking about the advantages of air suspension while driving the 2011 Sport to work this morning. 4-corner auto-level, self-lowering at highway speeds for better aerodynamics, HEIGHT HIGH setting for steep driveway entrances and bumpy dirt roads, adjustable shock damping, and a softer ride vs. the standard coils. I was thinking the ultimate for ride quality would be a 460L with air suspension and the 18" wheels (and probably Michelin tires). The only way to get a softer ride would be to somehow put 75-series tires on it.
I have been intrigued by the same thought: 18 inch wheels on my 2014 460L for an even cushier ride. Are there any out there? I would love to see pics
Old 07-29-16, 04:13 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a 2004 LS with air suspension and only changed the right rear strut once in 12 years.
Old 05-12-17, 03:26 PM
KKRlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any warning before the air shocks go bad? Can they totally deflate unexpectedly?
Old 05-12-17, 03:48 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

When my LR air shock I can't say it totally deflated but I noticed a thumping/bumping noise coming from the rear. I would hear this noise going over speed bumps and even small potholes. I though my spare tire or something in the trunk was loose but noting was. I had this problem on another vehicle that I owned and somewhat knew what the problem might be. It was covered under my extended warranty.
Old 05-12-17, 06:34 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

The 430 was especially reliable with the air struts. I went to 148k on my UL without any issues. I also have air struts on the A8 which just hit 60k miles. On the Audi I am told they are pretty reliable and should expect 100k+ miles out of them. We shall see.
Old 05-15-17, 07:07 AM
KKRlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 82,000mi on my 460L and was concerned about when I should expect to replace the Air Struts. But so far so good. And I can still feel a difference between the "Comfort" & "Sport" settings.
Old 05-15-17, 07:52 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Mine are holding at 85K as well, but I certainly have a rainy day fund for if/when they decide to quit on me. If they hold out long enough I may just apply those funds to a real air setup.
Old 04-15-19, 10:15 AM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have encountered the check air suspension light on mine it is a 2015 LS 460 FSport. I took it into the dealer and they said there seems to be water in the Height Control Sensor. Has anyone on here encountered that? I just got off the phone with Lexus Corporate as the dealership is saying this is not covered.
Old 04-15-19, 02:34 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
I have encountered the check air suspension light on mine it is a 2015 LS 460 FSport. I took it into the dealer and they said there seems to be water in the Height Control Sensor. Has anyone on here encountered that? I just got off the phone with Lexus Corporate as the dealership is saying this is not covered.
well it’s a cheap part if you have another reliable place to fix it bring it there to have it fixed. I only bring car to dealer for warranty recalls and diagnosis. Anything that is out of warranty I don’t let them touch.

But it you don’t have a reliable place that you can hold liable for f ups then I would just try and negotiate a lower price or press harder...

i just got lexus to pay for all my direct injectors when I sent the car in for all the 3 recalls, where I am at that costs 4800 usd lol for a 2007 car so you know, the art of the squeeze you either know how to do it or you don’t.
Old 04-15-19, 02:49 PM
TRIUMPHT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
well it’s a cheap part if you have another reliable place to fix it bring it there to have it fixed. I only bring car to dealer for warranty recalls and diagnosis. Anything that is out of warranty I don’t let them touch.

But it you don’t have a reliable place that you can hold liable for f ups then I would just try and negotiate a lower price or press harder...

i just got lexus to pay for all my direct injectors when I sent the car in for all the 3 recalls, where I am at that costs 4800 usd lol for a 2007 car so you know, the art of the squeeze you either know how to do it or you don’t.
Per them the part alone is over $2000 so i am not sure if he named the wrong part. Also the car is under warranty they are saying that part isn't covered as there is water in it, it didn't fail on it's own. That car is under factory warranty still then 2 years of cpo then 5 more years after that.

I am awaiting a call from corporate and i will go from there. I am just trying to find out if anyone else has encountered this issue. In my opinion there has to be something that was not put back right at some point on the car that is causing a leak because my car has never been driven through water or sitting anywhere where water could rise to that level since i have had it.
Old 04-16-19, 03:28 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Per them the part alone is over $2000 so i am not sure if he named the wrong part. Also the car is under warranty they are saying that part isn't covered as there is water in it, it didn't fail on it's own. That car is under factory warranty still then 2 years of cpo then 5 more years after that.

I am awaiting a call from corporate and i will go from there. I am just trying to find out if anyone else has encountered this issue. In my opinion there has to be something that was not put back right at some point on the car that is causing a leak because my car has never been driven through water or sitting anywhere where water could rise to that level since i have had it.
has that area been worked on before? By them? If so you can make that argument with corporate
Old 04-16-19, 04:09 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Mine are holding at 85K as well, but I certainly have a rainy day fund for if/when they decide to quit on me. If they hold out long enough I may just apply those funds to a real air setup.
At 106K miles on 2013 LS. I think I hear a metallic clunk once or twice while slowly going over a speed bump. Wondering if mine is starting to show symptoms. Yes, torrential rainy day fund set aside.

I wasn't aware there is such a sensor and indicator for the air suspension.

Quick Reply: Air suspension reliability, LS460L