LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Prevent Rubbing on 22's

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-12, 09:18 PM
MacLexN
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prevent Rubbing on 22's

Is there a simple, inexpensive, right now fix to stop the rubbing on the rear tires? I'm running 265/30/22 tires and get tire scraping on dips and some turns with a half tank of gas and two small passengers.
Old 05-13-12, 09:39 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MacLexN
Is there a simple, inexpensive, right now fix to stop the rubbing on the rear tires? I'm running 265/30/22 tires and get tire scraping on dips and some turns with a half tank of gas and two small passengers.
what exactly is the tire rubbing on?
Old 05-13-12, 09:43 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a 285/30/22 on mine...with a full car and full tank I don't rub. Your problem must be your offset. A spacer may fix that if the offset is too high. Nothing will fix that if the offset is too low other then fender clearancing. Oh and I'm lowered on tanabes
Old 05-13-12, 10:43 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fender roll, are rubbing the fender lip or the insulation material??
Old 05-13-12, 11:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

265/30 is out of spec. You should go with a 255/30 max or as small as a 245/30
Old 05-14-12, 12:00 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
I have a 285/30/22 on mine...with a full car and full tank I don't rub. Your problem must be your offset. A spacer may fix that if the offset is too high. Nothing will fix that if the offset is too low other then fender clearancing. Oh and I'm lowered on tanabes
Just wait until your springs settle, it makes a difference. I know from experience
Originally Posted by Lextrician
fender roll, are rubbing the fender lip or the insulation material??
Most likely going the insulation. That is where most people are getting it.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I believe he's talking about the rear tires, but that's good advice for the fronts though!

I'm running 295/25's in the rear and have/had the same problem. It use to rub really sometimes with a full car or hard dips. Since I was really lazy to attempt to do anything about it I just ignored it and it eventually punched in the location getting rid of the rub 90%. I don't have problems rubbing with a full car or hard dips anymore, BUT when doing some really, and I mean really, hard turns it does rub. Although, I am not sure whether it's the inner or outer fender that is rubbing when I do that. (most likely inner)

But yeah, I guess my advice to you is to go out with a car full of people and hit some heavy dips!!

LOL jk jk... maybe try to lift the car, take off the wheels, and go at it with a mallet? Something along the lines of that
Old 05-14-12, 12:17 AM
MacLexN
Rookie

I'm running the same size tires front an rear 265/30/22 and the rubbing is in the rear only. Was driving today and noticed that a string of rubber was flapping from the outside of tire. Seems to be rubbing on a small rubber piece under the wheel well on the outside.

How long does it normally take for the springs to "settle in"? Does that mean they stiffin
Old 05-14-12, 12:17 AM
MacLexN
Rookie

I'm running the same size tires front an rear 265/30/22 and the rubbing is in the rear only. Was driving today and noticed that a string of rubber was flapping from the outside of tire. Seems to be rubbing on a small rubber piece under the wheel well on the outside.

How long does it normally take for the springs to "settle in"? Does that mean they stiffin up and don't bottom out anymore?
Old 05-14-12, 11:16 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What are your wheel specs, offsets and all? Also, are you lowered? If so, with what and how much?

You most likely have a bit more aggressive offsets than are safe to run the our cars. If it's been shredding the tire like that I would personally try to resolve the issue ASAP or go back to stock before you pop a tire unwillingly. Iv'e shredded many tires in my past and I can't stress enough how dangerous it is when a tire goes out. You should be able to see where the tire has been hitting since you've been rubbing quite a lot apparently. Most likely you will be able to resolve it with either shaving or rolling your fenders. Post a pic of where it is rubbing if you can. The reason I say that because if you wheels and tires are poking out it is going to require a lot of effort to make it work.
Old 05-15-12, 05:17 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

yeah sounds like a wheel offset issue..but u maybe able to either trim or roll the inside fender lip..
Old 05-15-12, 09:28 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If he has a 9.5" wide wheel, 265/30 is not out of spec.
Old 05-15-12, 10:53 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

To me it definitely sounds like an offset issuse,I say this becuause I'm running 10.5'wheel witb 265/30/22 on the rear of my 460 with an pretty aggressive offset & I knew before hand & by eyeballing it that the rears are gonna need a roll or shave..

O.P. just roll the fenders,you should be good..
Old 05-16-12, 05:59 PM
MacLexN
Rookie

thanks all ... I'm going to search information on "rolling and shaving the rears" ... hopefully I can make it happen in the near future because there's nothing worse than driving an expensive car with tires that scrape when you have guests in the car who wouldn't understand.
Old 05-16-12, 07:14 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

oooooh yeahh... my guest understand!!!! but honestly the 460 suspension is soft too much people in the rears will cause you to rub unless you get the fenders rolled or shaved, plus when you hit certain dips it will rub on the insulation, but that is better than the lip, recommend getting the fenders rolled it will get you about a 1/2 inch if you are wider than that you gonna need a some work (roll and a pull)......
Old 05-16-12, 08:10 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextrician
oooooh yeahh... my guest understand!!!! but honestly the 460 suspension is soft too much people in the rears will cause you to rub unless you get the fenders rolled or shaved, plus when you hit certain dips it will rub on the insulation, but that is better than the lip, recommend getting the fenders rolled it will get you about a 1/2 inch if you are wider than that you gonna need a some work (roll and a pull)......

I just got a headache reading this hahahaha jk!!

Quick Reply: Prevent Rubbing on 22's